Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-19-2001, 08:28 PM

Default The TIGHTEST midi timing & Romulus & Remus PCI to Serial Cards

Megawolf have a product called a Romulus card which is a PCI serial card that (they claim) will enable the tightest possible midi timing in Pro Tools.(USB sucks)
Is this a fact, has anyone experienced these cards, they say that they are Pro Tools compatible,Digi are they approved and can you confirm this claim?
Bill
Old 02-20-2001, 01:53 AM

Default Re: The TIGHTEST midi timing & Romulus & Remus PCI to Serial Cards

Bill, When you say that USB sucks, in what way does it do so?

I use the midisport 8x8 which links up to my PC (Digi 001, PTLE) by USB or serial. I have just finished setting up my studio (just bought a new house and recently moved in, yipee ) so I haven't really got around to driving my midi interface with a lot of midi traffic - BUT to date I haven't really noticed any loss of synch / timing.

Would you (or any other midi buff)suggest that I connect my interface to my PC using the serial cable, as opposed to USB?

Just in case this is relevant to my question, here is my typical midi application:

Midi Out (of interface):
Akai s2800i
Sherman Filter Bank
Roland XV3080
Zoom FX
Roland MC307
Alesis SR16

Midi In (to interface):
Fatar SL61 midi keyboard
Philip Rees C16

Thanks,

Simon.
Old 02-20-2001, 06:38 AM

Default Re: The TIGHTEST midi timing & Romulus & Remus PCI to Serial Cards

Cant say I have alot of 001 or/PC experience , but for my needs,HUI & Roland active sensing, Keyspan 4 serial port,serial 9 pin control (009),2 serial ports one going to a DTP and the other, Studio 5 both chocka block and working with code slaving and sending(All running on a 9650 Powermac with a G3 466)serial has proven to be rock solid.
I am glad that you have not encountered any timing problems or glitches I know a lot of people who have,but then again, none on PC
Good Luck
Bill