Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Default Pt 8 (hd) omf import pops on avid created fades

Dear Digi

I don't know what has changed between PT 5-7.x to PT 8 HD, but now - importing the Avid generated OMF's I am getting pops on their tracks. NATURALLY THIS NEVER HAPPENED BEFORE

It seems that the pops are coming from the avid created fades which PT has always recreated pretty flawlessly.

If you'd like one of these omfs lemme know. It's pretty consistent thus far.

P.S. REQUESTS

REMEMBER when the user use to have a choice on where to put the OMF imported material? I'd LOVE that option to re-occur so that I can keep my OMF audio in a separate folder....

AND OMF EXPORT - when you select AVID and EMBEDDED you really should NOT have to select 16 bit, it should be the default as the avid ONLY reads 16 bit.

anyway - running on the intel mac pro. hd 8 cs 2. not quite the latest os, but digi approved osx. prefs are 'clean' databases trashed, all the usual suspects checked.

It would be AWESOME to have a conversation with the department that handles OMF / file translation and not a Digi Tech who hasn't ever used OMF import. PLEASE DON'T TAKE THAT PERSONAL.

Many Thanks

scott
Old 06-03-2009, 07:57 AM

Default Re: Pt 8 (hd) omf import pops on avid created fades

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlworld View Post
AND OMF EXPORT - when you select AVID and EMBEDDED you really should NOT have to select 16 bit, it should be the default as the avid ONLY reads 16 bit.
I don´t have a solution for your other issue but what I quoted isn´t true (at least for PT7.4). AVID has been reading and exporting 24bit just fine for years unless your editor is using some legacy version/hardware. 24bit is fine and we have been using 24bit workflows from field recorder to final mix for years now.

I prefer and mostly use referenced OMF/AAF but embedded should work wth 24bit as well.

frank.
Old 06-04-2009, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Kruse View Post
I don´t have a solution for your other issue but what I quoted isn´t true (at least for PT7.4). AVID has been reading and exporting 24bit just fine for years unless your editor is using some legacy version/hardware. 24bit is fine and we have been using 24bit workflows from field recorder to final mix for years now.

I prefer and mostly use referenced OMF/AAF but embedded should work wth 24bit as well.

frank.
Frank,

I had NO idea about the 24 bit. I don't know where you are working, but most Hollywood film setups... well i shouldn't say most. MANY are still running OS 9!

Thank you though.

FRANK - one last question. Have you EVER been successful in SENDING an OMF that doesn't contain the 'sample' accurate edits? Even if I test this by highlighting an edited OMF region FROM THE AVID in my PT Session (in other words on their frame lines) and create a bounced region..... When I export that region as an OMF, I still get - THEY STILL GET the sample accurate edits. Some Avid asistants are driven nuts by them. (They are no big deal) I can never seem to get rid of them. Just curious.

Thanks again.

Last edited by smlworld; 06-04-2009 at 08:03 AM. Reason: cause i'm an editor
Old 06-04-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlworld View Post
Frank,

I had NO idea about the 24 bit. I don't know where you are working, but most Hollywood film setups... well i shouldn't say most. MANY are still running OS 9!

Thank you though.

FRANK - one last question. Have you EVER been successful in SENDING an OMF that doesn't contain the 'sample' accurate edits? Even if I test this by highlighting an edited OMF region FROM THE AVID in my PT Session (in other words on their frame lines) and create a bounced region..... When I export that region as an OMF, I still get - THEY STILL GET the sample accurate edits. Some Avid asistants are driven nuts by them. (They are no big deal) I can never seem to get rid of them. Just curious.

Thanks again.
No more OS9 rigs in my hemisphere. Luckily

Not sure if I understand what you´re saying about "sample accurate edits".
There is no way NOT to select "quantize to frame boundaries" and OMF/AAF back into the AVID because the AVID does not support sample-accurate editing. You have to select this otherwise your OMF won´t open in the AVID. PT will then add some empty audio up to the next full frame boundary. Your content will still be sample-accurate but the actual clip will start on full frames.

frank.