Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2008, 06:00 AM

Default Re: Problem: Stylus RMX drag 'n' drop access violation

You know it is definitely a bug in RMX and I think something to do with Leopard rather than PT.

For some reason pro tools sees something wrong and throws up the Access violation error.
But when I did an experiment in Garageband using the RMX AU version although Garageband did not throw up any error neither did it allow me to drag a midi file out of RMX into the track as it should. Neither could it drag to the desktop. I don't have PT running at all at the moment and the same issue.

I will post back when I get something back from Spectrasonics which I figure will be at least 24 hours away. Hopefully not much longer.

Cheers
Old 10-30-2008, 05:33 AM

Smile Re: Problem: Stylus RMX drag 'n' drop access violation

Okay,

Good news is this was resolved.

Spectrasonics gave me some ideas about permissions needing to be set for my user name in the main drive.
I followed this instruction assuming this was needed at the top level of the mac main drive. I did this and then selected to add permission to all sub folders in the drive. Bad move. Next restart the system crashed and would not boot up at all.
I rebuilt the drive from my time machine backup and started looking for the answer to the problem again.

Anyway assuming it was still an authorization error I found another post elsewhere and I found that it needed my user read and write permission to be added to the user>Library>Application Support>Spectrasonics folder only. Once this was done it worked.

A painful journey which could have been better with some more accurate advice from Spectrasonics but hey I am happy anyway as its fixed. I hope this helps anyone else having the problem.

Cheers
Old 10-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Avid

Quote:
Anyway assuming it was still an authorization error I found another post elsewhere and I found that it needed my user read and write permission to be added to the user>Library>Application Support>Spectrasonics folder only. Once this was done it worked.
So, it had to be the Spectrasonics folder as well? I only ask because I had asked about the SAGE folder earlier in this thread...
Old 10-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Yes definitely the spectrasonics folder. I already tried the Sage folder authorisation folder a while back. Once my name was added to the folder with Read Write access it was okay.
I think I made sure it applied to all subfolders in there also when I added the change.

I

Cheers
Old 10-30-2008, 04:20 PM

Yes definitely the spectrasonics folder. I already tried the Sage folder permissions a while back. Once my name was added to the spectrasonics folder with Read Write access it was okay.
I think I made sure it applied to all subfolders in there also when I added the change.

I think their policy of providing user specific access means the application is loaded into the user library rather than the root library folder of the mac drive which would then give all users access. If user permissions are a little out (which could be caused by anything over the life of using the system) then the problem arises.

Possibly if I had restored the whole Mac OS from scratch using the standard installer and then installed RMX it would have also fixed it but you can imagine that was going to be my very last option to try.

Cheers
Old 11-15-2008, 08:57 AM

Can you please be much more specific in fixing this issue.

I checked permissions. I don't understand the sub folder thing.

anyway,

thanks
Old 11-17-2008, 06:16 PM

You have to make sure that the user name that you use to log into your mac with appears in the permissions list for both the "Spectrasonics" folder that you installed RMX into as well as the "Sage" folder inside it. The permission for your user name must be set to "read and write".

You find these folders in your mac at "user">Library>Applications Support> Spectrasonics>Sage.

As mentioned it's the last 2 folders that need the permissions added and it should work ok.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:35 PM

Hi

Yeah, i checked and double checked the permissions. Nada.

my user name is "Pro" named after the machine, not me....

and it is READ / Write enabled.

You mentioned something about sub folders. I have never seen a choice in the permissions dialog box. Did you mean, just check every folder inside of the Sage folder to make sure?

aha - I just found a little "Do you want to apply... to all. and did that.

BUT - that didn't work either. I'm flummoxed.

I really appreciate the help. I'm double checking to see if I'm running the cs2 update. I may not be.... I'll check and post....

again. THANKS

Yeah. I wasn't running cs2. But it still won't work. What's interesting... after applying all to the permissions. now I have to click 3 times to get rid of the access violation dialog box. So... something happened. and it certainly appears that the permissions update did some messing around..... But no go.

hmmmm.

is it possible you could send me a screenshot of your get into SAGE and Spectrasonic folder?

[email protected]

thanks again.

scott

Last edited by smlworld; 11-17-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-17-2008, 06:48 PM

Have you asked Spectrasonics for help? They usually respond regularly.

That sub folder check that you did is okay for the spectrasonics folder but whatever you do don't do it for the main drive.
The Spectrasonics team told me to add my name and read write permission to the main mac drive permission at the top drive level.
When that didn't fix the problem I then checked that "apply to sub folder" box and the system started updating every file on my drive.
After that finished and I restarted the machine it would not reboot at all and just kept restarting over and over.
I had to basically restore the whole mac system from my Time Machine backups to get the machine back to normal.

One thing is that I do have my name on the mac drive permission and also with read write access. You may want to check that is there also without checking the sub folder thing of course.

I am also wondering whether you have the content installed elsewhere than the main drive. If you do the sage folder is only an alias folder that points to the real sage folder in the other drive. If thats the case you may need to go to the other drive and update the actual sage folder that the alias is pointing to.

Good luck with it.

Cheers
Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 PM

yes I do run the samples from a seperate drive and checked the permissions.

I've written Spectrasonics.

so ... wait and see.

I believe I had to do a restart adter updating to cs... so the computer re-booted okay.