Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2020, 03:10 PM

Default Re: I think I can use an ssd in my old cheesegrater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
You need the correct adapter for the old Mac Pro. The clueless twits at Best Buy sold you a genetic 3.5" to 2.5" adapter tray that will not work, not designed to make any connectors line up, designed for a PC with a connector cable. Don't shop at Best Buy for this stuff. Here is a good choice: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MMP35T25

The connectors that matter are all standard SATA, the correct drive tray will line them up.
Actually, The one they sold me works fine as far as the connectors lining up, there are just more connections on the mechanical drive. The bracket won’t mount to the sled, though.

The one you linked to says "Not for use with Mac Pro Models released in 2006, 2007, 2008". The ship date on the box for mine is 10/23/06. I think there must be a different one available. Or perhaps just some adapter that will allow the original sled to be used.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-02-2020 at 04:51 PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 03:19 PM

Mac Pro drive bay is just a piece of metal that aligns a 3.5" drive to correct position to connect to the motherboard properly. If you can find a generic 3.5" to 2.5" adapter you will be able to fit it, because it is designed to be 3.5" hard drive outside and 2.5" hard drive inside.
Old 03-01-2020, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Mac Pro drive bay is just a piece of metal that aligns a 3.5" drive to correct position to connect to the motherboard properly. If you can find a generic 3.5" to 2.5" adapter you will be able to fit it, because it is designed to be 3.5" hard drive outside and 2.5" hard drive inside.
No, actually the bay has rails and a clip. You don’t slide the drive straight in. It has to be mounted in a sled that conforms to the bays.

I found a couple I think might work. Do either of these look any better?

https://www.amazon.com/SMR-DRIVESLED.../dp/B01EBHFS0O

https://www.amazon.com/MAC-Drive-Sle.../dp/B01M366L82

Actually looking at the one from other world computing, I don’t really get why it wouldn’t work in my computer because the bay and sled looks the same. But it says it doesn’t work so I guess it doesn’t.

Best,

mightyduck

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-01-2020 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 01:32 AM

I would call up OWC and ask them. Their hardware pieces like this are usually pretty good.
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
No, actually the bay has rails and a clip. You don’t slide the drive straight in. It has to be mounted in a sled that conforms to the bays.
Yes, that's what I meant, you misunderstood me. The sled has nothing magical in it, it just helps the drive position itself correctly. All connections come from the drive itself. The purpose of the drive bay and sled mechanism is to keep the drive in correct position even when you move the chassis.

So if you find an adapter that makes your 2.5" SSD connect to the 3.5" sled correctly you can use the original sled to connect your smaller size drive. Point being you can even connect the drive without sled at all, just stick the connectors of the drive to the motherboard and it will power up.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
So if you find an adapter that makes your 2.5" SSD connect to the 3.5" sled correctly you can use the original sled to connect your smaller size drive. Point being you can even connect the drive without sled at all, just stick the connectors of the drive to the motherboard and it will power up.
This. I found the Newertech Adaptadrive worked the best for me. Assuming you have the original Mac Pro sleds. OWC's sleds would probably work great if you don't (and no adapter needed).

Cheaper 2.5" - 3.5" adapters might have misalignments. I also tried some custom made replacement sleds. Didn't fit right for me.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
This. I found the Newertech Adaptadrive worked the best for me. Assuming you have the original Mac Pro sleds. OWC's sleds would probably work great if you don't (and no adapter needed).

Cheaper 2.5" - 3.5" adapters might have misalignments. I also tried some custom made replacement sleds. Didn't fit right for me.
Thanks, man. What model Mac pro do you have?

Best,

mightyduck
Old 03-02-2020, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyduck View Post
Thanks, man. What model Mac pro do you have?

Best,

mightyduck
2010 12-core. 3 SSD'S - System, Audio, Video. Kept the original 1TB spinner in as a time machine.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfyou View Post
2010 12-core. 3 SSD'S - System, Audio, Video. Kept the original 1TB spinner in as a time machine.

Oh, well mine is a 2006 4-core 3.0 Ghz "built-to-order". https://everymac.com/systems/apple/m...3.0-specs.html

Can you confirm whether the adaptadrive would work with a 2006 machine?

According to owc, that sled they sell doesn't work with anything pre-2009.

I called them today, and the salesman sent a link to something he thought might work. Looks a lot like the one you referenced, right? But no extra pin connectors to mess with.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/ADPSAS2535B/. [The one owc linked me to]

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Newe...hoC6ksQAvD_BwE [The one you referenced, right?]

Last edited by mightyduck; 03-03-2020 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-03-2020, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant, you misunderstood me. The sled has nothing magical in it, it just helps the drive position itself correctly. All connections come from the drive itself. The purpose of the drive bay and sled mechanism is to keep the drive in correct position even when you move the chassis.

I do see what you are getting at, but I am not so sure trying to just stick the connectors to the motherboard would work very well. Hard to even get it back there.

Does that one that owc sent me the link for look to you like it would work? Neither that one nor the Adapatadrive really specify what models they will work with, although the adaptadrive has some pictures that look like it would work.

And this from the one I found earlier: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...ature=emb_logo

And this one, also from above: https://www.amazon.com/MAC-Drive-Sle.../dp/B01M366L82

Best,

mightyduck