Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)

Old 10-21-2011, 04:26 PM

Default Do I Need Pro Tools HD?

New Pro Tools 10 announcement has me wondering if I want to do a software only upgrade (currently PT9) OR if I want to spring for a purchase of an HD Native system.

My current set up is PT9 with Lynx Aurora 16 via AES16e card. On a 2008 Mac Pro. Seems to work well for the most part. Sometimes it's a little slow. Sometimes I get error messages. Sometimes on complex mixes the system gets bogged down. But for the most part, it seems OK.

I'm doing mostly rock music. Drum kit is max inputs I ever do at about 12 at a time. I'll run hardware inserts once in a while to run out to an outboard compressor like distressor or 1176 while mixing (and SSL lives on master bus). Sometimes I can track with certain plugins, but I usually don't. They seem to add some latency.

My other issue is that I'd like to be able to be mixing more as I go. As of now, if I get deep into a mix and then have to re-record parts later the session gets way bogged down and I can't track at low buffer settings unless I disable lots of tracks/plugs.

What am I missing out on? Do I need HD Native? Would a new computer be better? Or spring for full HDX card?

Any help/advice/feedback/suggestions are appreciated!
Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Do I Need Pro Tools HD?

You may see a performance increase with HD Native, but I'm not sure how well the Lynx works with it. The best reports with HD Native seem to come from those on a Westmere Mac Pro using one of the new Avid interfaces. HDX is a big investment and you'd probably have to trade in your Lynx to get one of the new IO's.
Old 10-21-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumster View Post
You may see a performance increase with HD Native, but I'm not sure how well the Lynx works with it. The best reports with HD Native seem to come from those on a Westmere Mac Pro using one of the new Avid interfaces. HDX is a big investment and you'd probably have to trade in your Lynx to get one of the new IO's.
Yeah, if I was going to do the upgrade I'd likely sell the Lynx (and a couple other things) and get HD Native + the HD 16x16 i/o
Old 10-21-2011, 07:22 PM

You won't regret going with one of the new IO's. I unloaded my Lynx back in July and am very pleased with the HD IO. The Lynx is a great box, but the Avid is in another league.