Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2017, 10:25 AM

Default Re: i7 MAC MINI or IMAC i7

4 separate imac's all the same issue and none had a fusion drive? That is beyond bizzare, almost unbelievable, I do believe you, it's just very, very bizzare.

When the other iMacs arrived, By chance did you clone the new iMacs drive from the one prior or so fresh installs of everything?

We can all suite that I7 based iMac have been massively successful with all DAW's, at least the ines that do not have fusion drives. I've never even heard of a story even remotely similar to yours.

I'm willing to be that you most likely had either corrupted installers for some plugins or other DAW related software.

The odds of having a single iMac with any issues is very slim, but 4? No way it's an issue that is Mac related.

On a separate note, if you're struggling with and I7 Mac Mini with 32 gig of RAM, I'm not so sure how much and I7 base iMac is going to make much difference.

Sounds like to me you need to change some of your practices. Like committing VI's, choices of plug-ins, etc.

MacPro 5.1 (12) Core (2009 MacPro 8 Core Upgraded to a 12 Core MacPro), 56 Gig Ram, SSD System & 3 - 2TB Drives, OSX 10.9.5, Windows 10 Via Bootcamp
Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
4 separate imac's all the same issue and none had a fusion drive? That is beyond bizzare, almost unbelievable, I do believe you, it's just very, very bizzare.

When the other iMacs arrived, By chance did you clone the new iMacs drive from the one prior or so fresh installs of everything?

We can all suite that I7 based iMac have been massively successful with all DAW's, at least the ines that do not have fusion drives. I've never even heard of a story even remotely similar to yours.

I'm willing to be that you most likely had either corrupted installers for some plugins or other DAW related software.

The odds of having a single iMac with any issues is very slim, but 4? No way it's an issue that is Mac related.

On a separate note, if you're struggling with and I7 Mac Mini with 32 gig of RAM, I'm not so sure how much and I7 base iMac is going to make much difference.

Sounds like to me you need to change some of your practices. Like committing VI's, choices of plug-ins, etc.
Thank you for your reply. All were fresh instals. I was using the same installer that I did download and store on a separate drive to use to install on all 4 Imacs.

I am using a Mac Mini i7 Duo Core with 16 gigs of Ram. I am just curious will there be an amazing change from this to the i7 Quad 32 gigs of Ram.

I was writing and reading from the Same internal 1 TB SSD internal Drive. There is another thread going on for that topic at the moment.

I am glad to hear you are having no issues.

I would just have Protools and no other DAW software installed except Logic on those Imacs. PURE HELL!!

I am willing to try again. The issue is having to max the buffer at 1024 and still get CPU dropouts. Yes I can freeze tracks etc, but you would think only running a few VI's and 20 tracks with plugs I would get farther then this!

Thanks again!
Dave
Apollo 8 Quad Blackface with Satellite
Logic Pro X 10.4.1
Waves Suite
www.davemartone.con
Old 03-02-2017, 11:39 AM

I have an iMac retina 5 g with 32 G of Ram and a hybrid drive. Paid $ 3500 CAD. Very bad. It is slow and its fan blows very hard with PT. Impossible for me to mix with this truck fan.

I bought a Mac Pro Mid-2010, 32 G Ram, and I placed 3 separate SSDs for OS, PT sessions and instruments. No problem. Never blowing.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 03-03-2017, 10:29 AM

First step...lose the Fusion Drive. They are death for Pro Tools.
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Weed View Post
First step...lose the Fusion Drive. They are death for Pro Tools.
+1

• Etc.
Old 03-05-2017, 08:24 AM

I have 2 Mac Mini's. Duo core 2010, Quad core i7 2012. Finally I moved to 2010-2012 Mac Pro Towers that have 6 and 12 cores. I just never liked the idea of a Pro book laptop or iMac because I wanted more CPU cores. But they are very popular. There must be something else connected that is causing issues like cables or external cases.

Are you using a separate external drive to record on with the iMac? I have been using Samsung Evo 850 Pro and OWC Mercury Extreme SSD drives.

I moved to the towers strictly for CPU power to handle track count and plugin processing as my projects and work grew. It also provides me with plenty of power for VI's.

I am running the Mac Pro's on 10.10.5. The i7 quad core mini was just re tasked to 10.12.1 I think. Pro Tools 12.7.1 and Logic X 10.2.2. All boot and record drives are SSD. Storage drives in towers are WD Black 7200 2TB.

I am also a longtime PC user from the early 80's.
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber
Old 03-05-2017, 02:50 PM

The Imac was connected to professional Glyph 3 USB drives, virtual instruments and sessions on different drives. The problem is not there. The problem is in designing this MAC, everything is too tight. The 5k screen also uses resources. And the fan is a laptop fan. I could have purchased an internal SSD instead of a hybrid, but I would consider that all this would fix the defects of the device. If you read my story, I'm (for music) on an old Mac Pro Mid 2010, all in SSD. And all is fine. The Imac is useful for the rest. Even if for the graphics it blows and leaves its roll of color ... Bad purchase!

• Etc.
Old 03-05-2017, 04:21 PM

Dave how about you Are you using a separate external drive to record on with the iMac?
PT 2022.12 studio, Cubase 12 Pro, 12 Core Mac Pro 6,1 96GB OS X 12.6.6, Mac Mini i7 QC 16GB, Digico Soundgrid DLI, Revive Audio 96IO & 192 DBox & 2BussLT for summing, Waves, SoundToys and a pile of other plugins. NI Maschine/Komplete Ultimate 12 and many many, too many Kontakt Libraries.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmT..._as=subscriber
Old 03-05-2017, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
The Imac was connected to professional Glyph 3 USB drives, virtual instruments and sessions on different drives. The problem is not there. The problem is in designing this MAC, everything is too tight. The 5k screen also uses resources. And the fan is a laptop fan. I could have purchased an internal SSD instead of a hybrid, but I would consider that all this would fix the defects of the device. If you read my story, I'm (for music) on an old Mac Pro Mid 2010, all in SSD. And all is fine. The Imac is useful for the rest. Even if for the graphics it blows and leaves its roll of color ... Bad purchase!

and yet,
I'm having no difficulty at all with an iMac i7, with internal SSD and external thunderbolt and firewire 800 drives for audio.
so apparently my iMac isn't exhibiting a problem in the machine's "design"...

it's been said on this forum and elsewhere for a long time to avoid Fusion drives for Pro Tools.
Old 03-06-2017, 04:02 AM

I understand. I think there is still a design problem that "forces" to put SSD to compensate for a weakness (because a good hard drive at 7200 rpm is slower than a SSD, but it does not overheat any of my computers , For 20 years). But, well, let's say that my mistake, here, was indeed not to know this warning about hybrid drives. If Avid pointed it out in his specs, it would not hurt. I also find it uncomfortable to be obliged to use Thunderbolt (very expensive) to correct the idea of Apple to remove the PCIe, which is in fact the reference in speed, inexpensively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
and yet,
I'm having no difficulty at all with an iMac i7, with internal SSD and external thunderbolt and firewire 800 drives for audio.
so apparently my iMac isn't exhibiting a problem in the machine's "design"...

it's been said on this forum and elsewhere for a long time to avoid Fusion drives for Pro Tools.

• Etc.