Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM

Default PT11 no video output through MojoDX

Buying a brand new system does not give me weekend access to Avid phone support, apparently, only email support. I'm hoping someone here can shed some light and help me get this happening in time for sessions early next week.

Pro Tools 11 installed and working okay except movies cannot be output through MojoDx. Video Engine is enabled in Hardware Setup. DNxHD and ProRes movies play in window on desktop okay. The Output Options button on the video track is greyed out. A pdf sheet tells me to select "Options/Enable Video Hardware". There is nothing like that to select. Should there be? I suspect I am overlooking something really obvious.

Here's what I've done so far. Double checked compatibilities. De-installed/re-installed PT11.0.2. Win7 reports there is no driver installed for the PCIe card in slot 3, which is the MojoDX interface. Avid does not offer a separate driver download as far as I can see and it should have been installed with Pro Tools anyhow. The MojoDX's front panel has a LINK led that always flashes yellow and green, never steady. The MojoDX does automatically power up and down with the cpu, so there is some connection there on some level.

All brand new hardware, so it is possible something is not working out of the box. HP Z420 3.2gHz, Win 7/SP1. Slot orders: 1=FW 800, 2=Quadro K4000, 3=Mojo PCIe, 4=HDX, 5=open, 6=open.

Can you help me? Should there be a driver installed for the MojoDx card? Have I overlooked a setting in PT11?
Old 12-07-2013, 02:57 PM

Default Re: PT11 no video output through MojoDX

I do not know this will work for you as I am using BM cards here but one possible way to install all you need could be to download Avid Media Composer 7.0.2
Choose to Install individually (rather than whole Suite) and install Media Composer.
During the install say yes to install DX hardware.
Open Media Composer using 30 day trial mode to activate it.
You may then be advised to power cycle the CPU and the Mojo to update and reset the firmware

Then try PT 11.
On PC's here PT 11 and MC 7.0.2 happily coexist (not open at the same time).
Good luck
Andrew
Old 12-07-2013, 03:09 PM

I thought there was an additional files folder where there were driver installers? Not near my machine right now otherwise I'd look!

Pete
Old 12-07-2013, 04:38 PM

Thank you both, Andrew and Peter.

Andrew, good idea! It would give a better clue as to whether this is a missing driver or some other problem. I know that PT10+PT11+MC7 are not supported all at the same time, so I'll probably have to reinstall stuff anyway. Maybe that's what I'll try first thing in the morning.

Peter, there is a Drivers folder whose only contents are a folder called Digidesign Installation Disk, and nothing looks relevant in there. I poked around a little more and found an application called HWInstall, inside Avid/Pro Tools/Video Engine/SupportingFiles/HWupdaters/DX. When I run that I get a message that says "HWInstall failed: Could access neither Nitris nor Avid DX hardware"

Maybe the MC7 install is a good idea. I already own a couple of MC6 licenses but no doubt PT11 would not like that.
Old 12-07-2013, 05:16 PM

peter you definitely need to install the driver for the mojo DX. I would try to update it through the device manager. Right click on the PCIe device with no driver and select update and point windows to the folder with the DX updater in it. I think that will get you there.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 12-07-2013, 05:43 PM

Success. No need to install or launch MC, just download it, see a procedure below. PT11 is now happy.

Avid needs to fix their windows PT11.0.2 installer and/or make the driver downloadable. I bought MojoDX through my dealer specifically to use with PT, not with MC7. I currently have no interest in a co-install of the two.

Thank you very much Andrew for your fix and for all responses.

Here is how I would do this again:
1. Install PT11. If MojoDX is not working...
2. Download and unpack the free trial version of Media Composer 7
3. Open Device Manager (right click Computer, click Properties, click Device Manager)
4. Look in the list for an unknown device in the slot you put the DX interface card (slot 3 for me). It is unknown because the driver is not installed
5. Double-click that device, click Driver tab, click Update Driver
6. First allow Device Manager to search your computer for an updated driver. If it doesn't find one (it did not for me yesterday), manually browse to the unpacked installer's folder. You are looking for a file called AvidDX.sys. On my machine it was located in MediaComposer\Program Files 64\Avid\Avid Media Composer\SupportingFiles\WindowsDrivers\DXDriver. By pointing to this folder, Device Manager was able to select the correct version of the driver (x86 version for my machine)

I made a copy of the WindowsDrivers folder (with subfolders) and placed it in Program Files\Avid\Pro Tools, and then deleted the Media Composer installer files. PT11 is now happy with MojoDX.

Last edited by Postman; 12-08-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: updated post and added a way to obtain the necessary driver
Old 12-09-2013, 09:57 AM

Thanks for taking a basic idea Postman and developing it into a solid, useful, workaround. Posting the details for others to follow will be very helpful

Andrew
Old 12-12-2013, 05:00 AM

I guess I helped out Avid Support too, because I've gotten no response from them since submitting for email support 5 days ago (using my "complimentary support code" that came with the MojoDX). They must have followed this thread with extreme interest to learn my new system is now able to run.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:18 PM

Information from Avid for Users of DX hardware with Protools
The drivers are a separate download (not included on the PT 11.1 disk image).
You can download the latest DX drivers (version 5.8.0) from the Avid account or from the drivers page.

The Avid accounts are live now.
DX Driver 5.8.0 Installer (Mac) Download
DX Driver 5.8.0 Installer (Win) Download

The drivers page should be live very soon with the recent changes (adding the HD 11.1 drivers and the DX drivers – with a new Video section)
http://www.avid.com/drivers