Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 04-12-2010, 01:23 PM

Exclamation Mixing and mastering

Hi

I`ve made some song that needs to get Mixed and Mastered.

So I`ve searched online and found that most places takes about 200 to 250 us dollars per track, which is too expensive for me.

I know it isn`t expensive, but when I have about 20 tracks over the next couple of years...it`s too expensive....

Do you know any other places that are cheeper but still good
or is this the price range I can expect?

thanks
Old 04-13-2010, 03:56 AM

Default Re: Mixing and mastering

Oh yeah - anything cheaper than that and I wouldn't consider them to be professionals with a professional studio. If you're gonna pay for it, you'd want a professional to mix it - and you'd want him to put an effort into it.

IMO don't mix all 20 songs. Have one song mixed, and see if you think it's worth it. If the result really gets that much better, you'll save up the cash to get the next one mixed and so on...

Best of luck to you.
0153 Oslo
Norway
http://www.das hit.no
trond@das hit.no
Old 04-16-2010, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegenni View Post
Hi

I`ve made some song that needs to get Mixed and Mastered.

So I`ve searched online and found that most places takes about 200 to 250 us dollars per track, which is too expensive for me.

I know it isn`t expensive, but when I have about 20 tracks over the next couple of years...it`s too expensive....

Do you know any other places that are cheeper but still good
or is this the price range I can expect?

thanks
I'm not even gonna shamelessly plug for mix engineers hear, which is like my civil and professional duty to do..BUT I will say this.

If $200 is too much for you to spend to get a track mixed, then it is still a hobby, and you should try to find other hobbyists on these forums or elsewhere who will give it a shot for free. (Trust me there are plenty out there)

But I still think (with my musician cap on) that is a small price to pay per track. Where I work, $200 doesn't even get you in the door for a mix so that is a VERY decent price.

Another way to look at it...20x200 = $4000 over the next COUPLE years. You will likely spend more than that on beer.

Now lets say you only pay $100 a song ($2000 total) and you actually want to start taking this thing seriously and now need to get a closer to professional mix..you now go back and pay $200 per song which brings your total up to $6000 including the first set you got done.

Kinda like buying equipment..better to save up for something reliable once, than buy s^%! 6 times.

But back to your original statement, you can always check out homerecording or a similar site to find ppl who will mix a track for free or next to nothing
Old 04-17-2010, 06:37 AM

teratai capung studio located in gianyar bali
protools le 803cs2
digi003
reaper
ableton
reason
vst to rtas
wave lab 5
ready for mix and mastering and if necessary holiday in island of god - bali
price - donation
portofolio- www.reverbnation.com/banjarterataicapung
Old 04-17-2010, 08:43 PM

What kind of music is it you're wanting mixed? I may be able to help you out. PM me...
Old 04-17-2010, 08:48 PM

I'm REALLY hoping he meant $200-250 for mastering & not mixing... He couldn't hav meant that...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-19-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keybeeetsss View Post
I'm REALLY hoping he meant $200-250 for mastering & not mixing... He couldn't hav meant that...
he actually said MIX and MASTER..$200-$250.....
Old 04-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themadarchitect View Post
he actually said MIX and MASTER..$200-$250.....

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 04-19-2010, 10:05 AM

Don't put all your tracks out at once. Get your top 3 together or even your best single track. Pay the money to get it done professionally. (which believe it or not a lot of pros can get mixes done quick and affordable for a decent price). Find out who mixed some of the songs you like that are similar to yours and contact them. Artists always act scared to contact people. (News flash! most engineers are very normal people that probably drink the same kind of beer you do) You will know they are interested by the price they give you. If they are all to much $ then get it done for free. If the song is a true hit then it will stand on its own. There are lots of songs out there that sound like utter crap but sell a ton.
When you get it back sell it for a buck at your shows. ( you really don't need fancy presentation )( if you can't afford to do CD's then give everyone that buys a ticket to your show a free download of your single ) Save every penny you make from it and use that to reinvest in the project. If your one hit can't pay for the rest then you'll know you need to maybe work on the songwriting and come up with a new strategy for your "hits".

Good luck man!
Old 04-19-2010, 10:37 PM

Hmmmmm