Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM

Default Good Drum Machine Plug-Ins?

Anyone have any recommendations for a good drum machine plug-in that I could use? I haven't really experimented with beats or sequencing in a long time plus everything I used to use was PC based and doesn't exist anymore (ie: fasttracker II). So now I'm looking to get into it again and would like a plug-in thats very simple to use....

Suggestions?

If no one noticed I'm new here so, hello!
Old 11-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Re: Good Drum Machine Plug-Ins?

welcome, if you are interested in plugging in your own notes or if you have a good source for quality midi drum beats, I'd say get Reason Drums refill for Reason if you have it. I use them all the time and they are quite realistic. There are definitely some limits and certain samples are useless, but I build my own drum beats one note at a time so I can control velocities and placement to make the more human feeling. Usually takes me about 2 hours to create a 4 minute song, but the results are very realistic do to the care taken in placing notes and velocities. The cymbals, especially ride are garbage. I overdub all ride and use some good cymbal samples I have on file.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:19 PM

also that is if you are looking for realistic pop or rock or live band sounding drums... obviously not for dance, hip-hop, R&B, etc.
Old 11-13-2008, 12:32 PM

Hey OddsAre.... as you know from a previous post, I use a lot of midi files for my background tracks, but, I don't have a midi controller keyboard to program midi.

I just import the midi files, and then want print to audio & mix with audio plugins.

I was considering Reason 4 with some of the Refills. Is it worth it for what I'm doing?

I just want to get some really good synths with nice realistic samples.

Is Reason a good choice? What about other snyths?
Old 11-13-2008, 12:44 PM

yup for sure, Reason should be a staple. I have a couple controllers and don't really use them. I plug in the drum parts with a mouse in the Reason Sequencer. If you ever record anyone that wants realistic sounding acoustic pianos, Reason Pianos is the best deal for the money. I use the piano sounds all the time and people think they are real. I would suggest if you were going to get Reason, to think about getting a small keyboard controller like the M-Audio Axiom. You will get some kets and some drum pads to trigger percussion samples with. Well worth the $150-$250 you will spend.

Reason takes some time to get used to and the sequencer is a little clunky. I really wish they used the same keyboard shortcuts as Pro Tools, but you will get used to it. I always suggest reading the manual from front to back while sitting in front of Reason. I'm not much of a manual reader, but wow I learned a lot doing that.

Reason will be the most versatile Synth for the money. Also go into the DigStore and order your free copy of Xpand! I think it costs $10 to ship or something. With Xpand! and Reason you will have a great basic soft synth setup for quite little dough.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:18 PM

I actually do have a full version of reason the problem is have NO CLUE how to use it. I've always just tracked live drums when I needed them (easy when your a drummer). But i'm looking to get a little more creative with things as well as be able to throw down some real sounding drums to capture ideas at 2am (my wife seems to get upset if I play that late...can't figure out why).

I've figured out how to create some beats, but can't figure out the sequencing.
Is reading the manual really that worth while?

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-Core
6GB RAM
OSX 10.6.6
M-Audio Lightbridge - PT9
Music Production Tookit 2
Old 11-13-2008, 01:21 PM

I also have quite an extensive collection of sounds i've sampled myself, is there an easy way to plug those into the drum machines?

Mac Pro 2.8Ghz 8-Core
6GB RAM
OSX 10.6.6
M-Audio Lightbridge - PT9
Music Production Tookit 2
Old 11-13-2008, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Purnt View Post
So now I'm looking to get into it again and would like a plug-in thats very simple to use....

Suggestions?
Hello,
You should check EZ Drummer out, like the name says its EZ even for a Midiot like me. I like Reason too although I only got the Adapted version (you must have it too in the Ignition Pack along with BFDLite). Also there's Addictive Drums which has a nice demo for download.
Happy Hunting!
Old 11-13-2008, 01:28 PM

I recommend BFD 2, I have been using it for a while, great samples, very realistic and I don't see anything better yet.
Old 11-13-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by On Purnt View Post
Is reading the manual really that worth while?
I guess there is only one way to find out...