Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-11-2010, 08:53 PM

Default Newbie with MBox2 Mini - Setup MIDI Ctrl

Good day DUC people!

I am new to Pro Tools (ver8) and have just done a few test audio tracks. Now I wanted to connect my MIDI kybd controller, which is an older one - Evolution MK-249C. However it has a USB connector, so does that mean I can just plug it directly into my computer USB port for PTools to recognize it? I have d-loaded and installed the kybd driver, rebooted, restarted PT... nothing so far.

Am I going to have to get a MIDI interface?

Thanks in advance for your advice and support.
Cheers!
Andy
Old 02-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Newbie with MBox2 Mini - Setup MIDI Ctrl

You should have received this document with your Mbox Mini. Note the section on setting up MIDI studio. You have tell PT what the control surface is you're using.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:27 PM

DonaldM,

I did receive the setup guide and I did go thru it, but thanks for the e-copy. I also d-loaded the manual for my kybd - a controller only - and it allows for resetting the USB port to send MIDI msgs.

What I don't see is where I, as you say, "tell PT what the control surface is (that) you're using."

However, I notice you don't list a specific MIDI interface in your gear list, and you also use the MBox2 Mini + PT8. Do any of your kybds plug into your PC via USB and get recognized in PT? Did you have to specify them to PT somehow? Do you use an actual "MIDI Interface" as opposed to the one on the kybd itself?

Perhaps I just have to get used to all the jargon and play around a bit more...?!

BTW - Thanks so much for your reply. These probably sound like stupid 'newbie' questions, right?! ...sorry!
A
Old 02-15-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloman61 View Post
DonaldM,

I did receive the setup guide and I did go thru it, but thanks for the e-copy. I also d-loaded the manual for my kybd - a controller only - and it allows for resetting the USB port to send MIDI msgs.

What I don't see is where I, as you say, "tell PT what the control surface is (that) you're using."

However, I notice you don't list a specific MIDI interface in your gear list, and you also use the MBox2 Mini + PT8. Do any of your kybds plug into your PC via USB and get recognized in PT? Did you have to specify them to PT somehow? Do you use an actual "MIDI Interface" as opposed to the one on the kybd itself?

Perhaps I just have to get used to all the jargon and play around a bit more...?!

BTW - Thanks so much for your reply. These probably sound like stupid 'newbie' questions, right?! ...sorry!
A
Hey, I was new to all this once myself. As far as the USB goes, the question is does your keyboard have USB MIDI. Some keyboards have a USB feature, but not for MIDI...its for transferring voices, editing, and the like. Check to be sure the USB is for MIDI as well. Assuming it is, then in the MIDI studio in PT, you can just enter the name of your keyboard as the controller.

If USB MIDI isn't available, you'll have to hook up via the MIDI out/in of your keyboard to your computer. And then use MIDI studio to set that up.

Old 02-15-2010, 01:45 PM

DonaldM
Thanks again for taking the time. I went and got a USB MIDI interface just in case, and I managed to get the ctl msgs going with that. I suspect it would've worked anyway - found the "Setup>Peripherals" page and it was already there... some testing to do, but having fun now!! =)

Thanks bud!
Cheers!
A
MBox2 Mini
ProTools LE v8
Behringer EuroRack MXB1002 (10x2)