Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2011, 06:28 AM

Smile So many choices.

Good morning DUC. Those of you who may have read my previous posts will remember that I'm an old geezer with a little bit of a handicap due to a mild stroke a few years ago. That said, I need some advice. I'm at a point in learning my way around Pro tools (9) to where I feel confident enough to spend some $$ on new and better equipment. I am pretty adept at using my Alesis HD24 hard disk system along with my analog mixer. Learning on these was straight forward and simple, being much like using a mixer with an analog tape machine. So I'm used to hands on mixing but in Pt's the mouse is a tedious task for me. I want to replace my mixing desk, a Mackie 24/8 which is getting old like me, with a more modern, user friendly mixer capable of hands on mixing in PT's 9. I would like to stay with a 24 track format but can probably get by with 16. I record every thing myself on individual tracks so Mic pres won't be an issue, (most have at least 8 and that's more than adequate since I'll probably never have an opportunity to record an entire band). Money is always a consideration so I don't want to mortgage the farm! Also something with file transfer capabilities would be useful since It would enable me to access and remix previous recordings from the HD24. Any advice is welcome. Thanks
Old 12-08-2011, 11:58 AM

Default Re: So many choices.

the easiest way would be a control surface. Now that you are getting more familiar with protools... swing by your music dealer's shop and look at some of the control surface options for Protools.

Having worked on everything from old Neve and API consoles, to more modern SSL and Harrison consoles, to Mackie 32/8s, to yamamha 02R and Mackie D8Bs, to Euphonix system 5s...

I must say I REALLY like using control surfaces with PT. Look at the Euphonix Artist series control surfaces as well as the C|24 and Command|8 from Avid. You get all the workflow benefits of a console with all of the recall, editing and saving capabilities of a computer workstation.

Transfer all your projects into PT using ADAT optical or ethernet from the HD24 and you will be rocking!

Derek Jones Linkedin
Megatrax Recording Studios
Megatrax Studios Yelp Page
A-list Music Artist Page
Old 12-11-2011, 06:25 AM

O.G., Thanks for the advice. I will certainly look in to the options you mentioned. Unfortunately I've already ruled out some of them due to the price sticker but the flexibility they offer is atractive. Not knowing how long one of my age group can expect to remain productive, I would want to be reasonably certain that what ever I decide to purchase would be electronically trouble free, (unlike the 24/8), at least for the duration of the warrantee period. In your opinion, which of the mid priced control surfaces are more reliable in that respect? (Just your personal opinion on this) Thanks.
Old 12-11-2011, 07:40 AM

While I realize its technically a dead product, if you are comfy on PT9 and don't feel the need to constantly upgrade, a used DIGI003 controller is still a solid control surface(and not a bad interface either). PT10 will be the last version to support it, but you can likely get one for a lot less than the ArtistMix stuff. Or look at the Command8 if you are content with your interface. Its not as good as the 003, but still a solid controller. The last option I would point to is, the Tascam US2400(can anyone verify this works with PT(???). Its not ideal(has no scribble strip to ID the tracks), but its 24 faders at a decent price...one old dog to another

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-15-2011, 07:10 AM

Albee1959. What do you mean, technically a dead issue? Is Pt's 9 obsolete or no longer supported by Avid?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Avid has stated PT10 is the last version you will be able to use the 002/003 or Command 8 with (as well as current PT HD Accel cards & "blue line series" interface 96 & 192 i/o).

Which means I'll have to retire my trusty 002 & find something else too as I mix with faders. NO mouse here.

Darryl Ramm
Old 12-16-2011, 06:40 AM

So I guess Pro tools 9 falls in to the same category (?). Since I'm at a beginner stage, and probably will be for some time, I assume that I'll be ok with my current M-Audio ver. 9.0.0 upgrade, barring software problems. I'll continue to search for an affordable control surface though. I can't imagine using a mouse as it applies to pc music recording for ever.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Wetzel View Post
Albee1959. What do you mean, technically a dead issue? Is Pt's 9 obsolete or no longer supported by Avid?
I was referring to the 003 being discontinued, and that PT11 will not support it.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-16-2011, 10:21 PM

While not in the same price range and not having as hyped pre amps as the oo3 or the c|24, the M-audio projectMix I/O will give you most of the same benefits in term of controls as the other two. I do say most. It's 1600$ (new) which makes it more affordable, can support 18 inputs at once, and has all the basic functionalities that you would need.
  • Transport section
  • scrub wheel
  • zoom controls
  • Pans
  • track enlargement
  • waveform/midi notes enlargement
  • window toggle
  • mutes
  • record enable
  • solo
  • channel select
  • channel banking
  • 8 channel banking
  • plugins instantiation (inserting a plugins. Although unless you already have a plugin window open it wont open the window for you, but you can insert plugins from the controller itself, so no need for a mouse there)
  • plugins controls
  • motorized faders
  • compatible with other daws

And a few others, but i was just naming the most important. If you don't want to spend in the 10 k for a c|24 (new from the store) or a 3k (new) for the 003, the projectmix is a good choice. It should also be compatible with pt 11 because it uses Asio drivers.

If you want to learn using a control surface with pro tools without cashing out a lot of dough, this could be a good choice.

Wave-T.com