How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2024, 07:12 AM

Default Importance of process modules on S6

Hi,

I am considering switching from dock+S1 setup to a really compact custom 16channel S6 configuration. I have not worked with S6 before at all, so I may have some gaps on my knowledge about some spesifics even though I have read a lot and watched a ton of videos. So I'd like to ask couple of things from those of you who have experience with S6 on audio post work.

My goal is to be able to keep everything very close to my mixing position, without ever having to reach too far. This is going to be completely custom frame/installation, and MTM and automation module will be side by side so the display won't get too far, and so that I can keep it pretty flat to not block my main displays. I don't bore you with all the details about the planned setup, but I'd like to ask two things:

1. I am cosidering not buying the process modules at all. My dealer suggested this when we discussed my goals for the setup. He said many don't use them much, and it would be pretty much as convenient to set up automation module so that I can switch knob module parameters from there. Those of you with experience working on S6, could you live without process modules? Do you have workflows that absolutely require the process modules?

2. Instead of having knob modules on top of each channel module, I am considering having just one that is right infront of me on top of the automation module. Idea is that what ever track I attention, will always populate the same knob module right in front of me. Do you see potential problems with this approach?
Old 03-02-2024, 08:44 AM

Default Re: Importance of process modules on S6

Without the process module, you won’t have panning easily accessible for each channel strip like you do now on the S1’s. Not sure how you work, but I’d find this quite annoying. You’d actually have less accessible knob features than your current setup.
Old 03-02-2024, 01:13 PM

How do you choose which function on which channel you want the knob module to be viewing, without the process module? I’m not seeing a way to change what the knob module displays otherwise..
Old 03-02-2024, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
How do you choose which function on which channel you want the knob module to be viewing, without the process module? I’m not seeing a way to change what the knob module displays otherwise..
It would have to be a dedicated attention expand knob zone that populates whatever plugin you had on screen of track attentioned. I don’t think this would be utilizing the S6 to its full potential.
Old 03-03-2024, 09:50 AM
Avid

Sounds like a S4 would be more appropriate?
Old 03-04-2024, 12:36 AM

If you only want to tweak one channel at a time, your approach will work: i.e. Pan on Master Module, Eq & Dyn on dedicated Knob Modules and Sends on Fader Module. But the true Power of the S6 is not about doing one thing at a time, it is more like playing an instruments where everything interacts.

If you are going your approach, just make sure to have enough spare space in your frame for future extensions and buy the Process Module later.
Old 03-04-2024, 09:41 AM

It’s also the cheapest module, and despite how large a console looks in pics, i don’t have any issue reaching my setup with process module above the knob module.. i say just get it.. (or look into S4 as Eddie said)
Old 03-10-2024, 09:25 AM

Thanks all,

I will build my custom frame so that I have space for the process modules if I decide to get them later, but for now I'll go without.

S4 isn't really an option, there are so many stars aligned for this particular S6 deal, and also I really want to have a custom frame to keep MTM and my main displays closer than what is possible with S4 or the standard s6 layout.

Obviously I will lose some functionality without process modules, but the way I like to work the attention expand zones + attention presets seems to be a good fit. So I'll start from here and expand the setup if needed.