Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support


Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools 2019

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #71  
Old 09-08-2019, 07:14 AM
Sardi Sardi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Perth
Posts: 1,634
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I think they started on PT9 when Avid opened PT to 3rd party interfaces. Never heard of a PT8 or earlier (DigiDesign-branded) system suffer from it.

No it was well before then. I had it on an original MBox. The one with the Focusrite mic pres. It was a portable secondary rig I had.

It definitely was before PT9 as once that came about, I jumped out of the AVID/Digi interface market.

Pretty sure it was v8.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:39 AM
musicman691 musicman691 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: The Soprano State (NJ)
Posts: 16,551
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

I just jumped on the PT 2019.6 upgrade a few weeks back but have been following this deal for way before that. So I ask: what are people actually looking to get out of an update?
Bug fixes (I'm sure there are many that still need squashing)
Additional features (I understand ARA has been a hot topic)
Additional functionality like track folders and dare I say it delay compensation for sidechains
or..............?

I realize this may well be opening Pandora's box though
__________________
Jack
See profile for system details
iMac dead & retired as of 11/4/17

QAPLA!
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 09-08-2019, 09:47 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I just jumped on the PT 2019.6 upgrade a few weeks back but have been following this deal for way before that. So I ask: what are people actually looking to get out of an update?
Bug fixes (I'm sure there are many that still need squashing)
Additional features (I understand ARA has been a hot topic)
Additional functionality like track folders and dare I say it delay compensation for sidechains
or..............?

I realize this may well be opening Pandora's box though
That question perfectly outlines how dumb and twisted this whole deal with subscription is.
The sane way being a company releases and promotes a product and the customers decide if they want to buy into it based on what the update brings. That's what makes sense. And on top it incentivizes the company to put some effort into it.
What do I expect from an update? I expect return for my investment. If there are bugs - of course, fix them. Is there a lack of features? Implement them. If I pay you money, you have to make up for it. And if you do jack, then don't make me pay. That's my expectations.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 09-08-2019, 10:01 AM
capt kirk capt kirk is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: vancouver
Posts: 380
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Maybe some of you guys dont get how or what SaaS is.....its called software as a service, meaning you're paying just to use it, thats all. its like a roller coaster or a taxi cab.....Now , do you AGREE with that business model is another question, I dont, but thats what they and every other software company are/have morphed into, for the cashflow consistency. So the bottom line is, yes these type of threads are useless because thats their business model and it aint gonna change. or just get a solid version with a computer that works properly, FREEZE IT, and enjoy life.....or stay on the unhappy hamster wheel of SaaS.
__________________
www.kfaudio.ca
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 09-08-2019, 10:09 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt kirk View Post
Maybe some of you guys dont get how or what SaaS is.....its called software as a service, meaning you're paying just to use it, thats all. its like a roller coaster or a taxi cab.....Now , do you AGREE with that business model is another question, I dont, but thats what they and every other software company are/have morphed into, for the cashflow consistency. So the bottom line is, yes these type of threads are useless because thats their business model and it aint gonna change. or just get a solid version with a computer that works properly, FREEZE IT, and enjoy life.....or stay on the unhappy hamster wheel of SaaS.
Thing is, it could be a working and worthwhile model for both sides.
I don't think anybody who uses PT on a professional level (i.e. generates income using the software) minds the yearly fee in and of itself.
But why is it, that Avid seems to be the only software company in the DAW realm, that is leap years behind everybody else in terms of features? Why can't they stick to their promised steady stream of releases?
If I pay rent and my landlord responds to calls when something needs to be fixed I don't even think about holding a grudge against him, because he makes me pay rent. I get something in return, we're both in that game and each contributes their part for a functioning relationship. We have a beer and BBQ every now and then, we cool.
If the heat is out, there's brown outs all the time and there's mold because the roof leaks, and the guy doesn't even answer his phone - that's a totally other story.

