Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Default Re: Reverse button in Pro Tools 12 HD

Given the fact that Pro Tools 10 saw the addition of a reverse button to the Audiosuite window for delay and reverb plug-ins, I'm sure it can be added elsewhere without re-writing everything.

That's not to say the juice would be worth the squeeze, though... Since (as has been pointed out) the Reverse audiosuite process is only a few clicks away.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Given the fact that Pro Tools 10 saw the addition of a reverse button to the Audiosuite window for delay and reverb plug-ins, I'm sure it can be added elsewhere without re-writing everything.

That's not to say the juice would be worth the squeeze, though... Since (as has been pointed out) the Reverse audiosuite process is only a few clicks away.
We are not talking about a Reverse button in any AudioSuite window, we talk about the Reverse plug-in and the necessity for some users to bring its functionality to... wherever, the Edit Window?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
Mind you, .... re-writing PT from scratch?? This is obsurd. Do you actually know what you are talking about?
I thought when I wrote "I don't know anything about anything" it would make clear exactly how informed and authoritative is the position from which I speak! However, just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I'm wrong. The law of averages being what it is, even morons coincidentally hit on a right answer now and then, just by fluke.

I was addressing Pro Tools problems on the whole, not just the reverse button. My reasoning (if you can call it that) is that Avid is building newer versions of Pro Tools on top of code that was created when conditions were different, and that's:

1. hindering Avid's ability to add new features,
2. allowing old bugs to propagate through successive versions,
3. making it more sensitive to its environment than is now considered typical.

Think back to when Pro Tools was young. In those days it was not uncommon for some software to require specific hardware. Operating systems didn't have things like Core Audio or universal graphics rendering languages. Could it be that Pro Tools is just written in an olden-days way that makes it hard to adapt it to the way we expect systems to work now?

Consider also the number of bugs that have existed through version after version after version. It strikes me as unlikely that Avid would just ignore them unless there were significant obstacles to fixing them.

Finally, look at Final Cut Pro. Apple realized that it was no longer viable to keep current and rewrote it from the ground up. That meant holding back certain features while they built it back up, but the end result is a better product.

So which is worse: enduring the short-term pain of renovating and winding up with a more functional, reliable, comfortable finished product, or enduring the ongoing pain of plumbing, electrical and structural issues that are not up to current standards, will constantly require patches and repairs, and still never be as good as what you can now get new?
Old 08-26-2015, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver M View Post
We are not talking about a Reverse button in any AudioSuite window, we talk about the Reverse plug-in and the necessity for some users to bring its functionality to... wherever, the Edit Window?
I know what we're talking about. The reverse button in the Audiosuite window performs a render of the Reverse plug-in, a render of the selected delay/verb plug-in, then another pass with the Reverse plug-in.

So, to reiterate, I'm saying that the addition of a button to ANY window - Edit window, Clip list, Workspace, whichever - that performs a single pass of the Reverse audiosuite plug-in should be possible without a complete re-write... I'm agreeing with you. It probably could be done, but the question is whether that functionality is wanted by enough users for Avid to devote resources to implementing it, testing it, then releasing as part of an update.
Old 08-27-2015, 07:44 AM

When mastering in samplitude we always assigned reverse to the "r" key. But it was a real-time process in Samplitude.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
So, to reiterate, I'm saying that the addition of a button to ANY window - Edit window, Clip list, Workspace, whichever - that performs a single pass of the Reverse audiosuite plug-in should be possible without a complete re-write... I'm agreeing with you. It probably could be done, but the question is whether that functionality is wanted by enough users for Avid to devote resources to implementing it, testing it, then releasing as part of an update.
Exactly, you nailed it.

Last edited by Oliver M; 08-28-2015 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Why would they add such a specific feature that VERY few people would use/need when there are already incredibly simple and fast ways to accomplish the task?
I have to agree. I like PT because it looks like Logic PC did. Uncluttered. Avid still managed to keep it neat while adding some powerful features since 7.4.

Along with the window config, if you are doing a job where many clips have to be reversed or processed a certain way, you can have a separate window open with a few audiosuite FX open by ticking of the little red square in the upper right hand corner or shift clicking I think. This allows more FX to be open at once. However, it would be nice to have a built in macro command section.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5V View Post
I thought when I wrote "I don't know anything about anything" it would make clear exactly how informed and authoritative is the position from which I speak! However, just because I'm an idiot doesn't mean I'm wrong. The law of averages being what it is, even morons coincidentally hit on a right answer now and then, just by fluke.

I was addressing Pro Tools problems on the whole, not just the reverse button. My reasoning (if you can call it that) is that Avid is building newer versions of Pro Tools on top of code that was created when conditions were different, and that's:

1. hindering Avid's ability to add new features,
2. allowing old bugs to propagate through successive versions,
3. making it more sensitive to its environment than is now considered typical.

Think back to when Pro Tools was young. In those days it was not uncommon for some software to require specific hardware. Operating systems didn't have things like Core Audio or universal graphics rendering languages. Could it be that Pro Tools is just written in an olden-days way that makes it hard to adapt it to the way we expect systems to work now?

Consider also the number of bugs that have existed through version after version after version. It strikes me as unlikely that Avid would just ignore them unless there were significant obstacles to fixing them.

Finally, look at Final Cut Pro. Apple realized that it was no longer viable to keep current and rewrote it from the ground up. That meant holding back certain features while they built it back up, but the end result is a better product.

So which is worse: enduring the short-term pain of renovating and winding up with a more functional, reliable, comfortable finished product, or enduring the ongoing pain of plumbing, electrical and structural issues that are not up to current standards, will constantly require patches and repairs, and still never be as good as what you can now get new?
Latest Version of PT is just about re-writen from ground-up and is pretty reliable... given that the user has an optimized hardware/software configuration.
Reverse button is a bad idea to integrate into the GUI... and so easy to do with a few clicks... How many times in a session do you reverse the audio anyways?
Old 08-28-2015, 10:06 PM

I got a reverse button on my Slate Raven
Old 08-29-2015, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
Latest Version of PT is just about re-writen from ground-up
That's what I was given to understand, but that doesn't seem to be the case. Bugs dating back to versions 7 and 8 reportedly still exist in 12. Wouldn't a rewrite have remedied those? Or at least altered their behaviour?