Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2014, 05:30 PM

Default Studio Sound Treatment

I will be adding sound treatment to my home studio soon. Thinking about purchasing the "London 10" room kit by Primacusitc for starters. Any suggestions?

Room aprox. (w)12ft (l)13ft (h)9ft
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1390440258.358270.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390440287.911867.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390440305.257436.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1390440328.284063.jpg
Old 01-22-2014, 05:35 PM

Default Re: Studio Sound Treatment

Also...drop ceiling with acustical tiles.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:50 PM

I don't have much experience with Primacoustic but from the specs that I saw for their stuff (unknown to me if it was tested at a certified testing facility or just by them) it should be good. I don't want to scare you so I will warn you right away, the shape of your room is going to cause you a lot of problems that just using flat acoustical panels will not help with.

I have a couple suggestions.

1 Your speakers are really not placed where they should be. You have to have the same distance from the middle of the tweeters (some say from the cone of the tweeters) between the two speakers than you have from your listening position (head) to the tweeters. And the tweeters at ear levels. If they are higher than your ears you should tilt them down toward your ears. The tweeters should also point toward your ears which they are already it's just the spacing that is not good. The way you have them set up right now from what I see in the pictures, they are far to widely spaced and that will skew your stereo specialization.

2 Get your speaker out of the corners. This is literally the worst thing you could do. Placing your speaker too close to the wall in it self will boost the low frequencies, placing them in a corner will boost them even more.

3 if you have the budget, I highly suggest you redesign your room completely! Your room is basically a square shape. And this will make it hell to treat. What you could do is Build within the room a new wall frame (and ceiling too if you wish). The wood itself using 2 x 4 shouldn't be that expensive. Make sure that the walls are not parallel. Keeping the same width (minus the thickness of the new frame) where your production desk is, to becoming smaller at the back of the room (where your e-drum is), You can use Auralex U-boat to float the frame so the vibration does not pass on to the floor and the rest of the house structure (if you are imbedding your monitors into the new structure). Or you can use rubber pucks that you can buy and cut them in half on the length not the thickness, gluing them to the base of the frame. This step of the U-boat (or rubber pucks) is optional really since your room is probably not soundproofed anyways. After that you can use acoustical Roxul (would be better) or regular insulation within the struts of the new frame. Then all you have to do is simply tack on the struts a good fabric with the colors of your choice to hide the new structure behind. If you want you could at the same time build enclosures to set your speakers in within the new wall, but that will require a bit more calculation and spacing the new structure from the old one due to the same reasons I mentioned earlier. So you would maybe loose a foot of length and maybe 2 feet of width where your e-drum is, but you would have a much better mixing room. Not only this will cost about the same (well maybe a little more) to do as buying the Primacoustic kit, it will actually be a hell lot better because you are actually changing the shape of the room, killing flutter echos and standing waves in the process (up to a point for the low frequencies), and absorbing frequencies with the Roxul. In your case because of the shape or your room, adding flat panels will not help much.

Notice the image I'm linking here, the control room is the shape I'm speaking of but inverse. What I'm proposing to you is that you apply this principle to your room but with the widest part at your mixing position and the smaller part at the e-drum position.

The website from which this picture comes is a blissful place of information and the owner (John Sayers) is a really great guy to get information from. They would be able to help you from A to Z there in a new design and for free.

Here's the link to his website.

Wave-T.com
Old 01-23-2014, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
I don't have much experience with Primacoustic but from the specs that I saw for their stuff (unknown to me if it was tested at a certified testing facility or just by them) it should be good. I don't want to scare you so I will warn you right away, the shape of your room is going to cause you a lot of problems that just using flat acoustical panels will not help with.

I have a couple suggestions.

1 Your speakers are really not placed where they should be. You have to have the same distance from the middle of the tweeters (some say from the cone of the tweeters) between the two speakers than you have from your listening position (head) to the tweeters. And the tweeters at ear levels. If they are higher than your ears you should tilt them down toward your ears. The tweeters should also point toward your ears which they are already it's just the spacing that is not good. The way you have them set up right now from what I see in the pictures, they are far to widely spaced and that will skew your stereo specialization.

