Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2010, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Best PT LE Mastering Compressor/Limiter if Waves is not available?

Download the ML4000 plugin, put it on the mixbus, tell me what you think..... multiband limiter, compressor, or whatever you want to call it it is absolutely incredible for mastering.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:17 AM

Brad,

OK. I just sent you an email.

Thanks,
Old 10-20-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiF View Post
If the mix is going to a mastering studio anyway, I would stay away from anything on the master bus.
Speaking as a mastering engineer, I'd stay away from limiting simply because there's no way to know the best sounding limiter or the right limiter settings outside the context of a song's position within a specific album.

Compression or eq. on the master bus can sound absolutely great because you can still tweak the balance, dynamics and eq. of individual tracks to make everything fit together lots better. The idea of mastering as finishing a mix is a really bad idea as much as we mastering engineers love to thump our chests. This is because a mix isn't done until you've heard it in a bunch of different enviornments to make sure the musical balance translates well.

Mastering covers the mixer's back and makes sure the artist won't be embarrassed should an important reviewer or promoter happen to have a high end audio system. We enhance translation tonality-wise but the real action music-wise is all about where the faders were set.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
Speaking as a mastering engineer, I'd stay away from limiting simply because there's no way to know the best sounding limiter or the right limiter settings outside the context of a song's position within a specific album.
I also think that many people overlook an important role of the mastering engineer, which is making your collection of songs sound like an album; making them sound like they belong together!

Making the tracks "Loud and punchy" is pretty much the last thing on the list as I see it. (I'm not a mastering engineer by the way, so I could be wrong).

I'll only use a peak limiter if my mix is not going to be mastered elsewhere and I use very little of it. The main reason I do use it in such a case is because my mixes usually peak far below 0dBFS (-12dbfs to -6dbfs), so it's basically there to take off any extreme peaks and to bring the overall level up.
Old 10-21-2010, 04:53 AM

I agree with most Mastering engineers just as you say. I actually wish I could always use a good Mastering service but sometimes the project does merit it.

I have always tried to use a min. of compression and EQ on a final mix unless it is a very obvious fit. A final mix is certainly diff from a mastered mix and I am sure you agree.

What do feel is a good dynamics processor for 'final-mix' projects? What too often eludes me is a final mix that appears to be very close to your face WO being so loud. Does not sound distant. Mastering engineers have that process uncontrol but I feel I have to get lucky as I can not always succed in that feeling. I am not referring to loud in your face, but sounding close to you. Mastering people please expand on this aspect of mastering.

Thanks,
Old 10-21-2010, 05:09 AM

just downloaded the new fabFilter Limiter Demo. First impression is very good. GUI and sound are great.
For ease of use L2007 is great.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:52 PM

Slate Digital FGX is very good IMHO.
Has alot of variables and looks really neat too:)
Be sure to have some CPU power though, because it eats 20% of my Intel 980X.
IS Pro Double 6" Speakers, www.intelligentsound.se/
Old 11-30-2010, 11:25 AM

BradLyons-
I am actually not fond of the McDSP m4000... I find it dark and distort-y.

Now this is just my ears... the flipside is that some people find the Waves L series "crispy" on the top end and a little too high end brite.

I prefer the Waves L series to the McDSP anyday...

However....

IMHO one of the best mastering compressors is the DIGIRACK Comp/Dyn III.

Crazy right? Well it is simply the cleanest, fastest, look ahead, microsecond response in both attack and release, compressor available and ITS FREE!!!!!

Doc
Avid HD Native PCIe Core | Pro Tools HD 2018.1