How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2015, 08:36 PM

Default ASIO Device Properties Have Changed by Control Panel Error

Hey all,
I have PT 11.3 and I started messing around with it as it is new to me. I was only playing around with guitar... no other audio or plugins active. Just 2 mono tracks with Blue Cat's patchwork which is hosting the VST plugin Recabinet 4. I was simply just messing around with some sounds... so the tracks were record enabled and I'm strumming away checking sounds out. Was working fine for at least 30 minutes when out of the blue I get "(ASIO device properties have been changed by the control panel. Pro tools must be restarted for these changes to take affect. Please restart pro tools." ... or similar to that. Pretty sure it said "control" panel and not "device" panel. Anyway...

So I had to close of my session. Thank goodness I was just messing around not actually in a session... although I do have autobackup enabled, so at least I have that going for me.

I checked the following thread and I will check my settings in Windows.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=348745

Any other ideas what might cause this?

PT 11.3
Focusrite Liquid Saffire Pro 56
Lenovo S20 Some Xeon Quad Processor Hyper Thread enabled for 8 cores
SSD main OS and apps drive
Internal 500gb drive for samples
External USB drive for recording to

I probably need to check if there is an updated driver for the Saffire... it has been awhile since I looked. Other than the post above and the driver, I'm not sure what else to check.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:03 AM

Default Re: ASIO Device Properties Have Changed by Control Panel Error

No damage was done, you got the opportunity to close the session. But that error message is a common occurrence for PC users running non-Avid hardware with Pro Tools. Perhaps the guitar emulation tried to open and close the sound card driver, or something? Anyway, I used to get this constantly until I began using ASIO4All as a wrapper for my sound card driver, rather than the sound card control app. If the problem persists you might want to do the same. This bug has existed for a couple of years so I get no indication that Avid has plans to fix it. It's very annoying but not fatal.

Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdude9 View Post
Hey all,
I have PT 11.3 and I started messing around with it as it is new to me. I was only playing around with guitar... no other audio or plugins active. Just 2 mono tracks with Blue Cat's patchwork which is hosting the VST plugin Recabinet 4. I was simply just messing around with some sounds... so the tracks were record enabled and I'm strumming away checking sounds out. Was working fine for at least 30 minutes when out of the blue I get "(ASIO device properties have been changed by the control panel. Pro tools must be restarted for these changes to take affect. Please restart pro tools." ... or similar to that. Pretty sure it said "control" panel and not "device" panel. Anyway...

So I had to close of my session. Thank goodness I was just messing around not actually in a session... although I do have autobackup enabled, so at least I have that going for me.

I checked the following thread and I will check my settings in Windows.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=348745

Any other ideas what might cause this?

PT 11.3
Focusrite Liquid Saffire Pro 56
Lenovo S20 Some Xeon Quad Processor Hyper Thread enabled for 8 cores
SSD main OS and apps drive
Internal 500gb drive for samples
External USB drive for recording to

I probably need to check if there is an updated driver for the Saffire... it has been awhile since I looked. Other than the post above and the driver, I'm not sure what else to check.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
No damage was done, you got the opportunity to close the session. But that error message is a common occurrence for PC users running non-Avid hardware with Pro Tools. Perhaps the guitar emulation tried to open and close the sound card driver, or something? Anyway, I used to get this constantly until I began using ASIO4All as a wrapper for my sound card driver, rather than the sound card control app. If the problem persists you might want to do the same. This bug has existed for a couple of years so I get no indication that Avid has plans to fix it. It's very annoying but not fatal.

Dean
Well obviously that's not what I wanted to hear! LOL!
I think first I will reboot... it has been awhile and then I will check the settings for the windows device to make sure it matches.

What is strange is I never recall getting that message in PT 10. However, I also never used Blue Cat's Patchwork or Recabinet in PT 10.

Anyway, I hope it was just a one time thing that hopefully won't happen often.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:22 AM

Quite the contrary. Before I started using ASIO4ALL I got it incessantly. Something about my sound card's setup app makes Pro Tools crazy. Much of the time I opened a session I had to open it twice. If I went from a 44.1K project to a 48K project I would often have to reboot. ASIO4ALL saved my sanity.

It seems like Avid places a slightly lower priority on PC users (they were historically a snobbish Mac company dragged kicking and screaming into the PC market) in general. And they give almost no priority to PC users with non-Avid hardware using ASIO. As I said, this bug has been mentioned many times, and has been around at least since early PT9 days, but it never has been fixed. Their philosophy seems to be "hey, we tested it with ASIO4ALL, anything else is your problem".

Dean

Quote:
I think first I will reboot... it has been awhile and then I will check the settings for the windows device to make sure it matches.

What is strange is I never recall getting that message in PT 10. However, I also never used Blue Cat's Patchwork or Recabinet in PT 10.

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 01-09-2015, 09:28 AM

BTW - That Blue Cat Patchwork is a really cool piece of software, isn't it? Combine it with JBridge for 32-bit conversion and the whole world of VST plugins is available. I'm using nearly every plugin (32-bit and 64-bit) I've ever had in PT 11 now. Way cool. There are a few hiccups now and then, but it is terrific.

Dean

Quote:

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 01-09-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanrichard View Post
BTW - That Blue Cat Patchwork is a really cool piece of software, isn't it? Combine it with JBridge for 32-bit conversion and the whole world of VST plugins is available. I'm using nearly every plugin (32-bit and 64-bit) I've ever had in PT 11 now. Way cool. There are a few hiccups now and then, but it is terrific.

Dean
Agreed! Patchwork rocks!

I haven't messed with jbridge yet, but I think I do have some 32bit vst's I might want to use, so I will need to look into it.

dd
Old 01-10-2015, 09:22 AM

Well shoot!... this is still and issue after checking the sound properties in the control panel and updating to the latest driver for the Saffire 56. I still wonder if it could be recabinet in patchwork causing the issue. I guess I will just have to play around with it more.

Perhaps I should look into the asio4all. Any disadvantages to that?

Thanks!
Doug D.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:11 AM

Here is the really odd thing... I never got this in PT 10. Not once!

I thought PT 11 was supposed to be more stable! Why would my Saffire work ok in 10, but I see the problem right away with 11?

Thanks,
Doug D.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:47 PM

I saw a few posts that mentioned the audio portion of their video card was causing the problem. I don't have a card with HDMI, so it had to no audio, but I did update the driver and so far so good. It is still early, but it has been running all day without a problem. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Doug D.
Old 01-11-2015, 08:00 AM

No significant disadvantages, in fact I kind of like it. But you will probably need to set up your I/O again in Pro Tools. After that it's mostly transparent. My only regret is that I didn't do it much sooner.

Dean

Quote:
Well shoot!... this is still and issue after checking the sound properties in the control panel and updating to the latest driver for the Saffire 56. I still wonder if it could be recabinet in patchwork causing the issue. I guess I will just have to play around with it more.

Perhaps I should look into the asio4all. Any disadvantages to that?

Thanks!
Doug D.