Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-02-2004, 06:17 AM

Default MIDI channels question

Is there a fast way to divide midi channels on a midi track? I would like to take my one midi drum file and separate each into it's own track-i.e. kick track, snare track, etc. Could anyone give me some advice on the most efficient way to accomplish this? Much thanks.
Old 04-02-2004, 09:34 PM

Default Re: MIDI channels question

Hi,

duplicate the track a few time, then get rid of everything but the kick notes on the first, everything but the snare on the second and so on.

Simple enough?

PTLE 5.1.1 Digi001 MacOS9.2.2 Yikes!400MHz
Old 04-06-2004, 06:44 AM

Thanks, but I am looking for something less tedious...maybe I'm lazy but using the eraser on each midi note of a drum track takes a long time. Multiply that Xs 7 and that sucks plus it's easy to forget random tom hits you may not see.
There should be a way to select each midi channel and cut and paste that into empty midi tracks.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 PM

You can use the selection tool to select all of the midi notes you want to delete. Make your tracks short horizontally so you won't be dragging the selection and scrolling too much.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:23 PM

Quote:
You can use the selection tool to select all of the midi notes you want to delete. Make your tracks short horizontally so you won't be dragging the selection and scrolling too much.
How do you do this? If I use the selector tool, I can only select all or none of the midi notes on the track. There doesn't seem to be any way to select individual notes and not the horizontally adjacent notes above/below the note I want to delete.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:26 PM

Oh forget it, I got it. Sorry so clueless, I haven't edited much midi, thanks for the help.
Old 04-09-2004, 09:34 PM

It's the grabber not the selector.
or you can Command shift click in the keyboard of the midi trk to select all notes in the trk at that pitch. Then cut and paste to another trk using ; and p to move the selection from trk to track is really fast. This is how I split out drums. Also these are just pitches not channels.