Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2015, 03:12 PM

Default Re: Waves and Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
Waves has a stellar reputation for support. Their support really is insanely phenomenal. Anyone I've seen complain about it has not even taken initiative to call them, or they are running bootlegs. Any time I've ever needed them, they have had me resolved in a very timely fashion, before I'm off the phone. Above and beyond.

The reason I bring this up is their DSP platform.

With Avid, you sort of have all your eggs in one basket with your Audio I/O interfacing, and your DSP... when the EOL, like HD, now you have two platforms that move.

I like the concept of my Waves plugs running on Waves hardware. Of course the hardware will change over time, but I'm betting the lifespan of the product will be greater than Avid hardware, and the pricepoint is better. My HDN system, with a DLS, is still less than HDX would have cost me, and the DLS has far more horsepower for plugs than one HDX card.

To me, it's perfect. HDN is plenty for me (64 I/O).... Latency is not an issue for me even with the HDN rig standalone... things would be even more improved with a DLS. I have DLS on my radar for two rooms this year.

Can't Wait.

I think the offerings from both sides are good. Having the option to use both sides together, pick and choose what you need from both, is even better.

Flexibility. Love it.
I agree with you on Waves. The customer support (now days at least) seems second to none. Fast replies to all emails and they even remoted into my computer and fixed the issue I was having.

Thanks for the other comments those. It's something really good to think about.

Are you limited to 16 stereo or 32 mono channels using studio rack since Waves sees the DLS as a 192?
Old 03-12-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLetMeDrown View Post
Are you guys running out of juice using Waves native? They are so light even using lots of them seems like the computer is never struggling. Recording full bands here with 24 i/o
I'm running a 2012 Macbook Pro 2.3 I7 with 16GB of RAM. The last album I mixed I was running my computer at about half capacity. That being said, Pro Tools would tell me to remove plugins or increase my buffer size every now and then. (Buffer already maxed.)
Old 03-12-2015, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
I should also note, I am not having issues with plugin count... even with Native on a 5,1 Quad 3.2 Mac Pro with 32GB RAM....

I am looking to add the DLS for longevity sake.... as things progress and our sessions get larger and larger (just seems to go that way, more often with stuff brought in, rather than stuff we record in house)
My job just purchased one DLS. Install should be this weekend. It will service two Mix Stages. The old Macs are beginning to buckle under the stress using Waves Native. Much more streamlined and cost effective to grab a DLS than the upheaval of upgrading to new Trashcan Macs and Magmas.
Old 03-12-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall2Wall View Post
Much more streamlined and cost effective to grab a DLS than the upheaval of upgrading to new Trashcan Macs and Magmas.
If you use enough instances of Waves plug-ins. Waves state that the architecture is open, which is great, but have many third parties ported plug-ins to the Soundgrid system?
Old 03-12-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
If you use enough instances of Waves plug-ins. Waves state that the architecture is open, which is great, but have many third parties ported plug-ins to the Soundgrid system?
I asked Waves about that a few weeks ago. Waves says Plugin Alliance was in beta for the Soundgrid system and it should be released soon.

I don't know why it's taken 2 years, but better late than never.

They also mentioned that other companies should be joining soon.
Old 03-12-2015, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Voyles View Post
Waves says Plugin Alliance was in beta for the Soundgrid system and it should be released soon.
That is EXACTLY what I wanted to hear, as I own about half of their catalog.. Plugin Alliance, Kush, Meldaproduction, and Slate are my "most wanted".

Avid, Nomad Factory, and Plug&Mix also... But Avid won't make a soundgrid version for obvious reasons, Nomad and P&M are small developers that have trouble keeping up with themselves as it is.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:22 PM

there are so many great AAX DSP plug-ins I don't miss waves at all
McDSP, Sonnox, Softube, Flux, Duy, Metric Halo, Wave Arts, Plugin Alliance, Crane Song.
Old 03-13-2015, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Fool me once- shame on you
Fool me twice- shame on me!
Exactly.

APA was introduced (shown in NAMM, not released) in July 2005 and discontinued in July 2008 so its lifespan was a whopping three years, or less than that if you take its actual release date in September 2005.

Now when were the SG servers first introduced?
Old 03-13-2015, 03:11 AM

Got myself some Plugin Alliance stuff as well, mostly SPL and all the Elysia stuff, great tech. Would be awesome to see that come to SoundGrid.

I got myself a nice J-Bass recently and I've been working on laying down a track. A problem I've encountered is low-level hum if is sit to close to the monitor. Normally I record back form the screen, but while I'm writing, rehearsing or playing around with settings it's so much easier just to stay in front of the computer keyboard...

Anyway...

The hum was buggin me after a while, particularly after applying some compression with the new DBX. So I tried applying a Waves noise removal plugin to the bass signal just to see how much the latency would be...

I was actually quite shocked and amazed. The latency of the NS1 or W43 is pretty much non existent, even with the DBX in circuit. I got to say I'm quite impressed by the quality and performance.

Waves won't drop Native, they still need to be able to pay the bills. They integrate Native as part of SoundGrid to encourage more users to buy their boxes. I'm even thinking about it now.

The move wasn't done because the eventually plan on eliminating Native support.

I can't corroborate this, but it does make a lot of financial sense.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Now when were the SG servers first introduced?
After a little searching this is what I found... The SoundGrid platform first gets pubic press in 2010 with a Server release (may or may not be the first) in 2011. All of this was aimed at Live Sound. The alliance between Waves and Digco looks to be ~2010. Since then there are now four dedicated servers plus the DLS and IOS Interface/Server boxes plus SoundGrid cards for Allen and Heath and Yamaha Consoles as well as the new Roland M5000.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/d...2010_infocomm/

http://livedesignonline.com/blog/wav...igico-consoles

http://www.fast-and-wide.com/faw-new...r-2011-release
Design Engineer: http://www.propowerinc.com/resume.html