Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2001, 11:53 AM

Default confused about midi

Ok, I admit it, I am new but here is what happened..

I have a Digi 001 on a PC.

Tried midi'ing an alesis sr-16 drum machine and a line 6 pod pro. I know the pod pro has to be last since there is no midi thru so thats where i put it...

im a little confused and I have read the manual and still dont understand.. i wasnt even trying to use the pod at this time, im just letting you know the setup..

i made a track for audio and i made a track for midi and we were messing with the drum machine.

the moment i hit record and then play to actually record, the drum machine would start playing a beat. im assuming pro tools le would turn the selected sample on, but how do i by pass that to manually make a beat?

and i have read that manual, but i guess im just slow.. what is the best way for looping a drum beat? i saw that under midi there is a loop record, would i use that in some way?

also, how do i get the drum machine to use the click track?

now, on to the pod pro, how do i use midi with that? i understand that midi will change the effect on the pod.. i guess what im saying is understand how its suppose to work and what its suppose to do, but i dont understand how to set it up.

i know that the manual comes with a chart for sounds, but is that what i have to do? is somehow put that number on the midi track? or when i record, will it automatically record that i switched the channel? how do i record something in one tone and the go back and modify that sound in the pod?

when i set up this thing, i know i have to use the reamping stuff in the back, but is it that i would plug straight into the digi 001 front, plug in and out into other channels, or do i plug straight into the line 6 and go through modelled out and have reamping setup on other channels?

these manuals assume you already know midi and understand what your reading..

im not sure if this falls under line6 questions, or midi in genereal?

i apologize for my ignorance. if someone has the time, please help me, or give me recommendations...

-dan
Old 02-23-2001, 11:52 AM

Default Re: confused about midi

Sounds like you have the two synched up. If you want to write beats in PT, YOU ARE NOT USING THE SEQUENCER OR TRANSPORTS ON THE DRUM MACHINE!! The drum machine is just a module, so all syncronization must be off. As far as the line 6 POD, it only implements MIDI as far as Program changes, and using Continuous controllers to change some parameters. Sounds like you need some MIDI lessons. Maybe there's a cheap community college near you where you can learn.
Old 02-23-2001, 04:51 PM

Default Re: confused about midi

Siko,

Read Phil's reply at http://duc.digidesign.com/ubb/Forum37/HTML/000070.html Really some good concise info.

doc22