Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Pro Tools
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2022, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools Studio 2022.9 problems. Please help me

Thanks again for your reply bro.
Honestly I don't understand how to use the hardware as an insert... :confuso:

If I connect, for example, a mono gear to channel 1 of the Lucid i.e. Adat 1 (out of the gear ---> in 1 Lucid and in of the gear - > out 1 Lucid), how do I In Pro Tools create an insert?
Into insert menus (of I/O Setup) I have to place the "small square" M in the matrix (see attached photo). Ok, but where?
Sorry, maybe that's a trivial question, but I just don't know how to do it...
But it would actually be very convenient for me.

Avid responded to my request like this:
May I please know if under Options you have Delay Compensation enabled and Low Latency Monitoring disabled ?
Please double check the next steps to calculate the Hardware Insert Delay to be set on I/O Setup:
https://avid.secure.force.com/pkb/ar...e-Insert-Delay
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb5I...annel=MixbusTv ( as this video explains if you change to a session with different sample rate you may have to recalculate, also please, disable Ignore errors during playback/record on the Playback Engine window)
Please let us know how everything goes or if the issue persists (you can attach screenshots and video to your response if its helpful for demonstration)

I was hoping for better help, but ....

Now I try to create an insert on the analog ports of the Audient and see what happens.
Meanwhile, I made a small video with the phone (I apologize for the bad quality) from which I show the problem more clearly, using a kick sample. You can download it here: https://we.tl/t-WavpkkP2mS

Thanks again for the help, I hope to find a solution
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PT Matrice.jpg (46.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-19-2022, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
So here you could pair up say I/O Port 10 as an insert. That's ADAT 6 Input and ADAT 2 Output if I'm reading your I/O pages correct. It shows up in the I/O > Inserts as "Insert 10".
I'm trying to understand: so let's assume I want to use "insert 11" as an insert. I see, into I/O Setup, this corresponds to:
Input 15
Output 23

If I understand correctly, input 15 corresponds to analog input 3 of the second Lucid unit, while the output 23 corresponds to the analogue output 7 of the second Lucid unit, correct?

So I would have to physically connect the gear between the Lucid's input 3 and output 7, right?
If so, i guess it needs a patchbay, otherwise i would have to continually plug and unplug the cables...
Old 10-19-2022, 07:18 AM

Ok, I did some tests and yes, I can connect an input and an output of different numbers (for example in 6 and out 2) BUT I lose 4 mono insert points (having 24 total outputs and 20 total inputs).
So the last gear that I could use in insert, would be "insert 20", connecting the input 8 and the output 4 of the second Lucid ("losing" 4 outputs of the converter).

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-19-2022, 02:25 PM

OK so you have the hardware insert working? If not a hardware insert is added the same way as a software insert (i.e. plugin) but selected the insert>I/O menu. If you are unsure on any of this, it's all well described in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.

As for "losing I/O"... it's still there. If you really need to you can use interface built-in analog I/O or even a combination of interface built-in analog I/O and the ADAT I/O to do inserts. But presumably you want to use some I/O for actual inputs and outputs not just H/W inserts.

So is it working now? No problems? You've measured the actual latency and corrected for the negative offset by entering a negative value in the delay comp +/- field.

Did you confirm latency is exactly corrected for if using the ID44 analog I/O for inserts.

And Pro Tools support is asking about if you are using LLM because they are thinking about something else going on... which is a bug in delay compensation with hardware inserts that happen only if you use LLM and also have a software plugin following a H/W insert. I and others have reported that bug, but support seem a little lost with it. If you are affected by this it will throw off delay compensation by 2 x 1024 or 2 x 2048 samples (for higher sample rates). Which is 2 x the high-latency domain aka disk buffer size used by Pro Tools depending on the session sample rate. And you are not close to that huge offset. Don't worry about this for what you are doing.
Old 10-20-2022, 12:04 AM

Quote:
OK so you have the hardware insert working? If not a hardware insert is added the same way as a software insert (i.e. plugin) but selected the insert>I/O menu. If you are unsure on any of this, it's all well described in the Pro Tools Reference Guide.
Of course, works well. But the latency is the same like using send

Quote:
As for "losing I/O"... it's still there. If you really need to you can use interface built-in analog I/O or even a combination of interface built-in analog I/O and the ADAT I/O to do inserts. But presumably you want to use some I/O for actual inputs and outputs not just H/W inserts.
Exactly. my idea is to use two Lucid to keep the gears connected (like a kind of patchbay) while the Audient is meant to do something else (different monitoring).

Quote:
So is it working now? No problems? You've measured the actual latency and corrected for the negative offset by entering a negative value in the delay comp +/- field.

Did you confirm latency is exactly corrected for if using the ID44 analog I/O for inserts.
Unfortunately I could not test with the Audient inputs and outputs but only with the Lucid. There continues to be latency when using gear in insert, as in send. And entering a (negative or positive, is the same) value in the delay comp +/- field, not works.... Bug?

Quote:
And Pro Tools support is asking about if you are using LLM because they are thinking about something else going on... which is a bug in delay compensation with hardware inserts that happen only if you use LLM and also have a software plugin following a H/W insert. I and others have reported that bug, but support seem a little lost with it. If you are affected by this it will throw off delay compensation by 2 x 1024 or 2 x 2048 samples (for higher sample rates). Which is 2 x the high-latency domain aka disk buffer size used by Pro Tools depending on the session sample rate. And you are not close to that huge offset. Don't worry about this for what you are doing.
I don't know, but I still get disappointed with pro tools (too many problems everytime) and I am getting closer and closer to cubase...

Thanks for your help bro!

Last edited by Simonluka; 10-20-2022 at 12:36 AM.
Old 10-20-2022, 01:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonluka View Post
Of course, works well. But the latency is the same like using send
Yes but now you are at least doing things the "right way" and using inserts. That is a more flexible and often easier workflow for a lot of stuff and anybody else working with your session or helping you will understand what is going on, even more so if say you give inserts nice I/O labels.

Your initial complaint was phasing, hopefully you have this fully solved. If not you should be able to measure the latency using clicks though your ADAT inserts and adjust that (33 sampels or so?) and cure any phasing. One measurement made at the sample rate you work at (with latency comp enabled when you make the measurement) and that should apply to all inserts using those ADAT boxes. It literally should take a few minutes to do.

Yes Pro Tools really needs several improvements and at least one bug fix (the LLM one) with hardware inserts, but if you know what you are doing it can work.
Old 10-20-2022, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Yes but now you are at least doing things the "right way" and using inserts. That is a more flexible and often easier workflow for a lot of stuff and anybody else working with your session or helping you will understand what is going on, even more so if say you give inserts nice I/O labels.

Your initial complaint was phasing, hopefully you have this fully solved. If not you should be able to measure the latency using clicks though your ADAT inserts and adjust that (33 sampels or so?) and cure any phasing. One measurement made at the sample rate you work at (with latency comp enabled when you make the measurement) and that should apply to all inserts using those ADAT boxes. It literally should take a few minutes to do.

Yes Pro Tools really needs several improvements and at least one bug fix (the LLM one) with hardware inserts, but if you know what you are doing it can work.
Thanks bro, you have been very kind