Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2011, 10:22 PM

Default Aurora on pt9 questions

Hey everyone. I know there has been some discussion on this topic but I need some things clarified and maybe a few opinions. Before you say search I have been researching a lot of topics on here and GS's and now just need an answer or two.

Right now running PT9. Have access to a mac pro (nahalem), and a macbook pro.

On paper it makes sense that the aurora 16 is the better buy of the two for the extra g-blade or finding used one. Or is the 8 still a good option.

As far as hooking things up is going with the firewire option a solid setup in pt9 ? Is the pcie aese that much better? Ive researched on the lynx support forums but not too much info as far as pt9 and those options.

We have a bunch of nice pre's (who wouldn't want more) and nice mics and instruments. Want to get the conversion going instead of using outdated units.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Aurora on pt9 questions

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know there's no such thing as a "g5 nehalem." Do you mean a Nehalem Mac Pro? A G5 is a (comparatively) very outdated processor.

~peter in oakland
Old 02-17-2011, 07:10 AM

I tried to run PT9 with a Lynx Aurora 16 via the Firewire card a couple of months ago when PT9 first came out. At that time, the Lynx driver would not support the sample buffer sizes required by Pro Tools. In other words, I couldn't get it to work. After weighing my options I picked up a used HD system (HD2 PCI-X cards) for cheap and have been happily running HD since then. But I'd definitely do some more research on the Firewire option before jumping into it if I were you.

edit: I should mention, I was using a PC. Things may be different on a Mac. I don't know.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzam View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know there's no such thing as a "g5 nehalem." Do you mean a Nehalem Mac Pro? A G5 is a (comparatively) very outdated processor.

~peter in oakland

sorry i meant mac pro. was tired.. anyway here is the computer in question

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...lem-specs.html
Old 02-17-2011, 08:14 AM

thanks josh. I also have read some issues and according to this it wont work with windows

http://www.lynxstudio.com/nav/getFil...8&t=newsletter

I am MAC. any successful mac users out there on pt9 ?

If not is there another really nice multi channel piece around this range. I have done my research and from that I want this piece.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:30 PM

bump
Old 02-23-2011, 06:18 PM

bump or input
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua View Post
I tried to run PT9 with a Lynx Aurora 16 via the Firewire card a couple of months ago when PT9 first came out. At that time, the Lynx driver would not support the sample buffer sizes required by Pro Tools. In other words, I couldn't get it to work. After weighing my options I picked up a used HD system (HD2 PCI-X cards) for cheap and have been happily running HD since then. But I'd definitely do some more research on the Firewire option before jumping into it if I were you.

edit: I should mention, I was using a PC. Things may be different on a Mac. I don't know.
Bump. And a question...

I thought I was sure that I could just buy a Lynx Aurora (as the sole interface with a mac) connect it via FW and run PT9. Now, I'm getting paranoid about whether I had understood things correctly or not. So, the question is as simple as this: apple computer + lynx aurora + pt9 + nothing else ---- does it work?
Old 08-20-2011, 12:34 PM

To hook up the Aurora to the computer, you would need either the FW card or USB card to install in the back of the unit. Both are separate purchases.

The problem is that these cards have been apparently not very reliable.

Another option would be to get the Adat card that installs into the Aurora, and go from that into another interface hooked up to your computer, that has adat.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:01 PM

I have 2 Aurora 16's and they both work flawlessly with PT 9. I have 32 ins and outs all hooked up through FW. You do need the FW cards in the Aurora's but I have had no trouble with either card. It has been rock solid for me. I love the set up.
8 gig ram
FW Drives (Multiple)
eSATA Drives (Multiple)

[email protected]