Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6

Old 09-13-2019, 05:27 AM

Default Auto-Bank to selected track

Hello,
everything works fine: Bank to attention ...
The only thing I fail is when I press the Select button on the S6 or in Pro Tools, I want the track on the S6 to be banked to fader 1 on the left. It does not work
Does anyone have a hint?
Many thanks
Stefan
Old 09-13-2019, 07:18 AM
Avid

Default Re: Auto-Bank to selected track

Greetings,

There are a few different workflows. Let me setup a few and we can dive in if necessary.

(A) Justify and Bank a track from Pro Tools:
Shift + Control Click on a track name from Pro Tools. Make sure that under Setup > Preferences > Mixing you have Scroll to Track Banks Controllers enabled.

(B) Using the Tracks Page on Master Module to Attention & Bank:
Make sure the Tracks page on the Master Module is in Attention mode. Enable Settings > User Auto-Bank to Track Mode = Always. Also enable from Tracks > Local Options the option Auto Bank to Attentioned Track. Simply touch a Track on the Tracks page.

(C) Justifying Tracks in Pro Tools from the Master Module Tracks Page
Make sure the Tracks page on the Master Module is in Select mode.
Hold Shift + Control (qwerty or fader module modifiers) while touching a Track on the Tracks page. The touched track gets Top/Left justified in Pro Tools Edit & Mix windows.

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-16-2019, 06:34 AM

Hi Jeff,
thank you so much! By using Shift + Opt/Win + Select on S6 now it´s working fine! And you told me two more options GREAT!
Thank you
Best regards
Stefan
Old 09-19-2019, 09:46 AM

First, thank you for your post/help it was useful.

I might be missing another setting but I can't get selecting the "Select" button on the fader modules to work. I am on Pro Tools 2019.6 and Eucon 19.7, so the current versions of both and "Auto-Bank to Track Mode" seems to have no effect regardless of any three of the options selected.

Auto-Bank to Track Mode
Off
If Not If Visible on Surface
Always

I have done all the settings you pointed out.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post

If you want to trigger banking behaviors from Pro Tools I would recommend the following:

(A) Disable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
(B) Choose one of the three options for Auto-Bank from Settings > User.
(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

Jeff thank you very much for sticking with me on this, it seems like there might be some conflicts or issues on my Avid S6 because the behavior was hit and miss as I clicked in Pro Tools when set to Always. Sometimes it would bank the surface when clicking track names in Pro Tools and a few times it would select the tracks and not bank. It seems to be working pretty consistently for me this morning though.

I think the confusing part for me was that "Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track" AND "Track Name" are enabled then the auto "Auto-Bank to Track Mode" changes make no difference.

So just from the side of Pro Tools and clicking on track names with

Option 1
Same-----(0) Pro Tools preference ""Scroll to Track" Banks Controllers" turned off or on it doesn't matter since that seems to only affect control+shift+clicking track name.
Different--(A) Disable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
Different--(B) Choose Auto-Bank to Track Mode from Settings > User and set to Always.

Same-----(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

Is the same as

Option 2
Same-----(0) Pro Tools preference ""Scroll to Track" Banks Controllers" turned off or on it doesn't matter since that seems to only affect control+shift+clicking track name.
Different--(A) Enable the Tracks > Local Options Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track.
Different--(B) Choose Auto-Bank to Track Mode from Settings > User and set to Off.

Same-----(C) Enable Track Name from Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area under Settings > User.

When clicking in Pro Tools. The only difference being that option 2 also makes it so when you are in Attention mode on the S6 that it also banks from the tracks page. I hope I understand all the nuanced interactions and differences now. For me, Option 1 is very hit and miss on attentioning tracks to the attention fader when I click in Pro tools (60% of the time it works, 40% it doesn't and almost 100% of the time it banks the surface).

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativecontrol View Post
(B) Using the Tracks Page on Master Module to Attention & Bank:
Make sure the Tracks page on the Master Module is in Attention mode. Enable Settings > User Auto-Bank to Track Mode = Always. Also enable from Tracks > Local Options the option Auto Bank to Attentioned Track. Simply touch a Track on the Tracks page.
I'm sure this is a given but if I could add "while in Attention mode" not Select or Assign. From the original question, he asked when I press the select button on the S6 so I thought we were in Select mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abx992000 View Post
The only thing I fail is when I press the Select button on the S6 or in Pro Tools, I want the track on the S6 to be banked to fader 1 on the left. It does not work
So to be sure there is no way to do what he asked by pressing the select button on a channel strip to have it bank to fader 1, is that correct?

