Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2006, 02:51 AM

Default How master faders do you usually run?

I just use one. Lately I have read on forums to try usually more than one master fader. Does anyone do this?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:48 PM

Default Re: How master faders do you usually run?

I know you'll get lots of opinions here. I use none. I just go for the best mix I can do and leave any master stuff to be done in mastering. The extra step is worth it for me.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-25-2006, 01:21 PM

I do one master, and I generally put mastering plugs in it (usually just T-Racks Soft Clipper or Sony Inflator). If it's going to be mastered elsewhere I simply disable them for the bounce, but I prefer to mix with some idea of how it will sound after mastering.

For mixing live multitrack I subgroup the direct mix to an aux (no plugs) and balance against the room mics (with plugs). Not sure if that's what you meant though.

I think a more interesting question is how many effect aux's people run. I run anywhere from 5-8. I use different reverbs and delays for different aspects to create depth and space.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:08 PM

i mix to sub groups then a master bus so an Aux track is basicly my master.
Old 11-25-2006, 09:02 PM

why would you need more than one master fader?

that being said while I only use one master fader while tracking and mixing but i don't put any plugins on it, i just use it to make sure i'm not clipping
Old 11-25-2006, 09:32 PM

When tracking I can use up to 8 master faders. I use one master fader on each analog output (usually 6 analog outs for headphone mixes, and 1 stereo master left/right).

When mixing I use one master fader. I also mix to subgroups, all bussed to one "master" stereo bus. This bus is the only thing going to the master fader. My master fader only has dither on it.

Check out this link to a post from nikki-k about master faders.
Master Faders
Old 11-27-2006, 01:45 AM

I typically mix my project with one master fader, group all faders bring em downto where there are practically no clips..then put a slight limiter on it.

The only reason I would ever have a few masterfaders would be for more control on multi band compression. I've never experimented with it but I guess you could create a few, put a high cut/low cut/some band pass eq's and compressors on each fader and then blend them. I've done it in other programs but never tried it in pro-tools....be carefull for phasing if you overlap some freqs. You'll hear those pockets drop out and it will make you queezey!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2006, 10:36 AM

thx Third Eye! I forgot about that post...lol...

Master Faders are so misunderstood...but, so is much of PT stuff, and even DAW theories in general. Plus, since gain structuring differs (slightly, at the least) between TDM and Native (LE, MP), understanding is further clouded for some (many?).

One of the things many do not realize is that Master Faders exist ALREADY for EVERY buss and every output. Have 4 active Outputs? Think of those Outputs as being busses to the physical outputs themselves...and as such, being busses, they have Master Faders inline, just prior to leaving.

Once you realize this, then it is time to understand HOW those Master Faders can be of use. Maybe others can provide their "tips n tricks of MF usage"?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:26 PM

If you are bouncing to disk internally, than one master fader is fine. Using none is gambling (with yours or a clients material) because you can't see when it clips. Using 4 or 5 is overkill... someone give me a reason based in fact why you need more than one for a stereo recording bounced in the box.....
Old 11-29-2006, 11:31 AM

Quote:
If you are bouncing to disk internally, than one master fader is fine. Using none is gambling (with yours or a clients material) because you can't see when it clips. Using 4 or 5 is overkill... someone give me a reason based in fact why you need more than one for a stereo recording bounced in the box.....
The Master Faders are there; it is your choice to have them "visible" or not. How you put them to use is completely discretionary. Could be something as simple as a desire/need to observe buss levels at a specific point in the chain, or as complex as multiple instantiated effects + level control. Reasons for specific scenarios of various uses for the latter would take more time to explain...simply, there are uses, which is why Digi implemented this feature of PT. Overkill? No offense, but this would only be relative to the knowledge and experience of the user. For the seasoned engineer, they could be invaluable. And yes, I realize this absolutely begs the question: Well then- please explain? Wish I had more time to properly construct a (suitably) lengthy post to offer at least several cases and reasoning behind each...maybe someone else? Or maybe i will find time later this week...
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.