Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2010, 12:16 PM

Smile PT 9 I/O setup import/export/ bug? feature??

Not sure if anybody else is having the same issues that I am having with the I/O setup in PT9, but it seems to be acting very differently than I remember from PT8. We switch I/O setups regularly as we do a lot of post and a lot of music, and I like to keep everything labelled well for each to make routing and bussing easy within the different sessions.
I finally had time to setup some new I/O setups in our studio yesterday after upgrading a couple weeks ago. When importing the i/o setup into a blank session, or a previous session, it appears to only import the settings for the page that you are on i.e. input, output, bussing etc. I do not remember PT8 behaving this way. (PT 8.1 may have, but I didn't have time to check it out as I was only on it for a few weeks and made due) So, to "import" the whole setup, you have to change which "page" your on and import the i/o setup again and again. Very frustrating! This is completely repeatable. After a few frustrating sessions, and trying to figure out what was going on, I've had some time to play with it, and this is what I have found.
Also, I haven't been able to figure out the sequence, but after changing i/o setups somehow, when creating a new session from a saved i/o setup, some of the outputs will be listed as "n/a" in the i/o setup in the new blank session! After this has happened, I have to reassign (the exact same labelled outputs to the buses) and "re-export" the settings so that next time it works properly.
Is it just me?? but this seems awefully wrong and confusing not to mention time consuming!
Digi, if this is a new "feature" on how to import i/o setups, is there any way to change it back??!!
Thanks,
Chris James
Old 12-12-2010, 07:30 PM

Default Re: PT 9 I/O setup import/export/ bug? feature??

Has no one else encountered this problem?? I find that hard to believe. Digi tech support, can you confirm this as a bug or a "new feature" please.
Thanks....
Old 12-13-2010, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP Studios View Post
When importing the i/o setup into a blank session, or a previous session, it appears to only import the settings for the page that you are on i.e. input, output, bussing etc. I do not remember PT8 behaving this way. (PT 8.1 may have, but I didn't have time to check it out as I was only on it for a few weeks and made due) So, to "import" the whole setup, you have to change which "page" your on and import the i/o setup again and again. Very frustrating! This is completely repeatable. ??!!
Thanks,
Chris James
This is how it works now.. Solution for you..IF you hold down the "option/alt" key when importing that page it will import them all.

The manual has all of this around pages 94ish and 112ish. Make sure you are reading the PT9 manual as these are all new "features". They are fairly confusing until you get used to them,..ff
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM

Post Re: PT 9 I/O setup import/export/ bug? feature??

Thanks FormFunction! Seems really weird to me why they would do this as if you only import part of it, it messes up your whole bussing etc. and you have to remap everything; but, I guess someone must have asked for that "feature" and Digi through it in without telling anyone. Very frustrating and time consuming! I wish there was more documentation on "major changes" that Digi would send along with each new release so that we could skim through it for important changes as I don't need to ( or want to) read the whole manual again every time!
Old 12-13-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMP Studios View Post
I wish there was more documentation on "major changes" that Digi would send along with each new release so that we could skim through it for important changes as I don't need to ( or want to) read the whole manual again every time!
Actually they do... in their "What's new in Pro Tools 8.xxx" pdf.

And here is a good tutorial on the new I/O setup

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor..._v81_67827.pdf

enjoy.. ff
Old 07-01-2011, 10:45 AM

The PT 9 IO is the most Non-user friendly change Avid has ever hit us with. Obviously the person that designed that portion of the upgrade has NEVER worked in a recording facility or post house. Every session I move from one room to another is giant arse ache!

I hope they hear our cries to go back to an IO template that is user friendly!

Ps.
I designed and built and installed Odds On recording in Las Vegas, as well as the original install on The Killers' studio "Battleborn" plus numerous setups of HD rigs in Las Vegas....
So I know how things should work! In fact ask Ron St. Germain! He recently did what I am being forced to do... SWITCH TO LOGIC!
Old 07-01-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadtstudiohuru View Post
.. SWITCH TO LOGIC!
I feel your pain and am still finding ways of working with the new system, haven't given up yet.

As for switching to Logic? Yeah, good luck with that. (see FCPX)

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 07-01-2011, 03:46 PM

yeah. it's a huge terrible mess. check out this thread. no updates seem to fix it. it's the worst.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ight=ryandcole
Old 07-01-2011, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryandcole View Post
yeah. it's a huge terrible mess. check out this thread. no updates seem to fix it. it's the worst.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...ight=ryandcole
The last post in the thread you referenced contained this:

No "Session Overwrites current I/O setup when opened" is not checked.

If you don't know exactly how that checkbox works you may well be creating your own problems.

Once again, it comes down to RTFM...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh