Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 02-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Default Grouping problems! All group won't work, grouping channels together spontaneously

O.k. now that I've spent all day looking at 6088 errors and have temporarily moved on, I decided to work on a session. For some reason, the groups went nuts, things were grouping together that weren't before, other groups would not become ungrouped even when deleting the original group.
I was able to import the tracks into a new session and it works, but that's not the point, I NEVER had problems like this in 7.4! I'm having a wide variety of little issues, some of which are no big deal, others are session-stoppers.
My frustration with PT8 is rapidly mounting! I have been reading post after post and so many people are having little problems.
I want to ask a very serious and real question, I'm not trying to be difficult, but is there anyone running Pro Tools LE 8 professionally and NOT having problem after problem? Again I'm being genuine and not trying to be a jerk about this.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 01:36 PM

Default Re: Grouping problems! All group won't work, grouping channels together spontaneously

I have been running PT8 in a commercial studio for a month now with zero issues. Anytime I update anything, I always perform the update on a clone of my previous working system drive(so I can revert in minutes and get work done). It is a safety strategy I highly recommend(considering how cheap hard drives are these days, I keep 3, 1 PT8 load, 1 PT7.4 load[last working version] and 1 with the 7.4 load from 6 months ago). See this
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=193637
and this
http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=133039
for starters. Then analyze what might have changed(besides the PT8 install). First thing that comes to mind is; do you have any 3rd party plugins? If so, they may need to be updated to work with PT8(drag the 2 files for each out of your plugins folder to the unused plugins folder for testing this theory). Waves plugins are notorious for this. Also, if you updated Windows, that may have reset some system settings and you may need to check all the tweaks(as described in the Getting Started Guide) to verify they are still set correctly for PT.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Re: Grouping problems! All group won't work, grouping channels together spontaneously

I have not been quite as lucky as albee, but we do use PT8 in a professional studio with paying clients every day. The play/pause is an annoyance but we simply and immediately do a “save session copy” and move on. We have a problem following External word clock when converting 2” tapes to PT8 so we use the PT7.4 drive for that. Other than those things it is stable for us.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2009, 02:25 PM

Oh yea, groups work fine.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 02-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Thanks guys, I have a complete backup system with 7.4 and I have of course done all of the tweaks etc. I haven't been able to reproduce the grouping problem yet, but I have had other issues with 8, like opening a session and all of the tracks and regions have disappeared....Oh, and yes I have been trashing prefs and databases since I installed 8(probably 20 times so far). I've been using Digi equipment since 1992(sound designer) and so far this release is the most buggy software release I've seen Digi do, at least that's been my experience. Looks like albee's been lucky!

Tom and albee, take a look at my elastic audio post if you get a chance and see if you can replicate my problem with that. I can make it happen on any session, but it's fine in 7.4.
Thanks!
Old 02-11-2009, 03:08 PM

Hey Tom, can you describe the Play/Pause issue a bit more. I have noticed an occasional time when hitting play does nothing(beyond the play "button" flashing) but if I up the buffer, it goes away(I figured I was just trying to do too much at the 64 buffer). I remember that happening in previous versions so I don't attribute it to PT8. I use EA a lot and the only thing I've noticed is, using polyphonic on something like a scratch demo mix(to marry it to a grid) can sound warbley. Since this is just a guide track, it will be deleted later anyway. Single instrument tracks get the EA treatment with great results as long as I don't stretch something too far. BTW, never tried X-form so I can't comment on it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 02-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Avid

I think the problem you were having with groups was a fluke, given that it only occurred in the one session.

Sometimes problems occur outside the scope of the actual upgrade - glitches here and there, unexpected behavior, etc. It kind of comes with the territory of working with computers - but I think you know this. We just have to work through them and, hopefully, identify problems that are actual bugs, rather than just a single occurrence.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM

Hi Digi, I will be sending you a tech support form later. I was able to reproduce the grouping problem yesterday, but I need to go through and find exactly what I did to make it happen. It is related to elastic audio, but I'll dig deeper and find more. The only reason I even mentioned it originally is because I am having a few little flukes, at least 3 or 4---I've never really had problems like this in prior versions of PT(just an observation, not a complaint, I still like PT8!).