Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 01-19-2021, 02:12 PM

Default Re: Dark Theme in Pro Tools 2020.11

So I'm going to skip 40 pages of people trying to mod the poor attempt at a cool feature. So does anyone know if Avid is going to make dark mode better?
Old 01-19-2021, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaudio View Post
Has anyone here successfully made the inserts more legible? Id be curious to try. In its current state, classic is much clearer and easy to follow.

In my opinion, no. This is the issue still preventing me from adopting Dark Mode despite trying several of the most recent suggested mods over the past few days. Trying to read insert names strains my eyes to the point of discomfort. Obviously some users are satisfied enough with the mods to make do and others are happy with Dark Mode out of the box.

Last edited by JingleDjango; 01-19-2021 at 05:50 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroovnD313 View Post
So I'm going to skip 40 pages of people trying to mod the poor attempt at a cool feature. So does anyone know if Avid is going to make dark mode better?
I also don't think Avid is inclined to make dark mode better. For some reason, the team determined that what they delivered was exactly what they intended for dark mode. Having said that, hopefully, seeing the extensive effort users have gone through to "mod" the dark mode will motivate them to make changes to the color choices that obviously many don't agree with. Also given that different users have different preferences in the colors used, perhaps it would be desirable to provide a "feature" to customize the colors per users choices. While they're at it, giving user the option to change the colors in classic "non-dark mode" would also be welcome. Color settings should be able to be stored in a preference file that roaming sound mixers can carry on a flash drive (or cloud storage) to load upon visiting a studio. The more I type, the more I realize that this is simply a "skin" approach. Users should be able to upload/download "skins" to use in Protools.

Mac Studio M1Max - 64GB
MacOS 14.4.1 running Protools 2024.3.1
Old 01-19-2021, 06:06 PM

We still on this topic? Copy text paste text. Done. Happy dark mode.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidian Dragon View Post
I also don't think Avid is inclined to make dark mode better. For some reason, the team determined that what they delivered was exactly what they intended for dark mode. Having said that, hopefully, seeing the extensive effort users have gone through to "mod" the dark mode will motivate them to make changes to the color choices that obviously many don't agree with. Also given that different users have different preferences in the colors used, perhaps it would be desirable to provide a "feature" to customize the colors per users choices. While they're at it, giving user the option to change the colors in classic "non-dark mode" would also be welcome. Color settings should be able to be stored in a preference file that roaming sound mixers can carry on a flash drive (or cloud storage) to load upon visiting a studio. The more I type, the more I realize that this is simply a "skin" approach. Users should be able to upload/download "skins" to use in Protools.
You've hit the nail on the head I've been hammering on for a while - what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Face it - we don't all have the same color acuity and sensitivity. Add to the fact that we don't all work in the same environment. I work in a mainly dark setup and others work in the equivalent of a bright sunlit day. Also what is important to one user isn't necessarily important to another.

The people I feel for are those on Windows as from what I've read that OS uses a different deal for the dark mode than Mac's do. Also add in that Avid has some color settings that aren't changeable in the dark mode file and you have something that drives me and others doing mods crazy.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2021, 06:23 PM

As un-fun as it might be for the person who codes it, a simple app that could help someone tweak the color settings to their liking would be useful. But I think there might be so many options that some might want to tweak, it might be impossible to make everyone happy.

HDX Pro Tools 2023.6
Lynx Aurora (n) 32
2 Avid S1's
Old 01-19-2021, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleiweke View Post
As un-fun as it might be for the person who codes it, a simple app that could help someone tweak the color settings to their liking would be useful. But I think there might be so many options that some might want to tweak, it might be impossible to make everyone happy.
If you give the end user the ability to make changes AND see them in real time - that would be gold. As it is now you shut down PT, make a change, restart PT and see how that worked. It's a royal PIA but necessary at this point in time.

QAPLA!
Old 01-19-2021, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
We still on this topic? Copy text paste text. Done. Happy dark mode.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Thumbs up!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-20-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JingleDjango View Post
In my opinion, no. This is the issue still preventing me from adopting Dark Mode despite trying several of the most recent suggested mods over the past few days. Trying to read insert names strains my eyes to the point of discomfort. Obviously some users are satisfied enough with the mods to make do and others are happy with Dark Mode out of the box.
I appreciate the reply. Nothing i had seen so far in this thread looked like much of an improvement for me. I tested one of the posted text files and went back to classic immediately after. I like the idea of dark mode so i hope Avid refines it to be more legible.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:19 PM

This is nice that you're posting these - worth noting that this makes the parameter selection matrix in the import session data dialog box almost unreadable, and also messes up the I/O matrix display.

Really need Avid to make this a user-tweakable thing...

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6