Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2014, 06:48 AM

Default Blue Boxes in 11HD working?

Is anyone solidly working with PT11HD and a mix of Blue (192IO) and new (Avid 8x8x8 etc)?

I know they are not supported. But neither is the 1622 IO in my current system, and its been kicking for 15 years.

Seriously considering upgrading my HD5 in the next few weeks. I need 32 ins and 8 outs here. More outs is welcome. I run 24/44 and not much else.

If I traded in one of my interfaces and got an 8x8x8, I'd like to use that with my 192IO to get me 32 ins and 8 outs. If that's possible. Then, as finances allow, I'd trade in/ditch the 192 for another Avid interface.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

TDM user way back. PT user since 98.
I'm either working, sick, or both.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:06 AM

Default Re: Blue Boxes in 11HD working?

Antelope Audio Orion 32
http://felipousismix.wix.com/felipousismix

Open Core Mac Pro OSX Ventura | ProTools HD 2023.x | Merging HAPI ADA8 | UAD Quad PCIe | Kali IN-8 | Presonus Temblor 10 | Softube, SSL, Universal Audio, Slate Digital, McDSP, Fabfilter, Plugin Alliance among other plugins
Old 06-27-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
Is anyone solidly working with PT11HD and a mix of Blue (192IO) and new (Avid 8x8x8 etc)?

I know they are not supported. But neither is the 1622 IO in my current system, and its been kicking for 15 years.

Seriously considering upgrading my HD5 in the next few weeks. I need 32 ins and 8 outs here. More outs is welcome. I run 24/44 and not much else.

If I traded in one of my interfaces and got an 8x8x8, I'd like to use that with my 192IO to get me 32 ins and 8 outs. If that's possible. Then, as finances allow, I'd trade in/ditch the 192 for another Avid interface.
Just curious, have you read this thread - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354903 ? Also, what are you gonna do about having enough DSP plugins in order to be able to continue your current workflow habits? I have an HDX system that I can't use due to these issues. I went right back to my HD 6, with 32 in, system on 10. No other way to do what I needed to do to earn my livelihood. Have you done the research? Just some thought's.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:05 AM

I use a blue 192 and avid omni together, been working fine for over a year.
Old 06-27-2014, 08:13 AM

mix of new HD I/O and old 192 working fine here.

best
rich

----------------------------------------
Mac Studio / Ventura, PT 2023.12.HDX, Avid HD I/Os and Metric Halo ULN8, 3xS1/Dock
Also running a Mac Studio Ultra / Ventura / HDX / MTRX / S6
Old 06-27-2014, 08:15 AM

I've been doing research over the years on the issue. What I have isn't "broken" and dropping 7k-10k won't give me a ton more power or anything. That's why I've been content on my current setup. But as stuff ages and needs to be replaced, I find it harder and harder to hold the line on running an old system. Apple doesn't make it easy and I've no desire to move to Windows.

DSP wise I would be ok. Voice wise I rarely hit 180 (RTAS on auxes rrrrrrr!!!). And HDX grants me 256. I can run a ton more comps and EQs and such with RTAS/native than I ever could with TDM so I don't think it'd be an issue.

If you've got nightmare scenarios I'm all ears man. I wanna learn from people's mistakes or troubles whenever I can. My workflow is everything. Like you it's how I keep the lights on, so I don't wanna rock the boat too much. I'd rather not have to redo the world just to use PT 10 or 11, but they've forced the issue. :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
Just curious, have you read this thread - http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=354903 ? Also, what are you gonna do about having enough DSP plugins in order to be able to continue your current workflow habits? I have an HDX system that I can't use due to these issues. I went right back to my HD 6, with 32 in, system on 10. No other way to do what I needed to do to earn my livelihood. Have you done the research? Just some thought's.
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 06-27-2014, 08:17 AM

Felipe, that's USB though, no? I need HDX compatible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feliponk View Post
Antelope Audio Orion 32
HDX and HD NATIVE
48 gig Ram
PT 2019. Something
Sierra
192 IO and 96 IO

Old 06-27-2014, 08:32 AM

Brian, I may be confused about if you're thinking about moving to HDX or just getting more interfaces for your current system.

But even if it's just interfaces, the math may be more in your favor to trade to an HDX system. I mean value for money, even though it would cost more.

For example, if all you do is trade in an existing HD interface for an HD 8x8, it's $3000, because they only give you $1000 credit (normally $4000).

But if you trade in an HD3, plus an interface, to get HDX and an HD 8x8, it's $7000. So for $4000 more, you get your 8x8, plus the HDX card, plus HD11 and HD10 software, giving you the extra voices/tracks, etc. For another $1000 beyond that, you could get the HD 16x16 instead.

Since you have an HD5, you could sell off the additional two cards and offset your costs a little more.

Don't know if this makes sense or not for what you're trying to do.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianjanthony View Post
I've been doing research over the years on the issue. What I have isn't "broken" and dropping 7k-10k won't give me a ton more power or anything. That's why I've been content on my current setup. But as stuff ages and needs to be replaced, I find it harder and harder to hold the line on running an old system. Apple doesn't make it easy and I've no desire to move to Windows.

DSP wise I would be ok. Voice wise I rarely hit 180 (RTAS on auxes rrrrrrr!!!). And HDX grants me 256. I can run a ton more comps and EQs and such with RTAS/native than I ever could with TDM so I don't think it'd be an issue.

If you've got nightmare scenarios I'm all ears man. I wanna learn from people's mistakes or troubles whenever I can. My workflow is everything. Like you it's how I keep the lights on, so I don't wanna rock the boat too much. I'd rather not have to redo the world just to use PT 10 or 11, but they've forced the issue. :-(
The things that I can't do are punch into an advanced mix at a low enough buffer, as I mix as I go, that has tons of Native plugins, some to have to track through. because there are not enough DSP versions available. The other thing is just the plain old lack of stability at a low buffer setting. I have no desire to use workarounds in a professional setting if I don't have to. I also can't afford down time due to having to reboot too often. If any of this has changed as of late it would be awesome news. Unfortunately, to my knowledge at least, I don't think that it has.
Old 06-27-2014, 10:57 AM

Running a 16x16 with an input expanded 192, HDN, without issue.