Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2004, 01:11 AM

Default radar to pt?

Hi,

I'm booked to do a recording session, and I would like to overdub my parts in my home town (so as not to travel) with a protools le rig. However, the studio where the basic parts are going to be recorded, uses the Otari Radar system. Any ideas of what would be the best way for me to play my parts with PTLE so that they would work within the original Radar session for mixing?

Any help would be appreciated

Ricu
Old 11-27-2004, 01:18 AM

Default Re: radar to pt?

I forget. Does radar use a host system or is it completely self reliant. I know with the Mackie HDR, you can import PT session files into and out of the unit. I'm sure a pro-grade RADAR can do something along those lines too. Ask the studio if that's at all possible.

Quick question though. Why do you want to overdub stuff at home? If your spending time and money at a studio that I would assume runs some pretty high-grade gear, doing parts at home would be a detriment to the sound. BUT, I don't know what you use at home. For all I know you may be the first guy I know to have bought a liquid channel and a Telefunken ELAM for an LE system.
Old 11-27-2004, 01:27 AM

I won't record at home, just home TOWN. The other studio would require a rather unconvenient boat trip and being away from home for a couple of nighs. A family matter, basically.

I can ask about the PT import in Radar, but I have to be able to play to the basic tracks recorded in Radar, so the export2pt function in Radar would be more crucial, since I can always just give them WAVE files. I just need to be shure that there won't be any problems because of different clocks or something if they decide to just send me a stereo file to play to.
Old 11-27-2004, 02:37 AM

I would just ask the studio. If the Radar has hot swap drives(And they do), I would imagine it'd be reasonable to expect multi-platform compatability.

Hell, call Otari and ask them.
Old 11-27-2004, 10:02 AM

HERE... e-mail them I'm 99% sure you can do what your asking.
Radars' converters are suppose to be sweet!!!!!
Old 11-27-2004, 10:47 AM

Radar is cool & pretty easy to use!The problem somtimes is that the studio might only use Hi-8 (not DAT, Xobyte or somthing its called)for back-up which is incredibly slow, or rewuire you to use your own drive which is no point if you dont have a Radar at home!!!
But i know for a fact that there is a file transfer protocal written for Radar to PT5!just do a bit of research before you go in on that one.The studio might even have an LE rig set up for that purpose anyways so call them & ask!
Or if the Radar has a DVD drive you can simply convert the files & burn them!
Old 11-27-2004, 11:24 AM

I used to work for a studio which used RADAR and we had to transfer files to PT all the time. RADAR records to scsi drives and backs up to Exabyte. You won't be able to just bring your own drive or get an exabyte drive of your own to load onto your computer. It's all proprietary. The quickest, most reliable way is to just do a real-time digital transfer into PT. RADAR will sync immediatly and very accurately to almost any sync source. We were able to do 24 digital tracks from RADAR into PT at once, so it was a fairly quick process (1 time through the song). But if your inputs are limited you may have to make multiple passes. Not a big deal for one or two songs, but if you have 10 songs of 24 tracks.... it'll be a long night.

There is a protocol for opening RADAR files in PT's, but I remember it wasn't very straight-forward. We never implemented it because we had already set things up to easily do dig-transfers between systems. I kind of remember the process required RADAR to convert all the audio files recorded (similar to consolidating regions in PT) which then had to be backed up (to exabyte) and then you needed to open the exabyte on another system and from there drag the audio files into your PT session. It was a process that probably worked if you were set up for it, but not something you could just "do" if you had to.

I would find it hard to believe that the studio with the RADAR hasn't had to deal with PT sessions, either coming in or going out of their studio. They probably have something set up, an efficient way to handle this.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:29 PM

Thanks for the replies, folks! I'll talk to the engineer and see what can be done.

ricu
Old 11-27-2004, 07:17 PM

ricupad, I want to do the same thing. Let us know what you find out.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:29 AM

We do this a lot in Nashville.
There is a program called DAMSEL for Mac.
You yank the SCSI drive out of the RADAR
and stick it in a SCSI case attached to a Mac.
Then you tell the program what you want the files saved as
(AIFF, WAV, SDII) and it converts the RADAR files for you.
Then stick those on a firewire drive and bring 'em wherever.
Hope this helps.

d
Pro Tools 9.0.2
Motormix
Rosetta 200
Rosetta 800
3g RAM
1T System drive
1T Internal audio drive