Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2001, 04:44 AM

Default Patch name selection in Windows

I don't know about anybody else, but I consider this to be one of the most basic features needed for sequencing. I have yet to use the MIDI side of Pro Tools for this reason. Please give me some hope that I will be looking at names instead of numbers in the next release...

Jason
Old 02-16-2001, 10:43 AM

Default Re: Patch name selection in Windows

Are there no Windows users in here?
Old 02-16-2001, 11:03 AM

Doesn't the OMS Names program work in Windows as it does with Mac?
Old 02-16-2001, 07:06 PM

OMS is only in the MAC version of PTLE.

There are no instrument names in midi for PTLE for PC. Apparently Windows has midi built in and it was easier to use Windows instead of developing an OMS for Windows. Maybe some day there will be OMS for the PC, or something better to replace it, but for now, numbers it all there is.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-17-2001, 12:28 AM

There is no OMS on windows (probably why there are no names on win yet - digi would have to create the whole thing from scratch). Are there existing name managers (on the OS level) on Windows?

Mike
Old 02-17-2001, 12:40 AM

Everything I have run into as far as patch selection in Windows is determined by the program. There is nothing like OMS that I am aware of. I don't know that much about OMS cause I don't use a Mac but I am right in saying it is no longer in production? I believe others have voiced concerns about compatibility with OSX. If this is the case I believe Digi should implement something such as Cubase has. Its called "patchname scripts." It is very easy to use and does all I need it to do. It allows you to make a text file with all names and corresponding bank and program changes. I don't think it would be that hard for Digi to make something like that.

Jason
Old 02-20-2001, 02:43 AM

I have an old program called "Digital Orchestrator Pro". It's a very basic, cheap, consumer type MIDI and audio program. The instrument selection is very nice in that program. All I have to do is double-click and I get a list of all the general MIDI instruments by name. Then I click on the name of the instrument that I want and it's there. That simple. No numbers.

With Pro Tools I have to keep a General MIDI list so that I know which number to choose to get any particular General MIDI instrument. It couldn't be that hard for Digi to implement this feature. At least for General MIDI, if not for custom configurations.

General MIDI was created so that there would be a standard set of MIDI instruments that would universally work on all systems. All systems that use General MIDI have the same instruments in the same numerical location. Why then do we have to look at an arbitrary set of numbers when selecting a general MIDI instrument? Having a list to select instruments by name would be so much more productive. And since it's General MIDI, the same list would apply to both Macs and PCs. Only custom instrument sets would be different.

I'm tired of my list. I want to click on my instrument!

Mike
- PreSonus Quantum 2 - PreSonus Studio 24c - Mackie Onyx 1640i
- Samsung T3 and T5 SSDs - Various USB2/3 and Firewire HDDs