How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2003, 01:24 PM

Default I\'m Stuffed

Hi all.

I know this may be a silly question but l'll ask anywhy.

I need to make room on my hard drive, so once i've backed up all my songs to my zip drive,can i then erase them from the hd and not lose any files?

Thank you
Jay.
Old 09-17-2003, 09:25 PM

Default Re: I\'m Stuffed

If you back up properly, by doign a Save session copy in, and verify the copies work once transfered to your zip and back...which isin't going to hold alot, I believe th biggest zip is 250mb or something like that. A 24 track pt session of 4 minutes will be much bigger than that. Get yourself an external drive, something like a Firedock if you have firewire, or even USB, although the USB1.1 is pretty slow, it'll give you some size anyway.

even a DVD burner for a few hundred bucks will be easier and less expensive than the zip.
Old 09-18-2003, 02:19 AM

Hi Where.
Thanks for your help.

What your saying makes sence but i've managed to transfer 18 songs onto a 100 mb zipdisk by copying each songs reel to reel icon(in each tracks foulder).Isn't that sufficient,or dosn't it include the audio files?

Cheer mate
Jay.
Old 10-01-2003, 01:33 PM

Boy do I wish you could get 18 songs on a 100mg!!! No, you have not backed up your audio files. that reel-to-reel icon is just your layout for that session. If you delete your files, you have lost all the audio.

Cliff Adams
MasterPeace Sound
Old 10-01-2003, 04:24 PM

Quote:
which isin't going to hold alot, I believe th biggest zip is 250mb or something like that. A 24 track pt session of 4 minutes will be much bigger than that. Get yourself an external drive, something like a Firedock if you have firewire, or even USB, although the USB1.1 is pretty slow, it'll give you some size anyway.

even a DVD burner for a few hundred bucks will be easier and less expensive than the zip.
they make a 750 meg zip, much larger than 250... and just the size for most sessions..

tim
Old 10-08-2003, 11:52 AM

Hands down the best way to backup audio files is to copy them to a firewire backup drive, there are some good ones here: HUSH FireWire hard drives for audio/video