Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2009, 09:11 AM

Default Re: Weird protools 8 issue with hard drives

I cannot recommend these 'videos' highly enough. Browser relinking is covered and all prefs are discussed in detail. As a long time PT user (back to SD2) I really appreciate Kenny's command of Pro Tools.

http://www.groove3.com/str/pro-tools...nd-tricks.html
Old 05-19-2009, 10:02 AM
Avid

Quote:
please do not say that just because you or anyone you know has never seen an issue with pro tools that it cannot happen
I never made that claim. I can only go from 15+ years of experience and seeing the systems of several people who claimed this was happening. The devil is always in the details - in one case the user had switched drive names and then switched them back. Another one had cloned his drives as a backup and had inadvertently chosen the clone to store his session.

If there's some way we can get a concrete example of this occurring outside of user error, obviously we'd want to get it fixed. I've tried personally to make this occur on several occasions, replicating customer setups as closely as possible, but without success. If you see this occur, please note everything about the current state of your system, plus anything prior to the incident that you can recall, even if it seems irrelevant.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:16 AM

i had an issue like this over the weekend

and i thought i had lost my guitarist's overdubs because they weren't on the drive i was using and i had not noticed that my back up drive was online during the session and some of my templates tracks were still allocated to the BU drive because it used to be my internal

i recently purchased a terra drive and now that's inside

i was lucky that the session at least put the new info in fresh rogue folders-- probably because the old backup sessions were in a project folder of their own...otherwise i would have been hosed because i had dragged and dropped to the BU drive in that projecl folder when backing up.

i usually manually back up the files by date and the fade files and the old sessions and backup sessions as well as the audio

but as you guys know sometimes when you are tired or distracted...you do a walk away and ....

hmmmm that could have been a disaster.

i feel very lucky cuz i had already called the client to tell him i had lost the files...then...miraculously i found them in those new rogue folders....and i named that a blessing immediately.

i must admit it was a nice distraction away from my PT8PE ansst.

Old 05-19-2009, 11:35 AM

So any ideas? I'm curious about this as well.
While we're on the topic of templates being the possible culprit, if I open a template and create a new session from drive A,
then save it to drive B, and change the disk allocation to drive B, is this problem going to happen?
Old 05-19-2009, 11:54 AM

This weirdness also happened to me. I noticed that my sessions were gradually taking longer to process fades and audiosuite edits.
Come to find out, my main system drive had some of the fade/audio files on it. I checked the disk allocation and sure enough, some files were being written on my system drive and some on my original 7200 rpm external drive!
No idea when it started to do that since I hadn't made any changes to prefs or to external drives... just snuck up on me!
But ever since this problem my edits have been to a grind claiming that my my hard drive isn't fast enough, etc. even after correcting the disk allocation issue.
So guys, you are not alone on this.

PPC G5 2.7 dual/ 6.5 GB ram/ OS 10.5.5
PT 8.0cs2
Old 05-20-2009, 11:32 AM
Avid

For us to make any kind of real traction on this, we're going to need details about the history of a session -

Which drive it was created on?
How was the session created (File>New Session, from a template, etc)
Are you using the File>New Session>From a Template function, or opening a Pro Tools Session file (by double clicking or otherwise) as your template?
Did you use any custom disk allocation at any point
Was round robin ever enabled?
If you moved the session at any point how did you do it (drag and drop, backup utility, etc)?
Did you ever use Save Copy In to make a copy of the session and, if so, did you copy all audio files? Which drive did you save it to?
Is the preference to automatically import audio to the audio files folder enabled or disabled?

The more detail you can give, the easier it will be to determine what may be going wrong.
Old 04-30-2010, 04:59 AM

I've been talking with 3 colleagues of mine who has, like me, experienced this very problem*.
To be excact, it have occured with sessions that were made in one place, then moved (Finder, drag-and-drop) to another computer. Then, what you record/consolidate/audiosuite from this place will be put in another available harddiscs, sometimes the internal, sometimes the external. A session folder will be made in the root with the new audio files and fade files only.
Obviusly when you move the session, files will be missing.

They were all originally made in PT HD 7.3 (new, not templates), but problems occured long after it was opened/saved with PT HD 8.0
No changes was made in the Disc Allocation, and all links appeared fine refering to the right folder.
It doesn't necessarily occur again within a troubled session.
Save Copy In was not used.

I know this might create a confusion, but like one wrote earlier in this thread, in the last 2-3 years using PT HD 7.3 i've had this problem maybe 5 times (with same kind of random choice harddisc allocation). Knowing the system very well, I think we are talking about a bug getting bigger with version 8.0.

Maybe the name of this thread should be more like "missing files" or something?

*PT HD 8.0.3cs1,OSX 10.6.2 on 2.66 GHz dual-core Intel Xeon G5-computers.

Last edited by timragnur; 04-30-2010 at 09:38 AM. Reason: added technical details
Old 04-30-2010, 08:37 AM

Change every drive you don't need in the session to 'T'.

That solves the Disk Allocatin weirdness.
Old 04-30-2010, 10:06 AM

I just want to chime in here too and say I have had this problem before as well. I have also had on many occassions, fade files that will regenerate in their 'original' location where they were first built, even though I have all my tracks set properly in Disk Allocation. Like, if I delete all my fades, then relaunch the session, a bunch of the fades will still redraw on the wrong drive.

The only solution I found in those cases was to quit PT, take that drive off-line, delete all fades and open the session. When PT can't find that drive it wants, then it would seem to follow disk allocation properly.

I have also had the very wonky issue with PT8 where upon importing session data, tracks, and telling PT to 'copy' the audio, that PT will get some random part of the way through, and then just 'reference' the rest of them. If you aren't watching the progress bar, and don't see it 'jump' to the end, you would have never known. As far as I know, this is still present in PT8.03cs2. I now have to check upon every import that PT copied the audio. About 1 in 5 times, it will copy 'some' and reference the rest. It's a disastrous bug that really screwed me several times until I realized what was going on.

Save Copy In does seem to work, I haven't had it miss any files so far. But importing session data seems still buggy.

Just posting because maybe these are all somehow related.