Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 11-14-2020, 07:41 PM

Default Re: Worst Dark Mode Ever

once I set my monitor to gaming mode I can more than tolerate dark mode it looks great! I'm using the samsung SJ55W Ultra WQHD Monitor
Old 11-14-2020, 07:43 PM

Okay, here's the deal. I said I liked dark mode and I do, but that was before I tried to edit MIDI in the MIDI Editor. You can't see anything because there's no contrast--everything is dark. This a definite NO GO.

Also in the main Edit window, you can't see the bar lines. They should be a bright color like white, light gray, or yellow so they stand out.

Dark Mode needs some practical tweaks; surprised it went out like this.
Old 11-14-2020, 07:52 PM

someone found a way to manipulate the dark theme colors from a text file and some other stuff, maybe one can explore more:

Quote:
"in the folder: Avid\Pro Tools\Skins\Dark

There is PTColors.txt, it has numbers that means (Red, Green, Blue, Alpha). In the first image example, DarkModeClips and DarkModeAutomation is set to 0 which changes the tracks to be non-dark mode. Nothing else changed, there are a crap ton of paremeters, would be curious to what people come up with because I didnt touch anything or experiment with the other paremeters yet."

Last edited by rampartthemovie; 11-14-2020 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-14-2020, 09:59 PM

In Logic you have the option to select either light background or dark background in the MIDI graphic editor as well as the the main edit window, while everything else remains dark. I'd really like this choice for Pro Tools too.
Old 11-14-2020, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
In Logic you have the option to select either light background or dark background in the MIDI graphic editor as well as the the main edit window, while everything else remains dark. I'd really like this choice for Pro Tools too.
Yes! The MIDI Editor is the big draw for Dark Mode

Mac Studio Ultra : 128GB RAM : Ventura 13.6 : Carbon : PT Ultimate 2023.12 : S1 : Metagrid Pro
Old 11-15-2020, 12:46 AM

apparently there is a way to modify all elements of the UI alongside the skin txt file, this in theory we could modify elements of the dark mode alongside normal mode:

Videos of it in action:

Orange Transport Edition
https://streamable.com/272odr

Rainbow Sherbert edition:
https://streamable.com/rccl5o
Old 11-15-2020, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akiz View Post
I have no clue. But by a brief search i did, found this info below, hope it works.

How to Change an Application Icon.
-Move the cursor to the Results panel, and right-click the desired application.
-Select Properties.
-On the General tab, click Change Icon.
-Select the desired icon, or browse to another location to select the icon. After you've selected the icon, click OK. The new icon appears in the Results panel.

Cheers!
Thanks
Old 11-15-2020, 01:35 AM

Default Re: I hope they fix night mode on Windows 10

Yeah, it's very disappointing. Why even make the dark theme available on Windows if you only get half the mode? It's like a half blend of classic and dark thrown together. Why would anybody want to use this in an unfinished state? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Old 11-15-2020, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampartthemovie View Post
someone found a way to manipulate the dark theme colors from a text file and some other stuff, maybe one can explore more:

Care to post a link where you saw your info? Also what is the exact path on a Mac - been looking all over and can't find the folder you mentio.

QAPLA!

Last edited by musicman691; 11-15-2020 at 04:56 AM.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
I shared this pic in another thread. This is why I'm hating dark mode on Windows 10. Seems more like afternoon mode with all those white bars. PT is my only app that does this with the OS in dark mode, with MS office apps being the exception.
Yikes that looks bad. And ProTools already looked really bad under Windows to begin with.