How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2020

Old 09-23-2020, 12:13 PM

Default Re: 2020.9 stability...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Does not disappear here. What system are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm on 10.14.6 Pro Tools 2020.9.1 HD Native on a MacBook Pro

I think there's an option to uninstall the uninstallers, which I select as well, since once things are uninstalled, there's no longer a need for the uninstallers.
If the uninstallers are also uninstalled, the Avid Uninstaller folder disappears from the Applications folder.

Apologies for the tongue twister, lol.

Unfortunately, I can't go back and double-check on my system, because the Avid Uninstallers folder is no longer there.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm View Post
Just saw this and I'm 99% sure I have your answer. I upgraded to a Mac Pro 7,1 this spring and immediately had the same problem with RX7 AudioSuite plugins crashing Pro Tools. After nearly a week of experimenting I figured out what was going on:

If you have any instances of Oxford Drum Gate in your session, and you have a version of ODG higher than version 1.0 installed, you won't be able to open an RX AudioSuite plugin without an instant forced quit of Pro Tools.
This is why what we recommend with PT is to get rid of ALL the plugins, then add them one by one or in groups to check which one is causing the problem.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:06 PM

Nice, Glad its working for you. Me, not so much. Of course though I'm kinda starting up from scratch. I was running PT11 with a 2008 mac pro for the last 8 years. RME PCIE, and a 24 channel SSL Converter. Just super solid. never crashed, never a problem. Until.....

The new interface. I decided to give the Slate VRS8 a go, which meant I needed a new laptop. Kind of wanted to just slim down all over. Nice 8 channel interface, fast, with a laptop. But it also requires me to upgrade and get the new Pro Tools. Just downloaded 12.2020 yesterday. I think the Ultimate, cause I didn't see anything else. Well, it wont even launch, crashes out of the gates. If I do get it launched. It crashes if i try to use a plug in. This is for 2 channels of audio.

Now I guess Ultimate is just too much for my macbook, but cant figure out how to downgrade to the regular Pro tools trial. Any clues?
Old 09-23-2020, 09:13 PM

So.... let me get this straight..... The two plugins I have issues with are causing issues with each other?! �� I quit..... haha

I do also have issues with drum gate settings/automation transferring to my windows system. Maybe I still have the older version on windows, so the izotope crashing doesn't happen, but the automation I write for drum gate doesn't play back properly between mac and win. Again.... ��

Also, to all those that say that we should find conflicting plugins in our systems. That's not our job, the plugin companies should handle this. We're paying for their code, so they should confirm that their code is correct and compatible. As a professional mixer, I have to have a ridiculous number of plugins installed on my system! I get sessions from so many different people and there's no way I'm removing things or keeping track what works and what doesn't while working on several projects at once.
Old 09-23-2020, 11:57 PM

I have a few issues with 2020.9.1 on Catalina 10.15.6.

- In some sessions PT pauses briefly when making selections in playlist view and sometimes the playback head jumps to the start of a selected region - not every time...
- PT hangs when recording multiple tracks - have to do a hard reboot to get back to work. MIGHT be a drive issue (in my case NVMe drives set up as RAID 0) or some other issue with Catalina or my specific hardware. I can't pinpoint it but since Avid posted a technical bulletin regarding a similar issue with spindle drives in the past I'm curious if they know something about it.

Plug-in-wise I don't have issues with RX7 or RX8 but I do have issues with Antares consistently losing authorization for their whole suite of plugins. Using Antares Central to re-authorize doesn't work - only rebooting fixes it.
Old 09-24-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Just saw this and I'm 99% sure I have your answer. I upgraded to a Mac Pro 7,1 this spring and immediately had the same problem with RX7 AudioSuite plugins crashing Pro Tools. After nearly a week of experimenting I figured out what was going on:

If you have any instances of Oxford Drum Gate in your session, and you have a version of ODG higher than version 1.0 installed, you won't be able to open an RX AudioSuite plugin without an instant forced quit of Pro Tools.

