Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-27-2002, 03:35 PM

Default Using SPDIF port and ADAT port at same time ?

Hi guys,

I wish to record 10 inputs at once... 8 through a Nuendo/RME 8-channel converter going into the ADAT port, and 2 through another 2-channel outboard converter going into the SPDIF port. I wish to bypass all the 001 converters of course.

I believe that this should work, but I did not try it yet. How do you set the clock timing and other settings? Do you set it to "ADAT", or "SPDIF", or...? I did a little experimenting with this once, and was not successful.

Also, what about the word clock situation? I currently run the 001 off the Nuendo/RME clock, but what should I do when I have the extra 2-channel converter hooked up also... or will that just receive the RME clock coming through the 001, via the SPDIF cable itself? Or do I need to somehow send a clock cable from the RME to the 2-channel converter directly? Or??

Any comments, ideas, opinions, etc would be much appreciated. I really hope I am able to run 10 channels of outboard conversion all at the same time for both AD, and DA. I'd love to hear from anyone who already does this.

Much appreciated. -imp
Old 01-27-2002, 03:54 PM

Default Re: Using SPDIF port and ADAT port at same time ?

If your 2-channel converter can receive external clock, then either one can be set as the master clock. If it can only send clocking, like a Rosetta for example, then it will need to be the master, and the RME will receive it’s clock. This can be done with or without a BNC cable connecting the two together...personally I can’t here a difference.
Old 01-27-2002, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Using SPDIF port and ADAT port at same time ?

Try tweaking around with the settings related to periherals, input, and hardware setup. ( I would open it and check, how I have mine setup, but I'm afraid it might change again and I'd have to start over myself.) I use a lexicon accessed via s/pdif which I had a rough time getting set up properly. Intitally the input screen showed what i think your talking about, adat and s/pdif linked , with a limited number or inputs. I think hitting default set-up may have presented new options. It was a pain in the least.