Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2003, 03:10 PM

Default looks like no import feature for PT 6.0 LE

Well I was just looking around the main site and found some of the info for Pro-tools 6.0 and it looks like we won't be able to get the track information import feature that I so badly wanted. Darn it, and just when I was getting happy over the rewire thing comming out, I find out we can't get the track information import feature and lose faith in digi. However there are a few good things we get. Here is the list.
Quote:
Additional Pro Tools LE Features
In version 6.0 software, Pro Tools LE owners can look forward to several new features that were previously available only on Pro Tools TDM systems. Specifically, Pro Tools LE 6.0 supports Command Focus Mode, making a host of powerful editing operations available via single key shortcuts. Pro Tools LE now also includes the Time Compression/Expansion (TC/E) trim tool, making time compressing and expanding regions simpler and faster than ever. Finally, another welcome addition to Pro Tools LE software is support for automatic and manual deactivation of tracks, providing more voice management flexibility and greatly increased session portability between Pro Tools TDM and LE systems.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">It did specifically say the import feature was TDM only. [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 03:28 PM

Default Re: looks like no import feature for PT 6.0 LE

Does the manual and automatic deactivation of tracks mean that we can have more than 32 tracks open, but only 32 will play? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-16-2003, 04:35 PM

I have no Idea what that means
Old 01-16-2003, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Calvin:
I have no Idea what that means
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My inside sources say thats what it means.. I hope they're right. I can't wait to be able to have all the files for one session, in one session instead of two! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I was told originally that it was unlimited tracks, but I guess you can still only play back 32 of them.
Old 01-19-2003, 12:42 AM

The concept around the tracks activation / desactivation is been around in the TDM world from the start. Now in PT 6.0 when you import a session that was created with more then 32 tracks, PT will just desactivate them without removing them from you session. So if you dont need some tracks, just desactivate them and activate the ones you need. Its like working on a old D24 or mix24 system. So Protools LE will work with 32 voices insted of tracks.
Old 01-20-2003, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames08:
Does the manual and automatic deactivation of tracks mean that we can have more than 32 tracks open, but only 32 will play? [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">According to the Digi rep I spoke with at NAMM, PTLE 6.0 (Mac) and PTLE 6.1 (Windows) will allow a maximum of 128 tracks in a session. Only 32 tracks may be active at any time. Should solve a lot of problems.

Another very cool PTLE 6.0 feature is Groove Quantize . Its not exactly the same as the GQ function in Sonar or Cubase but it does include a large number of Groove Templates from Cubase, Logic and MPC that can be applied to your MIDI tracks. One major difference is Cubase allows you to extract a Groove (feel) from your audio tracks and apply that "feel" to your MIDI tracks. The PTLE version only allows you to use pre-existing templates.
Old 01-20-2003, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by B.Ray:
The PTLE version only allows you to use pre-existing templates.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">are you serious? why even bother putting it in? i would imagine that its pretty useless when you don't get to create your own templates... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by da BaSsTaRd!:
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by B.Ray:
The PTLE version only allows you to use pre-existing templates.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">are you serious? why even bother putting it in? i would imagine that its pretty useless when you don't get to create your own templates... [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img] <hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Yeah, I specifically asked the rep about the ability to create templates from audio in your tracks or from CD's and he said "No...that's more along the lines of Beat Detective in TDM".

I agree that this is not the most ideal implementation of GQ but it is a step in the right direction. It looks like new functionality comes to PTLE in small steps. So, while its not the best, I'll take it. The list of included templates is huge so there should be some good ones in there. I didn't count them but it looked like there were over 200 Groove templates in there.

I just got around to watching the NEW PTLE DVD I picked up at NAMM. In it the guy says "You can quantize your MIDI to Groove Templates extracted from real audio". Hmmm. Sounds like one of those Hand Lotion commercials. "...extracted from real aloe...".

So next year, maybe we'll get the ability to create our own templates and then maybe the year after that, we'll be able to apply those templates to our audio tracks. In the mean time, I guess you can do that right now in Sonar.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mjames08:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i'm REALLY pissed that the track attributes import function is TDM only. digidesign, don't you think that the biggest advantage to TDM is the ability to use more than 16 simultaneous I/O? why continue with this pathetic software disparity? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
Old 01-21-2003, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by minimoog:
i'm REALLY pissed that the track attributes import function is TDM only. digidesign, don't you think that the biggest advantage to TDM is the ability to use more than 16 simultaneous I/O? why continue with this pathetic software disparity? [img]images/icons/mad.gif[/img]
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Digi has been responding to our complaints. Witness the additions of Low Latency Monitoring, 32 Tracks and the new features mentioned here in this and other threads. All came as a result of Petitions or a number of user complaints here on the DUC. The message is clear: they listen to our Petitions and complaints. Even though their response may be somewhat slow.

Some DUC members don't like complaining or petitions but its a great tool for the Digi Marketing & Tech departments to use to understand what issues are important to current and future users.

Last year at DigiWorld LA, the VP of Digi Marketing said, while they must maintain a feature gap between TDM and LE, their plan is to migrate certain TDM features to LE over time.

I think what we the users have to do is constantly remind them what new features we want. In other words, help them establish the priority list. Write more Petitions.