Last edited by skilletaudio; 09-27-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:26 AM
Avid

Greetings,

So you are trying to bank to a track from the surface (select) fader module that already exists within the bank? I’m trying to understand the exact workflow. Are you simply trying to justify a track which is visible on the surface which may not be the Left or Center Left justified track currently?

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-23-2019, 11:39 AM

I'm really just trying to understand this from the 19.5 manual.

"Auto-Bank to Track Mode
These settings let you define how banking follows channel selection. These settings apply to all Select methods (tapping to select tracks in the Tracks matrix, pressing a channel Select switch, or selecting a DAW track on-screen).
Off Banking ignores channel selection.
If Not Visible on Surface Banking ignores track selection if that track is already on the surface. For example, on a 16 fader system
displaying tracks 1–16, selecting track 15 will not bank the surface but selecting track 17 (or any other off-bank track) will bank.
Always When enabled, the surface will always bank to the currently selected track."

Regardless of the setting Off, If Not Visible on Surface and Always. Selecting a track in the track matrix, on the surface or in Pro Tools the behavior is the same for me. The behavior that is happening is if I select a track in Pro Tools with the mouse it is always left justifying it on the console. If I select on the tracks matrix if it is view it will not justify to the left. Of course off shouldn't do that, so it is almost like it is in a hybrid mode where it works in clicking Pro Tools to the surface without holding down control+shift.

I feel like things are behaving oddly perhaps based on other preferences. I couldn't get your workflow you mentioned in a video of "Attention Most Recently Selected Track" with the Scroll to Track in Pro Tools Comtion (Command+Option (⌥)) + F. Now it is working and I can't get it to stop working with that preference unchecked. I have restarted Pro Tools too.

I hope that is more clear.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:40 AM
Avid

Thanks for the details. There appears to be a logic bug with the interaction of the Tracks and User Preferences. In the meantime, I would recommend disabling Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track on the Tracks > Local Options, especially if you want to take advantage of "If not on surface" workflows enabled from the main User preferences.

If Auto-Bank to Attentioned Track is enabled on the Tracks > Local Options it appears to override the Auto-Bank to Track Mode Settings under Settings > User. If enabled, attentioning from the Tracks matrix or clicking on a track in the DAW will always bank regardless of settings including Off, If not Visible or Always. It is assumed that if a user is clicking on a Track in Pro Tools that they also have Track Name ticked under Settings > User: Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area.

A few more bits...

Use SHIFT + CONTROL while clicking on a Track in Pro Tools to justify that on the surface, which again will follow your Settings>User: Banking Justification Mode setting.
(Make sure in Pro Tools under Setup>Preferences>Mixing you have Scroll to Track Banks Controllers enabled.

While in SELECT mode on the Tracks page, hold SHIFT + CONTROL and touch a track to Top/Left justify it in the Pro Tools Edit & Mix Windows.

Let me know how it goes. I will discuss the preference fighting issue with engineering.

best,

Jeff
MTRX FAQ
Old 09-25-2019, 09:15 AM

Thanks, Jeff for your detailed reply, I am still not getting any results with the banking by clicking on a track button or with select enabled by disabling the preference "Auto-Bank to Attention track." I just restarted the computer and the S6 M10 and tried it all again with no luck.

I even tried turning off all User:Attention: Attention Most Recently Clicked DAW Area (i.e. Track Name, Plug-ins, Fader etc.) just in case that was conflicting somehow.

I do have enabled ""Scroll to Track" Banks Controllers" enabled in Pro Tools. That works for control+shift-clicking a track name in Pro Tools but never banks the surface in banking mode by clicking on a track select button or with select in the tracks page with or without Conift (Control+Shift (⌃⇧)) + select button or track square in Tracks page.

Sorry to be redundant but hopefully that explains the behavior I am seeing. I have watched every video on the S6 I could find online so if you have a video that shows what should be happening that would be great. Seems like it should bank the surface left since that is what my justification modes are set to for all three settings.

Last edited by skilletaudio; 09-25-2019 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-25-2019, 10:27 AM
Avid

Just to be clear, banking never works by pressing a Select or Attention button from the surface Fader Module. Banking can be triggered by clicking in the DAW or from the Tracks Page in Attention mode - assuming the pref we discussed was enabled.

Jeff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
MTRX FAQ