Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2012, 12:35 PM

Default Re: Why yes, this is the successful Hackintosh build thread!

Just for GPs...
Have you trashed all your Digi Prefs?

Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2023.6
Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 running Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.9
Black Lion modified OMNI HD w/XB clock
Multiple Black Lion modified 192 FM/XB interfaces
Mac OSX ML 10.8.4 running PT10.3.7 HD4 PCIx (TDM & Native)
Old 10-01-2012, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaquilato View Post
Just for GPs...
Have you trashed all your Digi Prefs?
Yep, and turns out PT will open up...it just hangs on "setting up I/O paths" for a few minutes...anyone know what could cause this? And how I could possibly get around it?

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
W7 - 312 dverbs @ 64 buffer/ 403 dverbs @ 1024
Old 10-01-2012, 07:59 PM

I'm not using ML or 10.3 so I'm only throwing out darts here.
Rebuilt permissions?

Have you checked the Core Audio Driver and the PT aggregate device to see if they are set the same?

Do you have the option of a SPDIF output on your computer?
Change the playback engine to that output and try to run natively.
I would even try to see if the computer I/O will work.
See if any of these options work.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaquilato View Post
I'm not using ML or 10.3 so I'm only throwing out darts here.
Rebuilt permissions?

Have you checked the Core Audio Driver and the PT aggregate device to see if they are set the same?

Do you have the option of a SPDIF output on your computer?
Change the playback engine to that output and try to run natively.
I would even try to see if the computer I/O will work.
See if any of these options work.
Rebuilt permissions after I finished installing all my libraries and plugins today, still get hang on splash screen at "Setting up I/O paths".

Please excuse my noobness in this (I'm still very new to OS X and haven't done much in PT for a couple of years), but where exactly do I check the Core Audio Driver and PT aggregate device to see if they are set the same?

I have a SPDIF output on my computer, but it doesn't even come up as an option to set as my playback engine?

Appreciate your help and suggestions so far though, thanks.
PT10, Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56, Eleven Rack, i7 950 @3.80GHz, Noctua NH-D14 CPU cooler, GA-X58A-UD3R, Corsair CMD12GX3M6A1600C8 12GB, SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X HD5770 1GB GDDR5 PCIE, Caviar Black 500GB 32MB Cache OS drive, 2x Caviar Black 1TB 64MB Cache Sata3 (Audio and library), Broadcom BCM94322MC wireless network adapter
Old 10-02-2012, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by remis View Post
PT will open up...it just hangs on "setting up I/O paths" for a few minutes...anyone know what could cause this? And how I could possibly get around it?
Make sure you have your ethernet working and defined as "en0" ...

Solution found on TonyMac's website. Tons of Pro Tools Hackintosh users there.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 AM

PM me and I'll send you a screen shot.
Open your Audio Midi preference and your Core Audio driver.
Spotlight them if they're not in your dock and once they're open select to keep them there.
In PT open your playback engine.
All of these windows should reference the same i/o.

Not sure about the ethernet setting. That should have nothing to do with your i/o but I could be wrong. If you have some 3rd party fader or midi device connected via ethernet that could be creating the hang up.

There are lot's of useful tips on the TonyMac site to fix these bugs.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:42 AM

Such an interesting thread--I just read through for the first time and had no idea some folks were so militantly opposed to this. I was also surprised to learn that my membership in the Hackintosh club meant I was no longer a professional. Guess I have to give back the Emmy and change my tax status.

I want to back up a step here and instead of talking about processor speed and OS version discuss the real driving forces behind building such a rig.

In my case, I have been a truck operator for about 13 years now (as well as being a TV mixer since the early 80s). I went through quite a few combinations of systems in the truck, with the intent always to leverage whatever technology breakthroughs happened along to give clients who have budgetary restrictions a way to still do great audio. I went through Mackie d8bs with DA78s, MDRs, 02R96s with Pro Tools, and finally last November I put in a D-Control, with the emphasis always on getting great quality to the client at the lowest dollar possible.

I've been a Pro Tools owner since 3.0, and have owned quite a few systems. In that period Apple went from full pci support to limited pci support to no pci support. Digi on the other hand never waved a magic wand over any Core, Accel, or Process cards to make them unusable. When I decided to buy the D-Control, I had enough cards and interfaces to make a great HD|3 system, but they were all pci. At this point I had three choices: exchange everything for current versions with Avid, build a Windows machine, or try building an OSX machine using the Tonymac methods.

It all boils down to simple economics for me. While I plan to stay in the truck business, the bottom fell out of it about two years ago and it is very difficult to stay solvent now. That means that I have to offer something valuable to stay in business--in my case, a truly accurate and comfortable control room with a 32 fader ICON at rates that anyone can afford.

Even with the exchange Avid was offering, the price for a new set of cards and a new Mac Pro was just too prohibitive. I would not have been able to afford the D-Control. Combine that with the fact that TDM technology is at the end of its sales cycle, and for me the choice was clear. The only question I had to answer at that point was simply one of personal preference--was I willing to spend the time and effort to get OSX running on an i7, or would I just build a Windows machine? I remember thinking that if it took me more than a week to get everything running on OSX I would chuck it and go Windows, but within a few days the bones of the system were functional.

It runs 10.2 under Snow Leopard. My last truck job was recording Shinedown in Phoenix--64 tracks for 90 minutes across two drives. Needless to say it did that without breaking a sweat. And I have yet to have a client ask to see the CPU.

But here's the most important point: if Apple was still making frames that support pci, I'd still be Apple. They decided it was in their best interest to move on, and so did I. I don't sell computers to anyone and I own licenses for every piece of gear and software I use. (My HD|Native rig is a Mac Pro and I'm very satisfied with it.) This is simply a matter of maximizing available technology to fit one's own needs, nothing more.

Peter
Gypsy: PT Ultimate 2019.5, 12-core Mac Pro 3.46Ghz 64GB OS 10.14.5, HD Native, HD OMNI, 2 Artist Mix, EUCON 18.3, Presonus 32R, Studio One 4.5.1, Quad Eight preamps, Neve 3201 EQs, 2 LA-4s, Malone Design Works desk

Laptop: 10.13.6 MacBook Pro 2.8 Core i7, 16G, PT 19.5 Live 9

www.remotewest.com
@RemoteWest
Old 10-02-2012, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WombatStudio.Org View Post
Make sure you have your ethernet working and defined as "en0" ...

Solution found on TonyMac's website. Tons of Pro Tools Hackintosh users there.
Thanks mate, but I already have this one covered. It gave me some grief initially with my ilok, but ethernet is working like a champ and is defined as "en 0".

Sent from my GT-I9300T using Tapatalk 2
Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 AM

Just wanted to let you guys know, I finally succeeded building a hackintosh today.

Specs:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Vengeance LP
Graphics: Asus GT520 Silent (NVidia | passive cooled)

OSX 10.8.3 |ProTools HDN 10.3.2

I'm sill in the middle of a project, so I'm still working on my MacPro.
As of tomorrow I'll put the HDN-card into the Hackintosh and test the hell out of it.

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 10-20-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know, I finally succeeded building a hackintosh today.

Specs:

Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-X79-UD5
CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k
RAM: 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Vengeance LP
Graphics: Asus GT520 Silent (NVidia | passive cooled)

OSX 10.8.3 |[bleep]ProTools HDN 10.3.2

I'm sill in the middle of a project, so I'm still working on my MacPro.
As of tomorrow I'll put the HDN-card into the Hackintosh and test the hell out of it.
Sweet. Let us know how it goes. :)