Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > FireWire & USB Audio Interfaces (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Default ProTools, TASCAM and Eleven Rack

Hi all.

I just added a TASCAM US-16x08 to my set up because I needed more input channels. I do see it in my ProTools 12. Here's my issue.

I have an Eleven Rack and the Tascam both USB connected to my MacBookPro. I can see either of them in ProTools. But I can't see both at the same time. If I change the Playback Engine to one or the other ... I see that one (ie ... playback engine on Eleven Rack - I see all my eleven rack inputs. playback engine on Tascam - I see all my Tascam inputs.)

Is there a way to make ProTools see BOTH interfaces at the same time, and if so, how?

Brian
Old 11-08-2015, 07:08 PM

Default Re: ProTools, TASCAM and Eleven Rack

Yes its very simple. In OS X you need to create an Aggregate Device. Go to Applications>Utilities and open up Audio MIDI Setup. It should open the Audio Devices. On the left side of this box you should see both your devices or any other interfaces you have such as your built-in audio device also if any.

On the bottom left corner of this box click on the + (plus/add) and click on Create Aggregate Device. What this does is combine all your interfaces into ONE Aggregate Device. Once it creates the device click on Aggregate Device >(arrow) and expand the label. In the Aggregate Device you will see all your devices such as your Tascam and your Eleven Rack and most likely your built-device also since your using a MacBook Pro. You can uncheck the built-in device if your not using it inside the new Aggregate Device. If you want to rename Aggregate Device you can by double clicking on the words Aggregate Device and rename it to whatever you want. Since your not using a lot of interfaces I would just leave the name as it is.

Now here is where you need to pay special attentions to your Channels and their assigned numbers. In the grey/gray area you will see both of your devices. Mine shows a Blue for M-Audio C400 and another one that is Green for StudioDock (my monitors). So look closely on the channel NUMBERS. They are hard to see but the numbers are believe each input; example mine shows this:
Input Channels: Analog Input L , Analog Input R and so on.....then right below each one is channel number which will represent the channel number in pro tools.

EDIT: Just want to add you can change your default Output Bus on the Output Tab on the Bottom Right, the second drop down box...

Next open pro tools and change your Playback Device to Aggregate Device. From there you can change whatever Channel Number to whatever you want. My C400 has total of four analog outputs and two digital outputs. So that is 1,2,3,4,5,6 then channels 7 and 8 are my StudioDock channels. Understand?

BTW after you change the Playback Device to Aggregate Device Pro Tools will tell you about the I/Os being change and if you want a detailed report. Just say NO. Then in PT go to Setup > I/O. Whenever that box opens click on Output tab and click on Default button at the bottom. Then go to the Input Tab and do the same. You can change the Name from example " Out 1-2 " to say C400 Out 1-2 and so on.. Changing these will help you more than ever. So for my output for my monitors are StudioDock Out 7-8. After you change the names on each Input and Output tabs EXPORT your settings to anywhere you want just in case you need to import them again...

Hope this helps...