Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2002, 08:44 AM

Default balanced outs

has anyone either modded, or had modded, the digi 001's outputs (3-8) to balanced?

ml
Old 10-06-2002, 09:12 AM

Default Re: balanced outs

I've never really felt the need to (seeing as they are already balanced and all)
Old 10-06-2002, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fresh_meat:
I've never really felt the need to (seeing as they are already balanced and all)
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">WRONG!!!!!!!!!
RTFM, page 28, getting started with Digi 001.

Monitor outs and 1/2 outs are the only +4 balanced outs. the remaining 3-8 outs are unbalanced -10.

Same is true of the 002.

Hope this is helpful.
Old 10-06-2002, 09:31 AM

sorry for being a smartarse AND being wrong. At least I can admit it. [img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Are the line inputs balanced? was that what i was think about?
Old 10-06-2002, 09:59 AM

Don't feel bad Fresh_Meat
Quote:
Originally posted by where02190:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by fresh_meat:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">.

Monitor outs and 1/2 outs are the only +4 balanced outs. the remaining 3-8 outs are unbalanced -10.

Same is true of the 002.

<hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Wow, my 002 has balanced outs!! [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
read the system configs.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:16 AM

I too use all my outs and it sucks especially being on a mackie 24-8 as I have to switch my boards operating level in groups of 8. So.. i have OUTS 1 and 2 of the digi going into my mackie channels 7 and 8 and the rest 9, 10, 11, etc...

I would love a mod to fix that. The digi001 needs a major overhaul, it's kinda sad that the MOTU 2408 is everything i want the digi001 to be except it aint made by digi and therefore.. no PT's.
Old 10-06-2002, 11:56 PM

Some tech out there can probably take the 001 box apart and hot rod it. I can't see why the -10 unbalanced outputs could not be changed to balanced +4 outputs... then again I am not a tech. But if the 1+2 outputs are balanced, it makes sense that the others could be also. then if you are gonna spend $$$ to modify the 001 box, you may as well get a 002 box and modify that. Seems that some here feel that the 002 converters are "better" than the 001 converters... so, the trick is to get a 002 and then mod it for all balanced +4. Any techs out there that can shed light on this? -imp
Old 10-07-2002, 01:40 AM

the digi 002 is a big waste of money, imho. the extra $1400 or so that it costs did not go into the converters; seriously. think about it. you've gotta spend $750 on a lucid ad9624 just to get 2 ch's of really good a/d converters (and another $700 to come back out with a da9624); that leaves you just enough to squeeze in a digi 001 sys that'll blow the 002 away, sonically. even if you spent that same money on the rme 8 ch a/d/d/a, you'd have at least decent (not great) converters, ones that'd certainly beat the pants off of the 002's. hell the 888/24's converters are terrible, at twice the price of the 002, and conversion IS the sole job of that unit. and for 3x the price of a digi 001, you don't even get ONE extra i OR o! and ch's 3-8 are STILL UNBALANCED!!! you're basically paying for an overpriced mixer. the days of saying "the 001 is a hobbyist's toy, if ya wanna go pro, you gotta spend $10,000 with us for a 'pro's' DAW" are years past. especially when michael beinhorn produced korn's last album on nuendo. if i wanna toy, i expect it not to cost more than $200-300, certainly not almost $2500! i say stop tryin' to make & sell us all-in-one guitar-mart boxes, just give us the i/o's & software, & we'll take care of the ad/da's, mic pre's, efx, & control surfaces on our own, thank you very much. protools, the software, has always been the star of the show, anyway. i mean, if digi really felt compelled to cripple an "le" version, i woulda rather they limited the track count, but equaled that to the i/o's. even for $3000. it'd seriously make me reconsider getting a radar, which for $4000 throws in stock converters on on all 24 ch's that are of lucid quality, with the option of upgrading to nyquist converters (where we're talkin' mytek/cranesong quality)..

ml
Old 10-07-2002, 07:30 AM

Yeah, I hear what your saying. Well, whether anyone likes it or not, Pro Tools software still kicks the most ass. I love it and have no desire to switch to any other software. It does everything I need to do... when I dabble on other DAWs, I am unhappy... I cannot always get to where I wanna go. I'll admit that I do a lot of very complex editing and heavy mixing... I suppose for those who just record simple 16 track tunes any DAW might be fine... but we really stress any system we use, and PT seems to be the only one that can truly cut it. So knowing this, Digi of course creates certain limits with the hardware for marketing reasons.

I am getting by quite well with my 001... have the RME 8-channel box and Crane song HEDD 2-channel box... we mix out in analog land through all top end analog outboard gear, through a great 16 channel analog mixer onto analog tape. We tape the 8 outs from the RME and 2 outs from the HEDD... and then will take anywhere from 2 - 6 more outs from the 001 hardware box... of course if you want more than 10 outs, you must use the digi box outs... so I was hoping that the 002 converters would be better... but like you said, if they are not that much better, it is probably not worth the extra $$$. However if they ARE noticeably better, then it very well may be worth the money. In the end, a suped up 001 or 002 is still WAY cheaper than a full blown TDM system... I still thank the heavens every night that Digi chose to offer a 001 / 002 and PTLE... because prior to it's release, I was trying to save up for a Mix Plus, realizing that I'd probably never be able to do it, and was very upset... the 001 / PTLE allows those who don't have a spare $20k sitting around to have access to probably the best recording / mixing software on earth... and in a package that is less than $1000! So... we really cannot complain.

But I wish that some tech could figure out a way to swap some really top end converters into the 001 hardware box. Damn, imagine that!!! Let's say you could take eight Crane Song quality converters and somehow swap them into the 001 box, +4 balanced outs...oh boy, that would be SO awesome. I wonder if this can be done... it would be worth it. Wish I knew a tech. It makes sense that it might be able to be done.

anyhow... i gotta get back to mixing... c ya
Old 10-07-2002, 08:02 AM

I think it isnt balanced +4 cause there arent enough cables in the scsi cable used to connect the interface to the pci card. if they had just used firewire....