Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2016, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Just paid my yearly upgrade PT fee, feeling ill...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscomposer View Post
Can you elaborate on this? If you could compare it to Reaper, the only other DAW I'm familiar with and still use on occasion, that'd be great. But any comparison would be cool.
It was introduced in PT 7.4 and hasn't been improved ever since. It is the modus operandi of Avid apparently; to implement something only to let it be like MIDI which as of today's standards is ridiculous.

My friend is using Logic for Elastic stuff and likes it a lot more than PT. Sad but true.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:40 AM

Using Elastic Audio on most sources produces all manner of warbling artifacts and other unpleasant surprises. Logic's Flex Time is much better. I don't know anything about Reaper.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWillhelm View Post
But you stlll paid the money. That's how/why they do it.
Exactly! That sends a message to them. I let my upgrade subscription end. I may get back in if things get better but right now I'm really liking Studios one 3.

Last edited by zion; 08-27-2016 at 04:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
It was introduced in PT 7.4 and hasn't been improved ever since. It is the modus operandi of Avid apparently; to implement something only to let it be like MIDI which as of today's standards is ridiculous.

My friend is using Logic for Elastic stuff and likes it a lot more than PT. Sad but true.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeOtherGuy View Post
Using Elastic Audio on most sources produces all manner of warbling artifacts and other unpleasant surprises. Logic's Flex Time is much better. I don't know anything about Reaper.
That's not been my experience. With monophonic, real-time processing, I do occasionally get artifacts on certain sources, but switching to x-form/rendered seems to fix it. I don't have Logic, but trying Flex Time in Garage Band gave me far more pronounced garbage. Even with small adjustment, sounds like the vocalist is blowing bubbles under water with a chorus effect. lol Am I doing it wrong? Are there some quality settings buried somewhere?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 AM

I'm referring to Flex Time in Logic, not Garageband. There's no way with Elastic Audio/X-Form to quantize slight timing variations in a polyphonic audio acoustic piano or marimba track without a lot of artifacts. Doing these corrections with Logic's Flex Time for these two particularly difficult audio sources produce much better results than all the options in Pro Tools.
Old 08-24-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I'm referring to Flex Time in Logic, not Garageband. There's no way with Elastic Audio/X-Form to quantize slight timing variations in a polyphonic audio acoustic piano or marimba track without a lot of artifacts. Doing these corrections with Logic's Flex Time for these two particularly difficult audio sources produce much better results than all the options in Pro Tools.
I just used elastic audio to nudge a couple Horowitz and Lang Lang performances of Chopin and I have no idea what you're talking about. For slight nudges, polyphonic worked fine. For bolder stretches I had to use x-form to avoid warbling. Either way, it's reckless to make absolute proclamations like "there's no way."
Old 08-24-2016, 03:10 PM

So you slightly nudged some random Lang Lang piano, but were you quantizing it to a fixed tempo? To a click track? Lang Lang and Horowitz never record to a click track so how would you have done this? I'm not talking about speeding things up or down a little, or moving some random warp markers.

I've been working with Elastic Audio and X-Form on piano tracks, marimba tracks, vibraphone, etc., for 4 years. I know it inside and out. I've also worked with Logic's Flex Time for over 4 years, and I can tell you it's in a different league. That's not a reckless statement, sorry, but your statement may be reckless, if you are coming to your conclusion based on the nudging of a few Lang Lang piano recordings. If you record polyphonic piano audio to fixed click and then try to quantize the audio, good luck with Elastic Audio. Flex Time is also not perfect, but it's a lot better. I stand by my original statement 100%. Quantizing using Melodyne within Pro Tools, however time-consuming it may be, is also way better.

Last edited by SomeOtherGuy; 08-24-2016 at 04:19 PM.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
So you slightly nudged some random Lang Lang piano, but were you quantizing it to a fixed tempo? To a click track? Lang Lang and Horowitz never record to a click track so how would you have done this? I'm not talking about speeding things up or down a little, or moving some random warp markers.

I've been working with Elastic Audio and X-Form on piano tracks, marimba tracks, vibraphone, etc., for 4 years. I know it inside and out. I've also worked with Logic's Flex Time for over 4 years, and I can tell you it's in a different league. That's not a reckless statement, sorry, but your statement may be reckless, if you are coming to your conclusion based on the nudging of a few Lang Lang piano recordings. If you record polyphonic piano audio to fixed click and then try to quantize the audio, good luck with Elastic Audio. Flex Time is also not perfect, but it's a lot better. I stand by my original statement 100%. Quantizing using Melodyne within Pro Tools, however time-consuming it may be, is also way better.
You made an absolute, sweeping claim based on personal experience. My "conclusion" was just skepticism. I tried quantizing some acoustic guitar I recorded to a click, and it came out better in Garageband. Quantizing vocal harmonies came out better in PT; the quantization itself was hit or miss in both, but the vocal quality was more transparent in PT. When it comes to stretching voice (or soloing one of the harmonies after quantizing), GB is still giving me the underwater chorus effect even on small stretches, while PT is much cleaner. Can you (or someone) post an example of stretching a vocal in Logic? Could be just 1 sustained vowel lengthened, or a whole phrase stretched out. The videos I'm seeing on youtube are all about pitch correction or quantization. That's not what I'm trying to do on vocals.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 PM

Try searching for "Time stretching" audio/vocals in logic.

I think thats what you are after, if not then sorry for butting in

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 08-24-2016, 10:34 PM

X-Form+1
On the OP, I let my subscription run out. I had HD, which I never asked for! They wanted to 299 to downgrade to vanilla, then I would pay 99 per year. I just don't have the spare coin.
Apogee Mini-Me firewire.