Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2002, 01:50 PM

Default TYPE 2 ERROR

I'm loading PT fine. I log in to "New Session" fine, after I save my work PT is shutting down and giving me the error. I checked my exstentions and everything seems to be in the right order. did I forget something, I'm stuck...

G4 "the clear and Blue" tower, lots of memory and 2 HD's...

"Error type 2 has occurd, please save your work and restart your computer."
Old 10-23-2002, 03:41 PM

Default Re: TYPE 2 ERROR

jkereny1:
I had the same problem with "Error type 2, or 11" and finally (after weeks of steadily more frequent crashes) traced it back to (of all things) a bad video card for the second monitor.
Soon as I pulled the card (and darkened my second screen) the computer ran perfectly.
From all I've heard and went through, Error type 2 solely indicates a Mac problem, not Pro Tools, and it's usually related to memory problems.
One source suggested clearing the PRAM.
It may be a card, an external drive, internal RAM, etc. I'd try doing a session directly to
your MAC drive, with your external drives disconnected and see if that helps . . .
Good luck.
Old 10-23-2002, 04:03 PM

Default Re: TYPE 2 ERROR

Be prepared to live a life of Type 2 and Type 3 errors. I have had them since day one, tried everything under the sun, cannot fully get rid of them. I have a totally hot-rodded perfectly tuned super-duper system, etc, etc. Things have gotten better over time as I have experimented etc, but the problem is still there. It has something to do with memory allocation. Don't think that adding a ton of extra memory will help... it doesn't, and might even make it worse. I think it's just a flaw somewhere having to do with how PTLE accesses memory... or similar. Or, it could be an issue my 867 Quicksilver Mac I suppose... my friend's Sawtooth machine does not seem to give him as much trouble, though he does get the Type 2 and 3 errors now and then also. Finally, if your system is tuned up well, you should be able to get the error rate down to the point where you will be able to do your audio work without too much aggravation. Remember, the Digi-001 is a $750 recording tool... I guess we can't complain that much. Would be nice not to have those pesky Type 2, 3 errors though... but... work can get done. -imp