Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-2013, 05:46 PM

Default Headphones sound like crap with 11R

I usually always play through headphones and they usually sound beautiful. The Headphone output on the 11R sounds like a can of bees (tinny and no dynamics) - would getting a small poweramp help? I can run it into one of my amps but the only amp with a headphone output is Fender Mustang I just got. If I pick up a small Poweramp would that help?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Headphones sound like crap with 11R

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs View Post
I usually always play through headphones and they usually sound beautiful. The Headphone output on the 11R sounds like a can of bees (tinny and no dynamics) - would getting a small poweramp help? I can run it into one of my amps but the only amp with a headphone output is Fender Mustang I just got. If I pick up a small Poweramp would that help?
What exact headphone? The Eleven Rack headphone amp has a bit of trouble driving some more demanding headphones.

Poweramp? If you have demanding headphones you want a quality headphone amp. Start with telling us exactly what headpones you have. You might also have damaged headphones, or less likely a damaged/faulty amp.

Are you only listening to the Eleven Rack with headphones? Or what does it sound like out the monitor outs? If you've only just listened to in with headphones I'd generally start by suspecting pilot error than the headphones.

Darryl
Old 02-02-2013, 06:17 PM

What headphones are you using? Do you have any more to try? The 11R sounds great with phones for me and Im not even using super expensive phones.

what kind of presets are you using with phones? If you setup a preset while playing through an amp or floor monitor or even studio monitors in a room that is not tuned, the rig probably won't sound the same through phones.

Try starting a rig using headphones and build it so it sounds good through them.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-03-2013, 01:43 AM

I'm using an el cheapo pair of Koss (probably $20)... I use them for other sims & they sound pretty good - I'm going to find a better set on sale. Some presets sound fine (Jangly Stereo for instance) but lot of the high-gain ones sound like [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

any recommendations? $100 or less...
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedogs View Post
I'm using an el cheapo pair of Koss (probably $20)... I use them for other sims & they sound pretty good - I'm going to find a better set on sale. Some presets sound fine (Jangly Stereo for instance) but lot of the high-gain ones sound like [bleep][bleep][bleep][bleep].

any recommendations? $100 or less...
I cant remember if I paid $99 or $199, but the Audio Technica ATH-PRO5 MS work great for me on all kinds of sound sources. I don't know if they make the model any more, but anything Audio Technica for around $100 would be better than the budget Koss cans.

I also like Sony headphones, but I would not suggest them, they seem to really hype the high end.

Beyerdynamic makes some really great phones as well, something like the DT 770 should work great. The 11R probably won't be able to drive them hard since they are 250ohm, but you should be able to get loud enough. Be sure to spend at least $100 (msrp) buying phones priced at $35 will sound like $35 phones.

You will want CLOSED headphones.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-03-2013, 07:09 AM

Have checked that your speaker cabs are engaged. If they are bypassed - it will sound like bees in a can...
Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 AM

OP - Check your "Amp Output" settings. If either is set to "Rig Out No Cab", it will defeat cab and mic sims on ALL outputs, including the headphones.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moff View Post
OP - Check your "Amp Output" settings. If either is set to "Rig Out No Cab", it will defeat cab and mic sims on ALL outputs, including the headphones.
Good point. If you have been playing through a physical amp/cab you may have forgotten that you turned off cab modeling.

Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 02-04-2013, 06:10 PM

I have a set of Sony MDR-7506 (paid $150), clean sound and pretty neutral. I think rigs I'll setup with them will translate well everywhere. But they are a bit dull to listen to (no hype) and not very sensible.

When I want to have fun I use my Shure e02 IEM (paid $90). They are a tight fit but once fitted properly it seals the ear and it's like playing without headphones, light, very confortable with a lot of bass (perfect when I play bass guitar!!!).
Old 02-05-2013, 01:34 AM

I have very good results with a Sony MDR-7509 HD