2 Get your speaker out of the corners. This is literally the worst thing you could do. Placing your speaker too close to the wall in it self will boost the low frequencies, placing them in a corner will boost them even more.

3 if you have the budget, I highly suggest you redesign your room completely! Your room is basically a square shape. And this will make it hell to treat. What you could do is Build within the room a new wall frame (and ceiling too if you wish). The wood itself using 2 x 4 shouldn't be that expensive. Make sure that the walls are not parallel. Keeping the same width (minus the thickness of the new frame) where your production desk is, to becoming smaller at the back of the room (where your e-drum is), You can use Auralex U-boat to float the frame so the vibration does not pass on to the floor and the rest of the house structure (if you are imbedding your monitors into the new structure). Or you can use rubber pucks that you can buy and cut them in half on the length not the thickness, gluing them to the base of the frame. This step of the U-boat (or rubber pucks) is optional really since your room is probably not soundproofed anyways. After that you can use acoustical Roxul (would be better) or regular insulation within the struts of the new frame. Then all you have to do is simply tack on the struts a good fabric with the colors of your choice to hide the new structure behind. If you want you could at the same time build enclosures to set your speakers in within the new wall, but that will require a bit more calculation and spacing the new structure from the old one due to the same reasons I mentioned earlier. So you would maybe loose a foot of length and maybe 2 feet of width where your e-drum is, but you would have a much better mixing room. Not only this will cost about the same (well maybe a little more) to do as buying the Primacoustic kit, it will actually be a hell lot better because you are actually changing the shape of the room, killing flutter echos and standing waves in the process (up to a point for the low frequencies), and absorbing frequencies with the Roxul. In your case because of the shape or your room, adding flat panels will not help much.

Notice the image I'm linking here, the control room is the shape I'm speaking of but inverse. What I'm proposing to you is that you apply this principle to your room but with the widest part at your mixing position and the smaller part at the e-drum position.

The website from which this picture comes is a blissful place of information and the owner (John Sayers) is a really great guy to get information from. They would be able to help you from A to Z there in a new design and for free.

Here's the link to his website.
Thx for replying.

I know it's not clear by the pictures, but the monitors are not in the corners. Plus, I know my monitors aren't positioned just right. That is actually due to my desk, which will get replaced soon. Also the monitors will be going on actual monitor stands.

The Primacoustic kit is just a starting point.

I should also mention that the walls are 5/8 thickness with insulation on all sides.

Thx again.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 PM

That's good but as I said, the shape itself of the room is not conductive to good treatment alone. Can you get your hand on Room EQ wizard and run a test to see what the modes are etc?

Wave-T.com
Old 01-23-2014, 06:09 PM

I' ll try the REW tomorrow when I have time. Keep in mind this is a home studio, therefore I know it's going to be plagued with challenges. I'm just looking for ideas, and will do what I can when I can.

I also have been to the site you posted once before and have seen plenty of designs of rooms on there similar to mine. I believe I can accomplish what I want without constructing another room with in my room.

Thx again for your input.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dre2580 View Post
I' ll try the REW tomorrow when I have time. Keep in mind this is a home studio, therefore I know it's going to be plagued with challenges. I'm just looking for ideas, and will do what I can when I can.

I also have been to the site you posted once before and have seen plenty of designs of rooms on there similar to mine. I believe I can accomplish what I want without constructing another room with in my room.

Thx again for your input.
Well I'm not saying it's not possible but it's going to be harder that's for sure. And yes I know it's a home studio Once we have a better idea of your room modes, well be able to see what we can do :)

Wave-T.com
Old 01-24-2014, 07:21 AM

Ran Test….hope this is what your are looking for….not really understanding software.

Tested at each volume level on monitor output on saffire pro 14
Attached Images
File Type: jpg measure vol 1.jpg (92.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 2.jpg (91.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 3.jpg (90.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 4.jpg (89.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 5.jpg (90.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-24-2014, 07:22 AM

remaining shots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg measure vol 6.jpg (89.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 7.jpg (89.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 8.jpg (88.8 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 9.jpg (88.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg measure vol 10.jpg (89.8 KB, 0 views)