If I remember correctly, you can even open a session that has an instance of Oxford Drum Gate, close that session, open any number of new sessions that don't use ODG, and you'll still get an unexpected quit when you try to open an RX AudioSuite plugin. Just opening one session with an instance of ODG seems to put PT in the "ready-to-crash" state.

Oxford Drum Gate version 1.0 works fine though. Unfortunately the settings aren't compatible with later versions in Pro Tools though, at least for automation, so you'll lose any plugin automation going between versions.

This is on a Mac Pro 7,1 running Catalina 15.3 and Pro Tools 2020.5 and 2020.9.

I reported the issue to both Sonnox and iZotope in late May/early June and heard back from tech support at both companies, but I'm sure additional reports wouldn't hurt.
This is such useful information, I've started a Known Plugin Conflicts thread which I hope will be a sticky - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=412003 . I have one of my own, RX Connect and NI Kontakt - crash on loading an .nki. Hopefully others will add and the thread be a useful go to resource when people are struggling to diagnose a misbehaving system.

PT 2024 Ultimate; W11 Pro; Ryzen 9 7900; 64gb RAM; RME Babyface; UAD Quad Satellite USB; GTX 1050i
Macbook Air M2; 24gb RAM
Old 10-23-2020, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Just saw this and I'm 99% sure I have your answer.
Thanks so much for the help, but I don't have that plugin. I use Sonnox stuff, but wrapped as UAD plugs so not sure if those are in conflict or what.

I saw this post that's started to outline the issues some of us are having with RX 7/8. Izotope support has been very standoffish, saying the problem isn't theirs to deal with.

I've uninstalled GRM plugs - which they told me to do - and it didn't make a bit of difference. I've tried non-portal clean installs to no avail. I just don't understand what could be causing this issue and it's destroying my workflow. I am unable to work in the way I have for over 10 years, the people I deliver to are annoyed by the delays this is causing, and now my job and salary are threatened because of inoperable software.

An aboslutely horrible month for me with Pro Tools. First they killed Bounce to Quicktime, now RX7 doesn't work. There's honestly not much reason for me to use this software if those two elements don't work.
Mac OS X Catalina 10.15.6
Lynx Thunderbolt Aurora(n) 24
Lynx Hilo
Burl B2 Bomber
Old 10-23-2020, 02:47 PM

Avid needs a system like logic to check the plugins. It's completely ridiculous to spend time doing such.

Another thing we've gotten so used to that is so low ball one would laugh if it were not true. PT Ultimate costs $1000.00 dollars with $400 a year just to stay current.

AAX just wasn't designed well to not be using DSP. DSP AAX is great.

C
PT 2021.10 HDX 16x24 -Mac Pro 12 Cores 48 GB RAM OS 10.13.6 - API 16 channel - AMS Neve 16 channel, AMS-Neve-SSL -Pres/Processing, Bock Audio, BLUE Bottle, Neumann, Josephson -Mics, Bogner, Kemper- Guitar, Chandler Zener-Curve Bender Outboard/Master. UAudio, Waves, Plugin Alliance etc.

Last edited by Carl Lie; 10-24-2020 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-23-2020, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
Avid needs a system like logic to check the plugins. It's completely ridiculous to spend time doing such.

Another thing we gotten so used to that is so low ball one would laugh if it were not true. PT Ultimate costs $1000.00 dollars with $400 a year just to stay current.

AAX just wasn't designed well to not be using DSP. DSP AAX is great.

C
Exactly! Always problems for most users because of a plugin. Its time AVID has some sort of system where the developer sends to a database and then there is a quick way to scan for updates. It would be worth their while with less bitching and less calls to support Im sure...

Macbook Pro, 2019 (15,1) Mac OS 12.7.2 Monterey,32 Gigs Ram,2.3 GHz I9 8 Core ProTools Ultimate 2024.3, Apollo 8 Silver,TwinX.
Old 10-23-2020, 06:02 PM

The irony is that the AAX format is the newest of the bunch. Why didn’t they implement all this kind of error checking etc. into the spec?

Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk