Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video

Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 AM

Default Transfer Tracks from (3) Tascam DA-88 to Pro Tools

Hey Everyone,

So I need someone who can help me with transferring data from 3 DA-88s to Pro Tools. I read some GREAT information from another forum; however, I have some unanswered questions/some things that do not connect.

I have the Sync i/o, 192, DA-88, and Pro Tools. I also have a Tascam IF 88ae... to my understanding we do not need it, but maybe it can help with something? Just throwing that out there.

Can someone who knows about this post on this forum and we can start a discussion for myself and others wondering about this stuff? Or do you know someone I can talk to that can help? It's difficult to find information about them on the internet. Would appreciate it very much! I'll post my questions once someone gives me the go ahead!

Sincerely,
Waldoctg
Old 12-30-2013, 09:15 AM

Default Re: Transfer Tracks from (3) Tascam DA-88 to Pro Tools

You'll find plenty of people here who can help you so go ahead and post your questions ASAP and someone will respond as they can.
Mix Tech/Assistant Sound Editor
Old 12-30-2013, 10:07 AM

OK, thanks a lot! Here are the questions.

1.) We have a Tascam IF-88ae, so I am wondering how we can use this in this setup. Is it necessary at all?

2.) On another forum, a user said to do set up like this:
  • DA88 --> TDIF --> wordclock from 192 -(back to)-> DA88
  • Timecode from Sync I/O --> DA88

Here are my questions:

Regarding the DA88 --> TDIF --> wordclock from 192 -(back to)-> DA88...
  1. I've read that I need to terminate the word clock input. I've read this is done by using a BNC T and connecting the wordclock from 192 into one side of T and put a 75ohm terminator on the other side of the T. How does this work though if I am using a TDIF cable? It obviously will not fit in the BNC T...
  2. Do I need to use the DA-88 in digital to record into PT?
    If so, how do I use DA-88 in digital (through TDIF) and connect to the 192? They both use the PW-88D/TDIF (unless I am getting my cables mixed up) and so there would not be enough ports.

Regarding the Timecode from Sync I/O --> DA88...

How do I hook up sync i/o to DA-88? Would it be through the RS-422 (I think the same as SMTPE) cable? A bit of clarification would be great.

This is what the back of the DA-88 looks like. There is a sync card.
http://www.farviewrecording.com/pix/DA-88-AB.jpg

Thanks so much.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldoctg View Post

1.) We have a Tascam IF-88ae, so I am wondering how we can use this in this setup. Is it necessary at all?

You probably won't need it unless you want to go AES into your 192.

Here are my questions:

1. I've read that I need to terminate the word clock input. I've read this is done by using a BNC T and connecting the wordclock from 192 into one side of T and put a 75ohm terminator on the other side of the T. How does this work though if I am using a TDIF cable? It obviously will not fit in the BNC T..
The work clock is a BNC and the T should be on a swivel. Turn it to fit. I remember when I did this in the past I sometimes had to cut down the case on the TDIF cable on the 192 side to get it to fit if I also had an AES DB25 connected.

Another thing you can do, since you are only transferring FROM the DA-88s, is to have the DA-88 be the clock master and have Pro Tools clock to the incomming digital signal.

If I remember correctly, the 75Ohm resistor on the BNC T was to get the DA-88 to clock to Pro Tools when recording into the DA-88.
  1. Do I need to use the DA-88 in digital to record into PT?
    If so, how do I use DA-88 in digital (through TDIF) and connect to the 192? They both use the PW-88D/TDIF (unless I am getting my cables mixed up) and so there would not be enough ports.
The TDIF cable is Bi-Directional. One port handles both in and out. Be sure to set the Hardware IO in Pro Tools to use the correct inputs though.

How do I hook up sync i/o to DA-88? Would it be through the RS-422 (I think the same as SMTPE) cable? A bit of clarification would be great.

You will need to use the LTC out on the DA-88 which is an RCA jack. You will need a cable that goes RCA to XLR. You do not need 9-pin control for this.

Randall

Thanks so much.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:

You probably won't need it unless you want to go AES into your 192.

Oh. OK. Thanks for the information.

Here are my questions:

1. I've read that I need to terminate the word clock input. I've read this is done by using a BNC T and connecting the wordclock from 192 into one side of T and put a 75ohm terminator on the other side of the T. How does this work though if I am using a TDIF cable? It obviously will not fit in the BNC T..
The work clock is a BNC and the T should be on a swivel. Turn it to fit. I remember when I did this in the past I sometimes had to cut down the case on the TDIF cable on the 192 side to get it to fit if I also had an AES DB25 connected.

Another thing you can do, since you are only transferring FROM the DA-88s, is to have the DA-88 be the clock master and have Pro Tools clock to the incomming digital signal.

If I remember correctly, the 75Ohm resistor on the BNC T was to get the DA-88 to clock to Pro Tools when recording into the DA-88.

OK so: (OUT) EXT. CLOCK on the 192 --> (IN) WORD SYNC on the DA-88 using a BNC cable (and maybe use a BNC T with 75 ohm terminator on the DA-88) for the world clock.

Ah, OK. Is there anyway for you to find out/do you know anyone who knows for sure? I want to know ensure as I've found other forums say that it is needed. INFACT, I found one forum where a guy said this: "Depending on the firmware version the termination setting is either done in the menu, or dip switches.
So you wouldn't need a physical terminator." ...So he is saying we can terminate internally which would be the BEST situation... Does anyone care to jump in to the conversation if this is true?

Finally, I am looking to make PT the clock master.

1. Do I need to use the DA-88 in digital to record into PT?

The TDIF cable is Bi-Directional. One port handles both in and out. Be sure to set the Hardware IO in Pro Tools to use the correct inputs though.

OK. Gotcha. I thought I'd use a TDIF cable in order to use the world clock from the 192 into the DA-88. Turns out you answered this question by telling me that I use the BNC cable for the world clock from the 192 to the DA-88. So I won't run in to problems like not enough ports as I'm not using the TDIF for the world clock from the 192. Right?

You will need to use the LTC out on the DA-88 which is an RCA jack. You will need a cable that goes RCA to XLR. You do not need 9-pin control for this.

OK. So I should go: (OUT) TIME CODE (RCA) on the DA-88 --> (IN) LTC (XLR) on the Sync I/O using a RCA (male) to XLR (female) cable.

One question I have though is shouldn't I be going IN from the DA-88 and OUT from the Sync I/O? I mean that makes more sense if I am using the timecode from the Sync I/O. If I am wrong, please correct me.

Thanks so much, Randall. You're awesome.
Old 12-31-2013, 07:59 AM

You can have the 192 clock to the TDIF cable and still transfer over that same cable if you want. I have don't hours and hours of transfers like that and they come out fine.

The 75Ohm resistor in the BNC-T is for recording INTO the DA-88, which you won't be doing. You can put it on, as it won't hurt you, but if you have the DA-88 be the clock master and have your 192 sync to the TDIF input (or AES if you use your IF-88) then you will be golden.

You are going to want Pro Tools to slave the the DA-88's time code, it just makes life easier.

Randall
Old 12-31-2013, 09:27 AM

Randall's suggestions are good

I would look at borrowing or renting a 192D or 192 w/ an extra Digital Card to capture all 24 tracks in one pass

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-31-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
You can have the 192 clock to the TDIF cable and still transfer over that same cable if you want. I have don't hours and hours of transfers like that and they come out fine.

The 75Ohm resistor in the BNC-T is for recording INTO the DA-88, which you won't be doing. You can put it on, as it won't hurt you, but if you have the DA-88 be the clock master and have your 192 sync to the TDIF input (or AES if you use your IF-88) then you will be golden.

You are going to want Pro Tools to slave the the DA-88's time code, it just makes life easier.

Randall
OK. Thanks so much. I'll use the DA-88 as the master clock then.
Please clarify:That means I'll go (OUT) WORD SYNC on the DA-88 --> (IN) EXT. CLOCK on the 192 using a BNC cable. Right?

So regarding the Sync I/O...
I should go: (OUT) TIME CODE (RCA) on the DA-88 --> (IN) LTC (XLR) on the Sync I/O using a RCA (male) to XLR (female) cable.

Please clarify: this means I am using the timecode from the DA-88 instead of PT. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
Randall's suggestions are good

I would look at borrowing or renting a 192D or 192 w/ an extra Digital Card to capture all 24 tracks in one pass
Definitely.

Actually, this leads into my next question. So I will need to get an an extra digital card so I can run two of the DA-88s to the digital cards and the last DA-88 to the analog card. Right? Also, I'll need three TDIF to (8) 1/4 jack cables , or just three normal TDIF cables... Just saw what Randell said... I'll just use the TDIF cables.

Last edited by Waldoctg; 12-31-2013 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Just saw Randell say, "...I have don't hours and hours of transfers like that and they come out fine." Got it!
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 PM

any one 192 has 16 inputs so you could add a Digital Card to your 192 if you can find one and do 16 tracks but to do 24 tracks you need 2 192s
you could run tapes 1 & 2 then run 1 & 3 only recording 3, you need 1 to keep TC correct

I would run WC from the DA-88 to the Sync I/O and have Pro Tools TC chase record the DA-88s

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 12-31-2013, 01:07 PM

Why can't I just use the analog card on my 192 as well as two additional digital cards?

Quote:
I would run WC from the DA-88 to the Sync I/O and have Pro Tools TC chase record the DA-88s
Oh OK. So that's why I go:
(OUT) TIME CODE (RCA) on the DA-88 --> (IN) LTC (XLR) on the Sync I/O using a RCA (male) to XLR (female) cable. Right?