Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2010, 02:05 PM

Default monitor mixing

im able to do monitor mixes at buffer size 64. I have 2 questions though.

Is there a way to make all the send faders big. for example instead of all the big faders on the bottom feeding the main mix can I swap them between aux sends? sort of like when you use a digital mixer and select an aux you can see all the sends on the faders?

The second question is can i control the sends with groups?
thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 02:14 PM

Default Re: monitor mixing

To Q1, not really. It's part of the trade-off for having a completely configurable software mixer. One workaround is to make every send a separate bus, set them all to 0 (nominal), then make an Aux track for each. Those Auxes would be configured track-send-in to some fx-bus-out or to some Analog Output. E.g., you might have the A Send of tracks 1-24 sending to busses 1-24; Auxes 1-24 would have busses 1-24 as their inputs, and would all output to, say, Analog Output 3. You would use Memory Locations to Show/Hide the Audio and Aux tracks as needed. Kind of awkward, and you'd use up your 128 busses in a jiffy on a moderate sized mix.

Or you could open all the A Sends, line them up, and save that as a Window Configuration, repeat for each Send bank. Also kind of awkward, and time consuming to set up for each session. Not to mention you'd have to keep recalling, modifying, and updating the Windows Config each time you added a new send.

Have you tried Command-clicking (Mac) a Send assignment button to show sends as faders? They're little faders, granted, but it works.

To Q2, kind of. You can link sends of grouped tracks. When you create a group, examine all the options for what gets linked.

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 PM

o cool i found the sends thing on the group modify part.
I wish there was a window where you see all aux sends. like on an m7 when you hit sends on fader or whatever it makes it really easy to see whats going where. i guess ill have to keep using the tiny faders. It would also be nice to be able to look at all the tiny faders instead of just 2 at a time.
but at least theres adc now...
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 AM

It's the kind of feature that's a huge advantage on hardware (I've used it a lot on Yamaha 02Rs), but I doubt it would actually help that much on a computer screen with a soft mixer where nothing is fixed. In PT, you can have:
  1. a given bus send on some tracks but not others
  2. the same bus sent from different Sends (a,b,c...) on different tracks; and conversely, different busses sent from the same Send on different tracks
  3. individual mono sends of a pair on some tracks, and the stereo one on others
  4. the same bus sent from more than one Send on a given track
  5. individual sends on individual tracks potentially disabled
  6. 128 mono busses also configurable as up to stereo 64 pairs
  7. sets of 5 or 7 busses for surround mixing
Think about all the possibilities the programmers would have to take into account to make that work right. And how would you quickly and conveniently call up the faders for, say, the sends to bus pair 49-50? Are you going to have 192 different key commands to cover all the bus possibilities?

PT 2023.12 Ultimate | Clarett+ 8Pre | macOS 13.6.3 on a MacBook Pro M1 Max
PT 2023.12 | Saffire Pro 40 | Win10 latest, HP Z440 64GB
Old 01-21-2011, 12:04 AM

You can do it by setting up different window configurations and then importing them from session to session