Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 AM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate

Well well well, isn’t this a nice bit of marketing

Quote from the email of a Dealer....

“Hello Pro Tools | Ultimate, Goodbye Pro Tools | HD”

My explanation of the change in title of their flagship program, the same program that literally made them....

Because when you don’t have new innovation, how can you get new sales? just change the name and repackage it.

Marketing 101
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 04-07-2018, 03:43 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Ultimate

I'm sure there is marketing, but I think it also makes sense for a couple reasons.

1. Pro Tools | HD use to require the HD hardware. By calling it Ultimate, it frees that association. When you want to use/buy Pro Tools software, you now have 3 stark choices - First/Free, Normal, Ultimate.

2. The term 'HD' doesn't have the same weight it use to have. HD is associated with 'high definition', but everything is high definition now, even your phone can shoot/record high definition video and audio. As far as video goes, consumers are becoming aware of UHD, 4K, 8K... so HD doesn't really sound that great, especially when that same phone probably has an option to shoot 4K UHD video and perhaps surround audio.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 04-07-2018, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoni View Post
I'm sure there is marketing, but I think it also makes sense for a couple reasons.

1. Pro Tools | HD use to require the HD hardware. By calling it Ultimate, it frees that association. When you want to use/buy Pro Tools software, you now have 3 stark choices - First/Free, Normal, Ultimate.

2. The term 'HD' doesn't have the same weight it use to have. HD is associated with 'high definition', but everything is high definition now, even your phone can shoot/record high definition video and audio. As far as video goes, consumers are becoming aware of UHD, 4K, 8K... so HD doesn't really sound that great, especially when that same phone probably has an option to shoot 4K UHD video and perhaps surround audio.
Good points^^^, And it also might be to clarify between the older "HD" software(now "Ultimate") and HDX/HDN hardware For me, I don't really care what they call it. I just want it to work

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-07-2018, 07:35 PM

Default Protools Ultimate

Well it looks like we get a new name change coming soon. When I looked at the what’s new, I didn’t see anything that I got too excited about. Could be I just don’t necessarily recognize the potential of some of it though.
15 years as PTHD User, Protools 2018 Ultimate, 24 Channel iCon D-Command, Avid Omni, Lynx Aurora 16, (2) BLA Modified 192 I/O’s, DigiPre, Way Too Many Outboard Compressors/EQ’s/ETC, where did all my money go????
Old 04-07-2018, 07:57 PM

"Ultimate" goes better with the subscription model where you are always on the last version; at least that's how I see it because in Spanish "última" means "the last one". In any case, thanks Avid for giving us a new topic to discuss while we freeze tracks with plugins oversampled to x64.
Old 04-07-2018, 08:21 PM

No, YYR123 is right. It is just a bunch of marketing double speak and hype.

Protools Ultimate sounds stupid.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 04-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Default Pro Tools Ultimate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthas Dream View Post
Well it looks like we get a new name change coming soon. When I looked at the what’s new, I didn’t see anything that I got too excited about....

I didn’t see too much new innovation either. Which makes it smell more like a marketing move

I didn’t say it was bad marketing (it isn’t) I think it’s redic b/c there is a very limited substance to the claim. Good yes, HD sure it’s fab (but getting thin around the waist) but Ultimate...well let’s just say they better bring their A Team of coders and make it Ultimately awesome

I’m not on a Subscription plan so it doesn’t matter too much to me.......it just doesn’t seem to have “ultimate” substance
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.

Last edited by YYR123; 04-07-2018 at 09:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:37 AM

I quite liked the Pro Tools HD title... but here we are. I suppose Pro Tools Ultimate isn't any less cheesy than Cubase Element, Artist and Pro... or Studio One Prime, Artist or Professional.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 04-08-2018, 06:49 AM

I don’t care for the name however I do like the fact that updates are be delivered on a more regular basis for bug fixes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 04-08-2018, 07:17 AM

In all honesty, they could call it Pro Tools Gorgonzola for all I care. As long as the app keeps progressing and getting better, that’s all that matters to me.

I mean, there’s a pretty popular car made by Mitsubishi called a Pajero. For those that don’t know, Google what it means in Spanish.

So yeah... there’s far worse things they could have come up with. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk