Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2013, 08:05 AM

Default Re: PT 11 and OSX Mavericks 10.9

Hi I am trying to get into Pro Tools 11 for an important project I was assigned to. I used to record in PC with different software when I had to. I need to get Pro Tools 11 and a new IMac 27. The problem. All new Macs come with Mavericks and Pro Tools does not support it. You can no longer downgrade by completely wiping a new computer of the new OS which has nice features multiple monitors etc. Mountain Lion upgrade is no longer available. And there is no place to buy mountain lion.The upgrade points to Mavericks now.

When is Pro Tools going to get this together? Its almost been a year since Mavericks release. My only option is to buy a used IMac with Mountain Lion. I prefer to get a new one. You guys are holding up my project I really want to get off my PC so I can do my work.

When is Pro Tools going to support Maverick. Time to hire some developers.. Help anyone out there at Avid that cares? Personally if it was up to me I would shove this whole PC recording thing in the garbage and use ReeL recorders like a Studer. But these guys are on Pro Tools so I am stuck. I am not a rapper or a singer who cant really sing so I could care less about the editing I just need to lay my guitar tracks which are real guitars and I don't need multiple takes and cut and paste. I am a real musician. Anyone feel me?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sessionguitarist2013 View Post
Hi I am trying to get into Pro Tools 11 for an important project I was assigned to. I used to record in PC with different software when I had to. I need to get Pro Tools 11 and a new IMac 27. The problem. All new Macs come with Mavericks and Pro Tools does not support it. You can no longer downgrade by completely wiping a new computer of the new OS which has nice features multiple monitors etc. Mountain Lion upgrade is no longer available. And there is no place to buy mountain lion.The upgrade points to Mavericks now.

When is Pro Tools going to get this together? Its almost been a year since Mavericks release. My only option is to buy a used IMac with Mountain Lion. I prefer to get a new one. You guys are holding up my project I really want to get off my PC so I can do my work.

When is Pro Tools going to support Maverick. Time to hire some developers.. Help anyone out there at Avid that cares? Personally if it was up to me I would shove this whole PC recording thing in the garbage and use ReeL recorders like a Studer. But these guys are on Pro Tools so I am stuck. I am not a rapper or a singer who cant really sing so I could care less about the editing I just need to lay my guitar tracks which are real guitars and I don't need multiple takes and cut and paste. I am a real musician. Anyone feel me?
I've been using Mavericks since it's release on 3 systems. No issues whatsoever.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 AM

Hi Ron, Thanks for your reply so I should not worry about all the errors PT is reporting and just go ahead and install it on a new system?
Old 11-05-2013, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Hi Ron, Thanks for your reply so I should not worry about all the errors PT is reporting and just go ahead and install it on a new system?
I guess that comes down to how you treat your 'important projects'.
If it is something where there is no room for error, then Avid has made it clear that Mavericks is not supported at this time and you will be on your own for help.

If you like to tinker and have some wiggle room in your important project, than read the posts, trust the other users and just hope you don't run into issues that others haven't figured out yet.

System Details
Old 11-05-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Well I'd read their warnings and see if any apply to you. I've had no issues whatsoever on my system. Other than when I use rewire with Ableton Live. That works great, but when I quit live after transferring tracks to PT, PT gets the spinning beach ball. No biggie. I save before quitting live, force quit PT and the session re-opens just fine. But this also happened in PT 10 & 9. Just thought I'd warn you in case you use that.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Well I'd read their warnings and see if any apply to you. I've had no issues whatsoever on my system. Other than when I use rewire with Ableton Live. That works great, but when I quit live after transferring tracks to PT, PT gets the spinning beach ball. No biggie. I save before quitting live, force quit PT and the session re-opens just fine. But this also happened in PT 10 & 9. Just thought I'd warn you in case you use that.
Any issues with plugins?

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix
ASUS Sabertooth Z77, Intel i7-3770K CPU OC'[email protected], 32 Gigs RAM
Mac OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Old 11-05-2013, 03:22 PM

Trying hard to crash Pro tools 11 with Maverick on Macbook Pro. Format SSD then install system, been working all day with no crashes.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protools Paul View Post
Trying hard to crash Pro tools 11 with Maverick on Macbook Pro. Format SSD then install system, been working all day with no crashes.
No random crashes on save/auto save? Opening /closing /instantiating plugs? How's bout when you push protools hard?

www.joshuamanlunas.com

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix

Old 11-05-2013, 06:23 PM

Solid as a rock here too.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01
Old 11-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrixx View Post
Solid as a rock here too.
I might try this out on a spare HDD after all the PT frustration at the moment what have i got to loose?

www.joshuamanlunas.com

Pro Tools 11.2
Pro Tools 10.3.9
REAPER

MPTK2
ProFire 2626
Benchmark DAC1
Neumann KH 120 A
Avid Artist Mix