Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2002, 01:02 PM

Default Re: External EQ\'s

If they must be outboard, I would suggest ADMs if you can find them racked. I have 2 and will never part with them. Also calrec 1061s from Brent Arevill are really nice and have a good pre on the front. I find these to be super for tracking OHs and running the drum submix through. The Langevin Pultec rip-offs are also sweet and musical. In fact I consider all the above to be more musical than surgical.

However, McDSP Filter bank would most likely be the best money you spend all year. Yes, it is a plugin but, One great plug in. Don't let the Digi plug taint your view on plugins. They don't count. you can hear them once you insert them in a flat state. OUCH! I sometimes use the one band set flat on a track if I need to mess up the sound a little to make a part stick out. I personally never use them as eqs per say.

The WAVES stuff is nice. I am not the biggest fan but, a lot of people here seem to like them.

And as far as BF I say run from all except the Pultec which doesn't sound like the real deal (Or at least my Manley rip-offs) but, sounds nice none the less.

D
Old 11-13-2002, 03:44 PM

McDsp Filterbanks, without a doubt, the best.
Old 11-14-2002, 12:33 AM

Default External EQ\'s

I was wondering if anyone was using external eq's instead of plugins. Im not to happy with digi built in plugins so I am looking for something else. I heard good things about the Waves but I already own an RNC and Realverb so I would just be buying it for the eq so I thought that might be a waste. So does anyone know of any externall Eqs that are fairly cheap and sound and work well. Thanks
Old 11-14-2002, 06:57 AM

Hello. Just so I understand what you are asking, by external you mean a hardware EQ to be connected as outboard gear outside of Pro Tools. If that's the case, then it depends on how much you want to spend (Doesn't it always?). You can spend between $200 to $400 for a middle of the road rack or go as high as a $4500 to $6000 rack. It's up to you. If by external you mean a 'non Digidesign' plug in then you have several options, again depending on how much you want to spend, but the price range is more between $200 to $800. If you want more specific suggestions elaborate on your needs and budget.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:20 AM

If you are looking for some nice outboard EQ that is reasonably priced, look at the Speck Electronics ASC single channel 4-band EQ.

Speck

I have not used them myself, but they have a terrific reputation and are spoken of highly by people I trust (I understand that may not suffice for you.) There are dealers who will let you try them and return if you are not happy. They go for around $450 to 550 a piece.

Happy hunting.

Yorik
Old 11-14-2002, 11:48 AM

I meant outboard but maybe I should go plug in instead. I dont want to spend over $300 really. The reason I was thinking outboard is because I thought it would be good to get the sound going in how I want and not have to Eq it later, anyone try this approach. I also figured it would give me more analogue flavor by going through an outboard eq and compressor but then again im new to this. Thanks again
Old 11-14-2002, 03:33 PM

<< I meant outboard but maybe I should go plug in...I dont want to spend over $300...I was thinking outboard is because I thought it would be good to get the sound going in and not have to Eq it later>>
----------------------

I would agree that it is definitely better to add some analog eq and/or compression on the way in, as long as you are confident about the sound you wish to get to tape. The problem though is, any eq and/or compressor worth recording through will cost WAY more than $300 each. What mic pres and converters are you using? Finally, don't bother recording through any outboard gear unless it is really excellent stuff... otherwise you will most likely just wreck your tracks.

I hate to break it to you, but any decent analog outboard eq or compressor or pre etc will run you easily $600 per channel if not twice that much. If this sounds like too much, then just continue to record as you are and use the digi plugs at mixdown etc and don't worry about it.

Oh yeah... has anyone yet recommended the Langevin Dual Vocal combo unit? This is actually a great unit that costs LESS per channel per item than what I have described... unit gives you TWO channels of mic pres, direct inputs, simple eqs and amazing opto compressors... all for about $1800 total! And, I might know of a MINT used one about to be sold for considerably less, if you're interested. There is no better deal out there than the Dual Vocal Combo... this is the cheapest truly excellent front end that exists. Nothing this cheap with this many features comes close... and anything cheaper is not worth using... either that or prepare to spend way more.

Yes, the grim reality... high quality costs. You don't get something for nothing in this world... except for with the Digi-001, where you are basically getting PRO TOOLS (best software on the planet) for near nothing, in my opinion. Geez, $750 doesn't even buy you a decent analog compressor, but yet buys you Pro Tools... thanks again digi!!!!

Best of luck

[email protected]
Old 11-14-2002, 03:42 PM

The biggest PITA's with "realtime" external hardware is dealing with DA/AD conversion latency. So you wouldn't be able to EQ just a snare drum and add it back to a pair of overheads without massive phase problems ...... unless you recorded it to an open track and nudged it ahead to match the original. Or you can nudge the original by the same amount to pre-compensate for the latency.

I agree that high-quality hardware EQ's and comps sound bigger and better than 99.9% of the plug-ins, but using them takes some careful planning and note-taking to avoid getting your "tit caught in a wringer" with phase issues. Just thought I'd mention that.

That's why auto delay compensation is the next big frontier for DAW makers and why the pro users on the TDM forum are screaming their collective asses off for it's implementation.

Then again, you can just use the EQ's on the way in and not worry about any of it, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Good Luck,

Tony
Old 11-20-2002, 03:07 PM

There are a lot of GREAT analog Eqs you can pick up on the cheap.
Search Ebay for Neumann, Ward Beck, Telefunken, Calrec, and Audix. All of these companies made great Eqs that are real sleepers in my opinion and can be found for less that 300-600 each on many occasion. If you are handy you can rack and power them your self but, I would recommend you buy them ready to go.

D