Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)

Old 08-10-2008, 01:20 AM

Question Why 2 dedicated disk drives?

Hey,all- been awhile since I was on DUC last, and I see the DUC look has changed considerably. Looks good. Just got my PTMP installed, and I see from the Pro Tools literature that all recording should be done to a dedicated drive for audio only. Makes sense, and I was planning to get an external Firewire drive anyway. The question is how big? I plan to do 24 bit,96 khz sessions. If I have 16 or so tracks, and 15 minute songs( they might be that long), well the math indicates 80 GB would hold about 20 songs. But here is my question.The Pro Tools website page "hard drive requirements" says "full 32 track, 24 bit, 96 khz performance from two dedicated IDE/ATA or SATA audio drives is supported". The same track count at 48 khz requires just one drive. Is there some reason I'm unaware of that two drives would be necessary or better for 96 khz? And if so, can these two drives be daisychained? Does 96 khz actually need two drives? Or would one drive be sufficient if it's large enough, in my case, 80 GB? I could easily enough, get a 320 GB drive,just in case-but would I need another drive for some reason? I am hoping more experienced people could shed some light on this. Thanks.

iMac,2.66 Ghz core 2 duo processor, 2 GB ram,OS: 10.5.4
PT M-powered, version 7.4 (I plan to download 7.4.2)
M-audio Fast Track Ultra interface
Old 08-10-2008, 09:05 AM

Streaming lots of large files requires some serious disk performance.

Notice that they don't mention FireWire there. That's likely because the bus itself isn't capable of handling that much data especially if you're using a FW based interface. It's just too large a volume of "water" to go through the "pipe".

Since you don't have PCI as an option for additional storage I wouldn't count on being able to do large track counts at high sample rates. As for how many tracks you can actually get you'll just have to do some testing. Never hurts to have a few extra drives handy anyway.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 AM

Thanks for the reply. But I still have a question-if I use 2 drives,as Digidesign recommends, how are they configured? A simple daisychain, or do they have to be in parallel? Also, if it's a Firewire 800 drive, would it not be able to handle massive files? I am new to Firewire and only know what I read about it, but it seems to me that 800 Mbs is plenty fast enough, but maybe there is an aspect to this that I am unaware of? Any info or informed opinions would be appreciated.
Old 08-11-2008, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by montelee View Post
Thanks for the reply. But I still have a question-if I use 2 drives,as Digidesign recommends, how are they configured? A simple daisychain, or do they have to be in parallel?
I could be wrong on this, but I believe the iMac only has one FW bus anyway so I guess it wouldn't matter if they were daisy chained or not.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:11 PM

That could be,I'm not sure-my iMac has two FW ports,one for FW400 and one for FW800. I do not know enough about Firewire ports to know if they could be fed by a single bus. Anyone know this?
Old 08-11-2008, 11:57 PM

I'm not sure about the bus architecture of the newer iMacs, but since they are consumer-oriented Macs I wouldn't be surprised if the FW ports share an internal bus.

This page has guidelines, and a track count chart toward the bottom. This info seems a bit outdated though, and remember that if you're using FW for your I/O that's gonna eat up some bandwidth on the bus.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:28 AM

Default FW400 vs FW800

• Please Note:
    • Hard drives using the Oxford 924 chipset interface have FW800, FW400, USB 2.0, and eSATA ports on them. (In our testing, Digidesign qualified Glyph GT Series Hard Drives with the Oxford 924 chipset)
    • Hard drives using the Oxford 912 chipset interface have USB 2.0, FW400 and FW800 ports on them.
    • Only the use of the FW800 or FW400 interface is supported on these drives with Pro Tools.
  • Up to 4 FireWire 800 daisy-chained drives supported when used without other FireWire drives
  • FireWire 400 and FireWire 800 drives should not be combined
  • For additional information when using an M-Audio FireWire interface when also using a FireWire 800 hard drive, please see this M-Audio Knowledgebase item:
    Problems in combination with FW800 hard drives
Old 08-19-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
That could be,I'm not sure-my iMac has two FW ports,one for FW400 and one for FW800. I do not know enough about Firewire ports to know if they could be fed by a single bus. Anyone know this?
Yes, both 800 and 400 ports are on the same buss and the 800 'dumbs down' once you plug a 400 device in.

You are stuck with the iMac. On all of my systems I have a second FW card (MBPro and G5) that guarantees the interface is always separate from the drive chain.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 PM

Ah, very good- just the info I need. Too bad for me or not too bad depending. I just yesterday received an OWC Mercury Elite-AL Pro Firewire 800 External hard drive. It has the Oxford 912 chipset. If I use it and only it I should be OK, yes?
Old 08-23-2008, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Hey,all- been awhile since I was on DUC last, and I see the DUC look has changed considerably. Looks good. Just got my PTMP installed, and I see from the Pro Tools literature that all recording should be done to a dedicated drive for audio only. Makes sense, and I was planning to get an external Firewire drive anyway. The question is how big? I plan to do 24 bit,96 khz sessions. If I have 16 or so tracks, and 15 minute songs( they might be that long), well the math indicates 80 GB would hold about 20 songs. But here is my question.The Pro Tools website page "hard drive requirements" says "full 32 track, 24 bit, 96 khz performance from two dedicated IDE/ATA or SATA audio drives is supported". The same track count at 48 khz requires just one drive. Is there some reason I'm unaware of that two drives would be necessary or better for 96 khz? And if so, can these two drives be daisychained? Does 96 khz actually need two drives? Or would one drive be sufficient if it's large enough, in my case, 80 GB? I could easily enough, get a 320 GB drive,just in case-but would I need another drive for some reason? I am hoping more experienced people could shed some light on this. Thanks.

iMac,2.66 Ghz core 2 duo processor, 2 GB ram,OS: 10.5.4
PT M-powered, version 7.4 (I plan to download 7.4.2)
M-audio Fast Track Ultra interface
You should download 7.4.2. 7.4 sorta worked on my iMac, but not really. 7.4.2 works great on it.

Second, I use the same interface (Fast Track Ultra), and record to an external Firewire drive. I haven't had any issues with it. The FTU is USB2, and I don't think they fight for the bus.

I think they would recommend 2 drives because 96Khz 24bit audio is quite a bit larger than 44/24 bit. Actually having one hard drive be able to seek and read 30 something tracks would be asking a lot. Two drives would make it doable. Or perhaps RAID-0ing them would be good too.

Also, you should keep a partition on the hard drive just for recording. And you might want to get some sort of disk defragmenting utility as well.