How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2012, 05:39 AM

Default Yamaha DM1000 stopped controlling PT after W7 & PT10HD upgrade

Exactly as it says on the title.

I used to control Pro Tools HD 8.0.x on Windows XP with Yamaha DM1000 v2 with the add on effects successfully, until recently. Since many new sofware won't work on XP I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 32 bit, Service Pack 1. PTHD10 works just fine but DM1000 won't communicate with PT whatever I have done.

My settings in the pripherals set up dialog box are correct (HUI, Yamaha MIDI 1 IN-OUT etc), so are my settimgs on the DM1000. I am quite familiar with the yammy desks 02R96, 01V96... I have just flashed the DM1000 to v2.41.

Latest Yamaha MIDI driver installation is healhty since I can use Yamaha Studio Manager 2 software just fine.

I tried to make sure that the settings on my set up is all cool before I open up this topic, but now I suspect that this could be a PT10 issue.

I require your input on this. Anybody using Yamaha digital desks as a remote wit PT10HD with success? I know that there are members with Yamaha+PT HD combination on the forum. Hope to hear from you.
Old 01-25-2012, 09:41 AM

Default Re: Yamaha DM1000 stopped controlling PT after W7 & PT10HD upgrade

Hello,

I've not used the DM1000 with PT10 HD on win 7... but I did experience MIDI problems in general with win 7. The problems started when I set up an HP z400 with PT9 HD on win7. The MIDI interface that I previously used did not work due to driver issues. I have several MOTU MIDI interfaces and I connected a HUI based controller (mackie) vai MIDI and it stopped working.

Even though the interfaces had "working win 7" drivers Pro Tools would not properly recognize the MIDI interface. Even my Digidesign MIDI i/o would not work properly with PT 9 or 10 under win 7 Pro 64-bit.

I ended up needing to use a little cheap-o M-Audio midi interface. Microsoft fundamentally changed how MIDI is integrated into win 7. In addition if you are running the 64-bit version you may have additional driver issues. Eventually you will need to move to the 64-bit version of windows as eventually PT will switch over to this.... who knows... v11 v10.5, who knows??

Anyhow, if memory serves that Yamaha mixer connects via USB and then there is a MIDI driver that has the DM-1000 show up as a MIDI interface. Is that correct? I would hazard a guess that it is a Win 7 driver issue. If you poke around in the control panels you will notice that the MIDI info and control panels are not in the same place as they were under XP.

You may need to fish around in win 7 to see if there are some settings that you can change in the yamaha driver, but this may not be a straight forward thing to do.

Hope this helps a little.

- Jonathon
Old 01-26-2012, 12:20 AM

Hi Jonathon

Thanks for your message.

DM1000 is actually a MIDI input device in this case rather than a MIDI interface. I will look for those MIDI settings in W7 as you suggested. But currently on my set-up DM1000 works well with Yamaha'a Studio Manager 2 software which proves that the MIDI connection, driver installation etc is healthy. With this software MIDI information is transfered both ways (from Yamaha to PC and from PC to Yamaha), the faders move in sync on each platform.

I still suspect this is a PT10HD issue.
Old 01-26-2012, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubber View Post
Hi Jonathon

Thanks for your message.

DM1000 is actually a MIDI input device in this case rather than a MIDI interface. I will look for those MIDI settings in W7 as you suggested. But currently on my set-up DM1000 works well with Yamaha'a Studio Manager 2 software which proves that the MIDI connection, driver installation etc is healthy. With this software MIDI information is transfered both ways (from Yamaha to PC and from PC to Yamaha), the faders move in sync on each platform.

I still suspect this is a PT10HD issue.
Hi clubber, I just want to say I hope you get this running. But I'm sure you know that the dm1000 and dm1000v2 are discontinued, so this might make it especially hard to get it working if ever it turns out to be on yamaha's side of things (ie didn't update drivers for windows 7 or any other reasons like that)

Wave-T.com
Old 01-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Hi clubber, I just want to say I hope you get this running. But I'm sure you know that the dm1000 and dm1000v2 are discontinued, so this might make it especially hard to get it working if ever it turns out to be on yamaha's side of things (ie didn't update drivers for windows 7 or any other reasons like that)
I share with you. Luckily, at the moment I am upto date with the DM1000 drivers, Editor and Studio Manager software for Windows 7. All working fine.
By the way; my DM1000 is V2 with the add on effects, it should be called a VCM now isn't it?
I am hoping a coming soon cs update for PT10 will fix many things for many users. Today I had trouble with my IK plug-ins like: Miroslav Philharmonik, Sample Tank, Sonik Synth, Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX on PTHD10
Old 01-26-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
I share with you. Luckily, at the moment I am upto date with the DM1000 drivers, Editor and Studio Manager software for Windows 7. All working fine.
By the way; my DM1000 is V2 with the add on effects, it should be called a VCM now isn't it?
I am hoping a coming soon cs update for PT10 will fix many things for many users. Today I had trouble with my IK plug-ins like: Miroslav Philharmonik, Sample Tank, Sonik Synth, Amplitube 2, Ampeg SVX on PTHD10
if you do have the vcm it would be written on the mixer itself, the vcm's are in fact still supported unlike their counterparts.

I haven't been able to use sample tank2.5xl on PT 10, and IK aren't very interested in fixing the problem as I'm pretty sure it's on their side of things, could be wrong though. They are more interested in getting their st3 out soon.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-26-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
if you do have the vcm it would be written on the mixer itself, the vcm's are in fact still supported unlike their counterparts.
The only difference between the v2 and VCM are the add on effects which were previously sold seperately. VCM's come with those add on effects pre-installed. And I installed them all to my v2. That's why I said that. I feel a bit safe on the Yamaha side of things. Feel like the VCM, v2 will be supported for a while. Add on expansion cards keep coming from third party companies which are compatible with all those Yamaha desks. The Dante card for instance: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...ante_my16_aud/
I think Waves had a new card as well. Well this has been off topic :)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
The only difference between the v2 and VCM are the add on effects which were previously sold seperately. VCM's come with those add on effects pre-installed. And I installed them all to my v2. That's why I said that. I feel a bit safe on the Yamaha side of things. Feel like the VCM, v2 will be supported for a while. Add on expansion cards keep coming from third party companies which are compatible with all those Yamaha desks. The Dante card for instance: http://www.yamahaproaudio.com/global...ante_my16_aud/
I think Waves had a new card as well. Well this has been off topic :)
:), let's see what the cs brings up.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-28-2012, 03:24 AM

PT 10.0.1 update did not solve my issue.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 AM

Funny and surprising solution. Excuse my ignorance if this was a known issue.
Right click on PT and Run As Admin. Everything solved.
My DM1000 works perfectly as a remote and some IK plug-ins work normally. Happy :)