Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2016, 06:23 AM

Default Re: What steps did you take to arrive at a stable PT

yes sir, i do know that ... i leave the history window open all the time now .. but when working fast i just plain forget about it ..

had something very bad happen yesterday but not sure if it was commit undo again .. i lost an entire day of working .. sessions file updates, session backups, files, everything was gone .. this was after i got a 9073 error .. and i save all the time ..

yet, File Dates Modified showed the Day Before as the last Session Opened BUT, BUT 2 Folders showed the correct time of 5:40pm, the correct time of Closing the session .. not a Crash just the error and i restarted PT ... weird behavior .. but a drum part and a bass part all the playlists, consolidations, plugins, were as if they were Undone ...

i saw this once or twice over my PT career .. from PTIII until now ..

i do record in Destructive Mode .. does this ring a bell to anyone ??

other than this Pretty Stable ... haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stig Eliassen View Post
I'm sure you know this, but there is an option to clear the undo queue in the undo history window drop-down.

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 05-20-2016, 07:49 AM

First and only step,i did clean the old session from PT 10 lets say,take all plugins off, close the session and open it again.Rock solid.
Old 05-20-2016, 09:30 AM

My Windows 7 rig is a bit old (2011 - see sig) but these are the steps I took to arrive at a stable PT. Most of this would apply to a more current PT12 rig.

I kept my older XP rig in production, and built this one on-the-side until fully tweaked and tested. I did a self-build, based on parts that were tried-and-true right here on the DUC; I did not do any trailblazing. Took my time with the build, since it was my first one (without the assistance of a build expert). It was fun and I learned a lot. Attached peripherals - monitors, printer, keyboard, trackball, ext drives. Powered up and installed OS from the Windows CD ROM (no bloatware), driver updates, Windows updates, tested everything, and took a boot-drive-image (Acronis or similar). Researched and tweaked a couple of bios settings. Did all Avid recommended system tweaks. Installed non Pro Tools apps such as Chrome, iTunes, Quicktime, Word, CCleaner, spyware, etc. Test ---> another boot image. Added my audio I/O device incl latest drivers, installed iLok and Pro Tools. Test ---> another boot image. Added latest versions of 3rd party plugs - one at a time - test each one. Took another boot image or 2 along the way, until all 3rd party plugs were added and tested.

I keep notes of what gets changed between boot images; I can go back in time to isolate an issue if necessary. Run CCleaner and spyware, and get program/drivers/Windows updates as needed. BTW, this rig is working well for video editing, too. It's a stable workhorse and it's pretty damn powerful. Perfect/best rig in the world? No. Bugs? Sure perhaps, but no deal breakers.

For my secondary laptop rig, I uninstalled all bloatware. I will upgrade these two rigs at some point, but not yet...

General common sense stuff, really!!!
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-20-2016, 12:12 PM

Im back on 12.4. My rig is hella fast. i7 6700k 2666k ddr4 overclocked to 4.4 ghz.

If 12.4 cant run on this it just cant run!

Lets see what happens.
Old 05-20-2016, 12:56 PM

So far its freaking butter. Wow!!!

SKYLAKE!!!!
Old 05-20-2016, 01:10 PM

The Commit in the undo history bug was what was killing me.
http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=380793

I've gone from dozens of crashes per week to just ONE this week and I think that was S6 related. (There's a known softkey bug.)

I'm using a LOT of VIs too.

Good times!!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 11:25 AM

I've been running my system for months now without any errors, then all of a sudden I started getting random AAE 6101 errors. I did a little trouble shooting to find out that the problem was coming from my Mac Bluetooth Track Pad when the battery usage was below 25%. I put in a fresh set of battery and bingo no more errors. Once again I have been working error free for the past four days. Could Pro Tools be that sensitive to computer peripherals?
Old 05-23-2016, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post
I've been running my system for months now without any errors, then all of a sudden I started getting random AAE 6101 errors. I did a little trouble shooting to find out that the problem was coming from my Mac Bluetooth Track Pad when the battery usage was below 25%. I put in a fresh set of battery and bingo no more errors. Once again I have been working error free for the past four days. Could Pro Tools be that sensitive to computer peripherals?
It's only recently that turning Bluetooth off was a system requirement. Maybe there's still a bit of "residue" in the system?

Nice detective work Sherlock!!!!
Old 05-23-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zion View Post

Nice thank you for that !! Wouldn't want to live in pro tools w/o my trackpad
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsdy View Post
It's only recently that turning Bluetooth off was a system requirement. Maybe there's still a bit of "residue" in the system?

Nice detective work Sherlock!!!!
Yeah because the Trackpad is used in almost every function of Pro Tools editing. Been tracking even today for about 8 hours and still no errors. I also forgot to mention my input buffer is for the most part set to 128 buffer even with many Vi's.