It's not about the subscription model, it's about how Avid handles their part of the deal. They don't have to change their business model, but they should change their act if they care about a good relationship.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 09-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Bob Olhsson's Avatar
Bob Olhsson Bob Olhsson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 1969
Location: Songwriter Gulch, Nashville, TN
Posts: 3,321
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

I don't think the right answer is more frequent but buggier releases. I've been utterly shocked by the bugfix lists in recent updates of other DAWs. Unfortunately, today's operating systems are a moving target every developer needs to stay ahead of.
__________________
Bob's room 615 562-4346
Georgetown Masters 615 254-3233
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 09-08-2019, 11:51 AM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
I don't think the right answer is more frequent but buggier releases. I've been utterly shocked by the bugfix lists in recent updates of other DAWs. Unfortunately, today's operating systems are a moving target every developer needs to stay ahead of.
Agreed, no buggy releases, please. But isn't that up to resources directed towards their coding staff? More competent people doing a better job and more people beta testing.
I mean, it's the same playing field for all software companies, isn't it? Some handle it better, some worse. Take the former as a role model.

Edit: And to Avid's limited credit - recent releases have been pretty much rock solid for me. Which is something that couldn't be said for a looooong time in the past.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 09-08-2019, 11:59 AM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,903
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
more people beta testing
As a former member of the beta team, let me say that more is not the merrier. You need quality testers that produce findings that are reproducible in Engineering. Every single finding must be spot on to make it possible to fix it.

In a perfect world Avid would have paid beta testing team but it isn't the case. Alpha testing (a.k.a. "Engineering") is in-house as well as beta team lead but beta testing is based on volunteer work and whatever gear the non-avid testers have.

Some people are joking all customers using current version are beta testers. That may be true, sadly, but it shouldn't be like that.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 09-08-2019, 12:01 PM
JFreak's Avatar
JFreak JFreak is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Tampere, Finland
Posts: 16,903
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meads View Post
And to Avid's limited credit - recent releases have been pretty much rock solid for me. Which is something that couldn't be said for a looooong time in the past.
Maybe because the 2019.5 was initially planned as 2019.1 release, then 2019.3 release, finally it could not have been postponed any more. If you have quarter to half a year testing time the quality is obviously something different than week to month testing.
__________________
Janne
What we do in life, echoes in eternity.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 09-08-2019, 12:08 PM
Meads's Avatar
Meads Meads is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,829
Default Re: Are we not due an update??!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
As a former member of the beta team, let me say that more is not the merrier. You need quality testers that produce findings that are reproducible in Engineering. Every single finding must be spot on to make it possible to fix it.

In a perfect world Avid would have paid beta testing team but it isn't the case. Alpha testing (a.k.a. "Engineering") is in-house as well as beta team lead but beta testing is based on volunteer work and whatever gear the non-avid testers have.

Some people are joking all customers using current version are beta testers. That may be true, sadly, but it shouldn't be like that.
I have been part of iZotope's RX beta team for a couple releases so I totally understand how hunting down bugs and tracking down how to reproduce them can be hard. And that quantity in the beta testing department doesn't necessarily help.
But how do you even enroll for beta testing, how does Avid acquire volunteers? I'm sure there's a lot of experienced folk who would be happy to participate in that regard.
__________________

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Update Module Firmware message after 3.7 update WildHoney Pro Tools | S6 1 10-21-2017 11:28 AM
Sierra 10.10.6 - To COMBO update - or App Store Update ? Seafoam_Green macOS 4 09-15-2017 01:19 PM
HD Native cant Update Firmware after installing PT9.0.5 Update Aditu Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win) 72 11-27-2012 03:57 PM
10.3 Update - Windows shutdown issue has returned. Update at your own risk. crm0510 Windows 14 09-19-2012 01:50 PM
10.5.6 update. Is it safe to apply the system update from 10.5.5? SBCCMusic 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac) 9 02-02-2009 02:27 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2008, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited. Forum Hosted By: URLJet.com